Athletes foot in phase 1

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by crunch_y, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I'm starting my phase 1 training in a couple of weeks and after going swimming a few weeks back i've managed to accquire a nice bit of athlete's foot on the soles of my feet. I'm treating it but I'm not sure if it's going to be cleared in time for my start date. Does anybody know how much of a problem it will be during phase 1? I'm dreading being told I cannot start because of it.

I would greatly appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks in advance.

2. Dont think you need to worry about that. Just keep at the treatment and try not to spread it to your whole intake.

3. i will be blunt i think unless its fully gone chances are on your medical they will say the whole "we cannot take you on atm due to H&S reasons" and refer you to a later date.

4. Just dont say anything! Dont recall ever having the soles of my feet examined.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Go to a chiropodist if you are really worried about it - I'm sure they will tell you it's not a problem.

6. You sure it's athlete's foot? Not been tip-toeing barefoot around your local Albanian Crackhouse, have you?

7. Go to the chemist and buy some surgical spirit and cotton wool, after having a wash or whenever you feel like doing it dry your feet and toes first, then put the spirit on the cotton wool and wipe over the foot and in between your toes, do that 1/2 times a day and it should be cleared within a week or two. I was given this advice by a podiatrist who I saw 2 months ago worked wonders.

8. Go to the chemist and buy some surgical spirit and cotton wool, after having a wash or whenever you feel like doing it dry your feet and toes first, then put the spirit on the cotton wool and wipe over the foot and in between your toes, do that 1/2 times a day and it should be cleared within a week or two. I was given this advice by a podiatrist who I saw 2 months ago worked wonders.

9. On the occasions when I get it I usually treat it with teatree oil. Seems to do the trick for me.

10. Savlon works wonders for me when I get it between the toes. Just smear it on the affected area after washing and it clears up in a day or two.

Helps if you up your footcare routine and wash them morning and night.

11. Canesten cream, slap plenty on works for me, all gone in a couple of days

12. Yeah, ditto the above. And to try and stop re-occurence (I know what I'm on about because I had terrible on-off AF from about 12-17), make sure you wash dilligently between the toes and dry them properly.

Wear clean socks every day, and for about 2 weeks after the infection has gone, make sure you dust your feet before you put your shoes on, preferably with medicated talc, but ordinary talc will dol.

13. terbinafine 250mg will sort it too, these are prescription and I think screw up your liver or kidneys

14. did you get the problem from one trip to baths for a swim ?? Infections pass around the pool like wild fire but athletes foot is more down to foot care than an infection or virus. Think you may need to brush up a bit on foot care in training else you are gonna find yourself very susceptible to it in future . One of the biggest probs in the world wars ( so I hear) was trench foot and athletes foot for obvious reasons but with goretex and new boots these days should be a thing of the past unless foot hygiene isnt up to scratch- didnt think I would ever type this long a reply to a foot fungus !!!!

15. somebody suggested chucking the scoks after each wear, but I found washing them on a very hot wash helped, changing twice a day and yeah, mycotta on feet, in socks and in shoes helped, as well as the cannestan cream.