Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all, apologies if this is the wrong place for this post!

I have recently passed my assessment day with an A and was offered the Ammunition Technician role that I have been eying up! This was a huge relief, however the next step is the ATCAB as I believe it's called.

I have had a good search through the forums on this site but can't seem to find any recent information on what this test might consist of. Is anyone currently within the RLC or - better yet - the AT that could give me some guidance?

Cheers all.

Apologise, but I am very out of date on the current selection process.

I did mine in ‘91. It comprised of various tests in maths, chemistry and physics; giving a 10 minute presentation on any subject; command tasks and a final interview.

Apologise, but I am very out of date on the current selection process.

I did mine in ‘91. It comprised of various tests in maths, chemistry and physics; giving a 10 minute presentation on any subject; command tasks and a final interview.
Thank you for your input nonetheless. I'm sure this must at least vaguely reflect the current expectations in terms of knowledge/confidence. May I ask your favourite aspect of being in the AT?

There’s no single thing that I can say is my favourite and it’s different for everyone. I would say it is the best job in the world though.

You should get loaded onto the Ammunition Technician Careers Advisory Board (ATCAB) through the recruiting process. You would then get attendance dates and a pre-reading pack. Results from ATCAB will be: “Pass", "Pass (at risk)", "Try again" and "It’s not for you try something else".

ATCAB will be one on one interviews, group interviews and chats, knowledge retention and technical reasoning tests and some maths. DO NOT PANIC about it and for god’s don’t say you’re in it for blowing stuff up and the money. Although it worked for Dingerr and me. :)

So get back to your careers advisor for more information.

Had mine earlier this month and passed. It consists of a projectile theory exam, a maths exam, a mechanical reasoning exam, a referencing exam and an event planning exam. Then you have a 5 min presentation on a topic of your choice and a final interview

Had mine earlier this month and passed. It consists of a projectile theory exam, a maths exam, a mechanical reasoning exam, a referencing exam and an event planning exam. Then you have a 5 min presentation on a topic of your choice and a final interview

Sounds like it hasn’t changed much in 30 years.

What kind of things are good presentation topics? I'd be happier if they gave me a question and told to go make a presentation about it.

I've never been through the process you're asking about, so cannot offer any advice on it. What I have done in the past though is to prepare some 5, 10 and 15 minute presentations for interviews so that I would never be caught out if asked to give one on a subject of my own choosing, especially at short notice.

My favourites were;

A Biro
An electrical plug

Items that are readily available, and everyone could identify with and recognise, but perhaps without knowing their history or what went in to their manufacture or development, which is where my presentations came to the fore. Good luck with everything.

What kind of things are good presentation topics? I'd be happier if they gave me a question and told to go make a presentation about it.
Do a topic you’re interested in and have knowledge on. It helps if it’s relatively interesting as well. Could be on a hobby of yours, a sports team, a certain animal that’s cool.... what ever really. As long as you know your stuff and can be confident in delivering it you’ll be fine. I’d recommend making flash cards as well. I did and my presentation went really well. Some people took a4 pages of text and pretty much just read off them and it was bad, some others didn’t take anything and didn’t know what to say or talk about. Just make sure you practice and prepare for it. Good luck

What sort of maths was it ? :)