Atlantic Future Forum - and NATO/Euro Atlantic defence

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
"It should be noted that despite attempting to seek a massive conspiracy, the company that holds Transas is owned by Wartsila, a Finnish company. "

I have a Russian made pair of binoculars, do you think they are watching me?

Yokel

LE
Do your binoculars have the potential to have malicious code inserted, to have data corrupted, or to have historical records of your longitude, latitude, depth, and so on passed to a regime to a regime with an interest on keeping tabs on you and your contacts?

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Do your binoculars have the potential to have malicious code inserted, to have data corrupted, or to have historical records of your longitude, latitude, depth, and so on passed to a regime to a regime with an interest on keeping tabs on you and your contacts?

My rather swish GPS can use GLONASS

endure

GCM
The GPS on my mobile can use both GLONASS and Beidou so it's a toss up whether Vlad or Uncle Xi get to me first...

Yokel

LE

But that just downloads information. Nor, I suspect, do you ever do anything that involves sensitive locations Vlad/Xi/others would like to know about.

The GPS on my mobile can use both GLONASS and Beidou so it's a toss up whether Vlad or Uncle Xi get to me first...

There is a bit of a difference between a submarine, which the Russians would love to know more about, and a private individual. Submarine operations are sensitive and key to NATO strategy.

Last edited:

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
But that just downloads information. Nor, I suspect, do you ever do anything that involves sensitibe locations Vlad/Xi/others would like to know about.

There is a bit of a difference between a submarine, which the Russians would love to know more about, and a private individual. Submarine operations are sensitive and key to NATO strategy.

German submarines?
Do they ever go to sea these days?

Yokel

LE
German submarines?
Do they ever go to sea these days?

I have no idea - @jrwlynch might.

A submerged submarine cannot receive satellite signals, so things like inertial systems are used. Does the software record previous locations, and is it possible for this to be downloaded when the boat has returned to port?

Can chart data be corrupted to cause a grounding?

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
I am also sure that someone claimed that the Russians can only operate aircraft once a month or something...

NATO intercepts Russian planes '10 times a day'

Nato planes were scrambled 10 times in a six-hour period on Monday in response to an "unusual peak" of Russian flights in several areas, the Western military alliance said on Tuesday.

They intercepted planes near alliance airspace in the North Atlantic, North Sea, Baltic and Black Sea, Nato said.

There was no immediate response from Russia, which recently accused Nato of following a path of confrontation.

Nato's secretary general has urged Moscow to resume dialogue.

Jens Stoltenberg's call last week was backed up by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, on a visit to the alliance's headquarters in Brussels, when he proposed a "relationship with Russia that is at least predictable and stable".

According to Nato, while the Russian military aircraft never entered its member states' airspace they did not transmit transponder codes so posed a potential risk to civilian flights. The alliance said the interceptions involved six groups of Russian planes:

• Norwegian F-16s scrambled as two Tu-95 Bears neared the Norwegian coast
  • The Russian planes then flew south over the North Sea prompting action from UK and Belgian air force planes
  • Two Tu-160 Blackjack bombers were later intercepted by the Norwegian air force
  • Allied planes also tracked three Russian planes over the Black Sea
  • A Russian maritime patrol plane was intercepted by Italian planes over the Baltic Sea near Kaliningrad.

Yokel

LE
@PhotEx may not like this.

Netherlands joining in CSG21 deployment

.....from the North Atlantic, through to the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and on to the Indo-Pacific. The strike group will undertake a range of operations and training with allies and partners, including maritime missions with NATO in the Mediterranean and Coalition operations in the Middle East.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Maybe he missed it? The CSG21 things seems to coincide with other things, such as NATO exercises:

Steadfast Defender (mid-May through early-June) – a new series of NATO exercises focused on the transatlantic reinforcement of Europe and demonstrates NATO’s ability to respond rapidly to the full spectrum of threats. Exercises activities will occur.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Here is a 2019 speech from another Admiral who forgot to ask PhotEx

In 2019 that competition at sea and those technologies are the ‘new normal’.

The Russian and Chinese Navies are now firmly established in seas that we long assumed had no challengers or competitors. But the Russian Squadron is back in Syria, probably to stay. Chinese naval power in the Horn of Africa is a given and they are making ever more visits to European waters. Russian submarines are in the Atlantic in levels not seen since the Cold War and their Black Sea fleet is the most potent it has been in professional memory.

In addition, we are seeing new things: the advent of hypersonic missiles, expanding use of electronic warfare techniques including GPS jamming. Surveillance and potential tampering with undersea cables. And of course, the daily conflict for the strategic narrative in social media and the info sphere.

There is also a geographic element: from the Eastern Mediterranean and the Sea of Azov to the Baltic and High North, an effort is underway to dominate strategic seas and create Grey Zones where Allied access is inhibited or intimidated. In this at least, our competitors are refreshingly old-fashioned: t
hey see the world in terms of geographic power and the need to control space.

-----

Today, Russian strategy is to project power and focus efforts almost everywhere except the plains of central Europe. Instead, we see action in the Baltic and Black Seas, the Eastern Mediterranean, the High North and the North Atlantic. Further, their posture is not steady but shifts with opportunity. This is not being surrounded so much as dealing with a chessboard, and a constantly changing one at that.

