Atholl Brose Recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by saladin, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we head towards 30th Nov and St Andrews Day I thought I would post the following recipe, found while clearing out some old papers. The original typed document refers to a Dinner Night in 1964.

The quantities listed produced 18 bottles "which proved not to be enough for 44"......."one should allow 2/3 of a bottle per head". The Atholl Brose should be made at least 48 hours before the event, with the "Brose" being steeped at least 24 hours before that.

The Recipe:

8 Parts Brose
    6 Parts Cream
    5 Parts Whiskey
    1 Part Benedictine
    1 Part Honey

The Method.

Brose.
    This is made by steeping and stirring coarse oatmeal in water for 24 hours. Fine oatmeal is an acceptable substitute.The recipe states that 6lb of Oatmeal produced too much brose, 4lb would be adaquate. To this is added water at a rate of 4 pints per pound. After steeping the oatmeal in water the mixture is strained through muslin cloth. The mixture should be ladled into the muslin like an old fashioned steamed pudding and wrung out hard by twisting the muslin into a ball. The liquid produced should be a milky colour and have no bits of meal in it.

Cream. The description is of "Ordinary dairy cream" with alternatives stated to be "top of the milk" - sadly now almost unavailable or "... ( last resort only) tinned unsweetened milk" I suppose the modern varient would be normal single cream.

Whisky. The suggestion is "Grouse" - I imagine we can improve on that.....

Honey. Described as ""clear and runny like syrup" - the liklihood is we have many more choices than were available in '64.

There is a note: " Do not monkey about with the portions. The idea of tasting is to make sure the ingredients are mixed enough together and NOT to see if enough Whisky has been put in.

All the ingredients are simply poured into a large bowl and mixed. Stir until the honey has dissolved. Bottle and lay aside in a cool place - avoid the "Fridge" as this tends to curdle the cream.

Shake the bottles prior to decanting as the heavier elements tend to settle.

Good Luck.

Sally.

2. Is this a recipe, or an experiment on quantity, and variation of ingredients?

3. I'd suggest a well run Mess might have some fun testing varients on "Grouse" for a start ?

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

So make your mind up, is it to be Gloag's finest or the dodgy froggie monk's brew?

FWIW the version I know is:

2 Parts Oats,
    4 Parts Malt Whisky,
    2 Parts Cream,
    1 Part water.

Throw away the Oats & Cream and consume!

5. Don't throw them away make porridge. :).

• Like Like x 1
  6. You'd put water in Malt ? I shudder Sir, shudder.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well spotted - I lost a rather vital line there.... Edited !

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well you said that Atholl Brose contains Benedictine, so that hardly makes you a master of taste!

• Like Like x 1
  9. It is acceptable to add water to a malt or have a separate glass of water so I've been led to believe. Then I'd rather neck gallons of strongbow.

10. I suspect that may be to mask the Grouse.... :)

11. Unless its still at "Cask Strength" your Malt already has water added, usually taking it down from about 70% to the UK standard 40% ABV. ( and caramel added to "equalise" the colours across batches.) Lovely stuff, all those oak casks and copper pipes - but in reality every bit as Commercial in production as any supermarket own-brand hootch.

12. Yes I have some cask strength and I'm aware whisky is reduced in strength by adding water.
    Some think adding water is acceptable as many think the opposite. I'd have a glass of water and sip alternately. I rarely drink it though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Saladin how did it work out when you made it?

I drank a few glasses of this in a Scotch mess a fair few years ago. I quite liked it but then again I was fairly on my way. I recall a few oats had slipped in and it was fairly creamy. I tried to recreate it a few months ago albeit with Glenfiddich (nothing else to hand) using the different Wikipedia recipe. I could barely take more than a few sips.

14. Cheating I know but has anyone bought any off the shelf? There seem to be a few bottles on the interwebs Google thing.

15. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Blasphemy, burn the heretic....

A good and knowing Army Chef, who has had the pleasure of serving in a Scottish unit prior to Burn's Night should know how to do this. And it is a fine drink to round off the festivities, however if you are performing a poem try to minimise intake until after you have been up and recited, or else it might all go pear shaped.