ATOM, BIO, GAS

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by putteesinmyhands, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been bugging me for a long time, but...

...why do we have to know the colours of the letters and the background of the various hazard signs?

Chances are that the bloke writing the initial label will have white paper and whatever colour marker pen comes to hand.

Besides, the hazard is written in big letters.

Roadsigns convey their meaning by shape and colour - prohibitive, mandatory, hazard, restriction, information, etc but CBRN signs rely on the small print - date, type, measurement and so on - so identifying the colour from a distance doesn't help very much.

Was the idea developed by someone with too much time on their hands and everyone else has just accepted it?

2. msr

msr LE

Tradition?

3. You just need to know the 'big' stuff, everything else is a bonus, therefore, IMOO knowing the colours are important.

4. Have you just done that radioactive awarness thing for MT drivers or something? I found it hard to grasp it all, no matter how simple it actually was.

Depends which hazard signs your on about, the placard diamond ones, there all different colours so you know the threat and what you should do if theres a fire or something, whether you need PPE to fight it, evacuate and all that. You need to know the writing because it tells you what exact threat it is, and also (im no driver) tells you which chemicals can and cant be stored together as they react. If im wrong i wasted a good few weeks of my life..... but i got paid for it so who cares!

5. Sorry posted the same thing twice!

6. No. The hazard signs that you're talking about are the HAZMAT signs that tell you what material you're dealing with in the event of an emergency. I'm on about the ones that would be placed around the perimeter of an area half the size of Wales after a CBRN event and which you'd have to walk up to in order to find out whether the hazard remains current.

I suppose my argument is that the CBRN hazard signs should be created from a readily available material yet be distinctive. I'd suggest white A4 paper folded over green string as an IA to be upgraded to A5 laminated paper or A5 sized white boards. If it's deemed necessary to identify the nature of the hazard from a distance, the notices could be grouped in 2's (C), 3's (B) or 4's (R&N). All writing would be in whatever colour pen or paint was immediately at hand. Lone signs would signify non-military hazards (e.g. "Beware of the bull") or other hazards that don't tend to jump over the fence (e.g. mines).

CBRN signage training could then be taught in 5 minutes and would be a lot easier to remember and install.

7. Is this something the Joint cbrn people get up to on exercise? Cordon and control type things? I know the NARO (i thought the naro building was some kind of water sport bar house till recently) do that sort of stuff.

You know there argument would be "the signs are reminders, you would be briefed on the details before hand, anyone else shouldnt be there in the first place" or something along that.

8. If I remember correctly from my NBCI and CBRNI courses the signs are that colour/shape etc. because they are NATO signs and so if Johnny foreigner puts one up or sees one he won't necessarily need to be able to read or write English to understand what the hazard my be.

9. That's what I was told as well. But given that a lot of Johnny Foreigners can read English anyway, would it be so much of a hardship? Hardship? The three letter designators are the same, whatever language.

What I'm heading for is a change from remembering otherwise meaningless combinations of colours to remembering a meaningful sequence of letters - no worse than our going from NBC to CBRN. More practical and doesn't require stores of differently coloured paint and multicoloured Letraset. It's also easier and cheaper to fold a piece of paper in half than it is to cut triangles out of aluminium. Then there's storage space - how many reams of paper and laminating pouches (or clear Fablon) can you fit in an an Iso or in a helicopter, and how many of the current signs (bearing in mind that if they're pre-prepared, you'd need ATOM, BIO and GAS)?

That's not to mention that you'd need to deliver the pre-prepared signs to the place of need, avoiding ambush, IEDs, snipers, etc.