----

Yokel

LE
Repealing treaty law and fundamental legal principles underwriting the international order by fiat sound pretty unlimited to me, even if it doesn’t fit the classic Clausewitzian definition—a definition drawn from state-on-state combat. Letting a rock or atoll go may seem inconsequential. Letting hostile powers rewrite the rules governing international relations across the globe would constitute a surrender of the utmost moment—even if it happens little by little through “gray zone” confrontations that make little difference taken individually. Lots of minor results can add up to major results over time.

From: Do Russia or China have Limited or Unlimited political goals?

Repealing treaty law and fundamental legal principles underwriting the international order by fiat sound pretty unlimited to me, even if it doesn’t fit the classic Clausewitzian definition—a definition drawn from state-on-state combat. Letting a rock or atoll go may seem inconsequential. Letting hostile powers rewrite the rules governing international relations across the globe would constitute a surrender of the utmost moment—even if it happens little by little through “gray zone” confrontations that make little difference taken individually. Lots of minor results can add up to major results over time.

From: Do Russia or China have Limited or Unlimited political goals?

I read the article and the following leapt out.
“the objective is to overthrow the enemy—to render him politically helpless or militarily impotent, thus forcing him to sign whatever peace we please.” That’s the unlimited variant. Smashing hostile armed forces, dictating expansive terms, ousting a hostile government—these are quintessential unlimited objectives.

Unlimited campaigns yield what Clausewitz terms “total victory.” One combatant casts down another, puts its boot on the neck of the defeated, and does what it pleases with its victory.
Isn't that what's called "regime change" these days? I wonder who has been the main practitioner of this policy over the past few decades?

I have a Russian made pair of binoculars, do you think they are watching me?
I thought they were paying you - only in laboons and ice cream o fcourse.

Yokel

LE
I thought they were paying you - only in laboons and ice cream of course

What - no crayons? Or a colouring in book? Or a scrap book he can fill with pictures of American hardware? Maybe illustrated books with titles like Vlad Feels Sad When They Call Him Bad or Help! There's A Chinaman Under My Bed?

Yokel

LE
Professor Dr Admiral PhotEx Dada is unlikely to agree with this article from the Proceedings of the US Naval Institute: Delivering Global Britain - A Naval Perspective

The arrival of Admiral Tony Radakin as First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff in 2019 saw the release of a new vision for the Royal Navy that focuses on five main parts: (1) greater investment in the North Atlantic for the security of the U.K.’s nuclear deterrent; (2) delivery of the U.K.’s carrier strike capability; (3) delivery of the future commando force; (4) forward presence; and (5) increased use of technology and innovation. The North Atlantic is the main arterial lifeline to the United Kingdom, as well as the hiding place for its nuclear deterrent, and therefore will always be of the highest importance to the Royal Navy.

Carriers

In support of all five globally deployed OPVs and HMS Montrose in the Gulf, the First Sea Lord’s plan is to operate at least one carrier strike group (CSG) out of the United Kingdom. This will surge as required to deliver the higher-level capabilities that may be needed anywhere in the world, but basing in the United Kingdom underlines its commitment to NATO and the Atlantic.

Amphibious capabilities

In addition to the carrier strike group, future commando force will deliver a littoral strike capability. This is likely to be delivered through two littoral response groups (LRGs). The first will be based out of the United Kingdom to support the Northern Flank and European interests.....

Yokel

LE
Turkish Defence Minister hosted onboard HMS Prince of Wales

Turkey is an important NATO Ally and partner for the UK in upholding security in the Mediterranean and Black Sea regions.

I was delighted to welcome Minister Akar to the UK for fruitful discussions on how our nations can build on our strong defence relationship in a range of areas – from NATO exercises and operations to industry co-operation.

Yokel

LE
Does anyone know why there is a US Amphibious Ready Group near the UK at the moment? NATO amphibious exercises and operations - particularly in defence of the flanks? Acting in lieu of a carrier with AV-8B or F-35B? Acting in lieu of a carrier with ASW helicopters?

Yokel

LE
According to the USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker - April 12 2021

In the Celtic Sea

The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group and the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit deployed on Mar. 25 and are now operating in the Celtic Sea, just south of Ireland.

Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) and amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD-17) make up the ARG. Embarked detachments for the Iwo Jima ARG include Amphibious Squadron Four, Fleet Surgical Team (FST) Six, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 26, Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21, Naval Beach Group (NBG) Two, Beach Master Unit (BMU) Two, Assault Craft Unit (ACU) Two and Four, and Sailors from Amphibious Construction Battalion (ACB) Two.

The 24th MEU, which is headquartered at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of a ground combat element, Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 1/8, a logistics combat element, Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 24, and an aviation combat element, Medium Tilt-Rotor Squadron (VMM) 162 Reinforced. The 24th MEU also includes a Light Armored Reconnaissance detachment.

Yokel

LE
This is a reminder that NATO relies on being able to move equipment by sea, even within the European theatre:

Latest Threads