ATR Lichfield

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by GreyInTheLaw, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I'm going for Basic in 6 1/2 weeks to ATR Lichfield, R Sigs obviously. So I took a look around for information on Lichfield itself and thought that if I post a thread here it'll be easier.

So I'm just looking for anyone that has any information on what Lichfield is like and what I can expect there.

2. Last I saw of it-half decent JRC with meat feast pizza :thumright: not that you'll get in there much at first. There's also great set of football pitches and golf courses to run around (run all over pitches, around the golf course), oh and a most picturesqe quarry that you must visit someday. You'll love it.

Isn't there a canal or small river near there too?

edit: didn't want to give the game away too much.

3. You dont need to know what its like there, go there with a blank canvas, not expecting anything other than getting your phase 1 done ;)

When you are there you arent there to appreciate the fine cuisine, the idyllic scenery and even the fantastic weather, you are there to keep your head down, mouth shut and eyes and ears wide open :)

(i dont say that in a nasty way ;) ).

If you keep an open mind you wont go there with any pre-conceived misconceptions about it, its not Bad Lads Army its CMS(R), you may or may not like it, but after finishing it you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

If you are going in 61/2 weeks then the only thing you should be concentrating on at the moment is your fitness, you can turn up there and run with the fit club, and get noticed quietly or join fat club (for those that didnt bother putting in some effort before hand) and get noticed the noisy way ;)

Lastly if your fitness is squared away, make sure your personal admin is too, dont go down there taking all your worries with you, go there having sorted out your life first, no outside worries in training means total focus on what is being thrown at you :)

4. Haha, didn't mean it like that! Wasn't after the fine quisine. Stuff like are the Gym facilities any good, what's actually on the site, because I've heard it's one of the smallest ATRs, only holding half of what Pirbright and others do, recruity wise.

5. It is a small camp, you'll be living in roughly 12 man rooms with your section. The blocks are very old, but in reasonable condition because of the frequent 'bull' nights.
    The gas chamber is a 9x9 tent over by the Sgts mess. The cook house is always heaving. The food is ok.
    There is an old quarry out the back of camp somewhere, you'll have some fun PT sessions there!
    Used to be quite a few PARA instructors there, not sure if there still are.
    You will not have time to go to the gym, i actually don't think you're allowed in your own time.

ATR Lichenstein you'll love it.

6. I wouldnt worry too much about the gym facilities, you will get well acquainted with them whether you like them or not ;)

And the time that you arent in the gym you will either be worrying about when you are next in there (fat club) or spending time concentrating on other stuff (fit club), Lichfield is a smaller ATR than Pirbiright however it still has all the stuff required for troops to complete Phase 1 :)

That as a recruiter is the first time i have ever heard anyone ask what the gym facilities are like at an ATR, most people hope and pray that the gym doesnt get mentioned! :D

7. It only gets better after you've been taught the correct way to do a press-up ;)

8. ATR(L) is small but a reasonable old place, soon to be closing incidentally! Turn up, keep low, move fast and you shoudlnt have any major dramas.

A couple of words to the wise though. If you have smart clothes to turn up in.... use them, it sets the right tone with the instructors from the word go.

Dont stick your head above the parapet in the first few weeks, do what you are told when you are told and do it to the best of your abilities (you would be amazed at how many people struggle with that)

Use the 6 weeks you have to square your fitness away, if you can do a timed 1.5 mile run twice a week before you turn up, you will be in a much better state than most who start here.

Do your best to close all loops in your life before you turn up, nothing worse than being distracted because your 14 year old girlfriend misses you!

Above all, as previously mentioned, turn up with an open mind. Take everything with a pinch of salt and remember. The field army is not like basic training, think of the CMS(R) as the first of many hoops you have to jump through. Learn everything you can in your time here because everything you are taught is done for a reason!

Have fun,

PS, I look forward to meeting you in 6 weeks mwahahahaha

9. ATR(L) is small but a reasonable old place, soon to be closing incidentally! Turn up, keep low, move fast and you shoudlnt have any major dramas.

A couple of words to the wise though. If you have smart clothes to turn up in.... use them, it sets the right tone with the instructors from the word go.

Dont stick your head above the parapet in the first few weeks, do what you are told when you are told and do it to the best of your abilities (you would be amazed at how many people struggle with that)

Use the 6 weeks you have to square your fitness away, if you can do a timed 1.5 mile run twice a week before you turn up, you will be in a much better state than most who start here.

Do your best to close all loops in your life before you turn up, nothing worse than being distracted because your 14 year old girlfriend misses you!

Above all, as previously mentioned, turn up with an open mind. Take everything with a pinch of salt and remember. The field army is not like basic training, think of the CMS(R) as the first of many hoops you have to jump through. Learn everything you can in your time here because everything you are taught is done for a reason!

Have fun,

10. ATR(L) is small but a reasonable old place, soon to be closing incidentally! Turn up, keep low, move fast and you shoudlnt have any major dramas.

Have fun,

11. is there an echo in here??

12. Hi , i'm off to Lichfield at the end of May. I'm joining the Royal Engineers as a Design Draughtsman. Is anyone else starting at the same time?

13. I was in Lichfield this time last year.

I can’t really off much more advice than what people are above. My best advice is to keep your head down but do everything with confidence and you’ll shine for the good reasons – the instructors hate nothing more than a gobby cadet or someone who has watched too many war films. Basic Training is called so because it will teach you everything you need to know… and I mean everything.
    As for the physical side of things; I’d recommend that you run… run… and run some more… then run with weight on your back. It will make your time there a lot easier. There may be times when you’ll be kicked out of your sleeping bag at 3 in the morning to go on stag in the pissing rain and your thinking “Why the hell am I doing this?” but it is certainly worth it! All I know is when my troop graduated basic we all wanted to go back and do it again! And it remains the same today, I’d still do it again in a heart beat!

Oh also mate… if you want a more detailed insight into the weekly plan pm me and I’ll see what I can remember.

Good Luck
    P.s. Minley is also supposed to be brilliant.

14. You mental case.