Atheists 'unfit to serve' - US Army

Discussion in 'US' started by Pompey_Jock, Jan 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know a few threads have touched on religion within armed forces in general, but after a quick search I didn't see this covered specifically.. so apologies if it has been posted before.

This came to my attention via a web-feed from a Skeptic discussion group... and while the title ("Atheists unfit to serve"), maybe a tad inflammatory, it does seem to be a valid concern that the US Army deems atheists 'incomplete'.

Seems there is a survey which forms part of a soldiers personnel file....
    Which century are they living in?

Here are a few related links:-

Mandatory U.S. Army Survey Says: Non-Believers Unfit To Serve : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

Army Declares Atheists Spiritually Unfit, Part 2 : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

US Army discrimination towards Atheists: Story Update - Birmingham atheism |

US Army: Atheists Unfit To Serve « Al Stefanelli

Can anyone from the US side of things shed any further light on this...
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
  3. IIRC the USAF is even more riddled with excessive God-bothering types.
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

"Thou Shalt not Kill" What a load of hypocritical bullshit,
  5. The fact is that crazy Yanks of Dr Stangeglove flavours are the top brass with fingers on the buttons poised ready for their long awaited and predicted armageddon. Yes they want to destroy the planet to bring about the second coming of christ. This act of insanity they call the rapture...all documented in the bible of course. Now how is this madness going to work with thinking atheists in the system... ? It will not....

Hang on sir.... pressing that button will kill us all!

The Yanks send their proselytising troops to Iraq and Afghanistan armed with bibles for distribution and they have chapters from the bible inscribed of the optical sights of their weapons... Yes, atheists do not belong in such a crusading organisation.

We can only watch and hope that fundamental opposition is wiped out before they become armed sufficiently to melt down humanity with their own version of apocalypse.
  6. USA in general pretty religious in places...

My frau bought a book on home teaching (hoping it would contain some good tit bits to help assist our spawn)

Here is a delightful insight in to keeping your house free of clutter.

Rockett Marilyn Home Schooling at the speed of life B&H Publishing Group, Nashville, Tennessee 2007

Now I am all for a spot of religion. Really. I was brought up in a school that was CofE controlled and we had prayers and religious assemblies. I don't think it is that bad. But sometimes I feel it is taken a bit too far in USA. Intelligent design? Perhaps a too literal translation.
  7. For Christ's sake! God help us!

Is there any wonder that Muslim fundamentalists have no difficulty in convincing their recruits that the US is on a Crusade against them?

I thought the USA was founded on the principle of religious freedom and the separation of Church and State... (They were, after all, escaping from the Catholic/Protestant wars of Europe) But maybe the phrase "In God We Trust" was a giveaway that such freedom only ran skin deep.

Here we are in the 21st Century, being dictated to by people who hear voices telling them to kill unbelievers, and it's still OK as long as you call it Faith, not paranoid schizophrenia.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Pope Urban must be laughing his tits off, his dream is coming true only 1000years late
  9. Well, I'd definitely be unfit to serve in the US Army then. I'm about as atheist as they come, yet I seem to be far more open minded about many issues than Christians I've had the opportunity to debate with.
  10. Before our favourite cousins - Ghost_US, Goldbricker, and the incredibly urbane and gentlemanly JJH - crank up the outrage Model T, can I be the first to say that this is the biggest crock of crap I've read in a long time.

Yes, the US may wear it's religion on it's sleeve a little more than we do over here, but they are a nation of 300 million. As such, they represent a cross-section of beliefs and non-beliefs that we can't even begin to comprehend. The US military, like our own, has pandered in recent decades to PC notions which will of course involve "enabling" those of a religious bent to practice. It is in no way a fcuking policy for goodness' sake. And as for:

"Yes they want to destroy the planet to bring about the second coming of christ"

Really. Do they? Are you sure about that?

Oh, and a Happy New Year to all, especially to our friends across the pond who have to put up with this kind of knee-jerk anti American $hite on a regular basis.
  11. It depends on what they are going to do with this information.

The survey says it is confidential and will not be used for assessing people for promotion etc, of course that could be a lie. Also we do not know what the “correct” answers are, maybe atheists will score highest. See this for the relevant part of the survey:

What would be interesting would be to collect the answers of people who commit suicide, war crimes, etc and see how they differ from the average. In a few years time that could give a reasonable idea as to what questions are meaningful and what answers are good.
  12. It would indeed be hypocritical bullshit were it not for the fact that the original Sixth Commandment is, Thou Shalt Not Murder.

My theology is a little hazy but I believe the Ten Commandments are part of the Old Testament, and the OT God had a fairly muscular attitude towards spreading the good news; smite them 'til they glow, eternal damnation in the dark.
  13. Well said that man. Seconded.
  14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Thats only the translation in The American Bible Society Bible, the one that had to be printed and have pictures in it because most of the people that read it are to thick to understand the Kings English of the King James version, in the UK thats what we call the childrens bible
  15. The old testamant also prescribes that rabbits are not to be eaten aswell as pigs, and then there is that little matter of not likeing gays...

So how many bible thumping homophobes eat bacon butties?