ATC Pirbright - Thread for those joining in 2018

What would you recommed we bring thats not on the kit list? It says not to bring an Iron but is seen people saying deffo bring one as the ones there are pants?
I'd definitely bring an iron if you can. There aren't many to share around the entire troop if you join on a large intake so it can take time to get your kit ironed.

For exercise try and get travel size wash items like toothpaste, shaving oil rather than cream/gel. Small toothpaste or get a cheap one you don't mind snapping in half. Knee pads with a military pattern are useful for some things if your training team allows you to use them. Hats and a pair of decent gloves too if you don't get issued them. It can get cold on 2 hours of stag without them. You will get gloves issued but some people don't find them that useful.

If you aren't already thinking of it, bring some plastic filing pockets, tape and personal photos for your board in your bed space. You'll get told to put worksheets on one side and personal photos on the other. Tape just to section it off. If you don't have personal photos up you'll get asked things like how to strip a rifle or who your higher ups are during inspections. Also it's something to keep you grounded to the outside world if you're finding the training tough.

Can't think of much else right now

Last edited:
I'd definitely bring an iron if you can. There aren't many to share around the entire troop if you join on a large intake so it can take time to get your kit ironed.

For exercise try and get travel size wash items like toothpaste, shaving oil rather than cream/gel. Small toothpaste or get a cheap one you don't mind snapping in half. Knee pads with a military pattern are useful for some things if your training team allows you to use them. Hats and a pair of decent gloves too if you don't get issued them. It can get cold on 2 hours of stag without them. You will get gloves issued but some people don't find them that useful.

If you aren't already thinking of it, bring some plastic filing pockets, tape and personal photos for your board in your bed space. You'll get told to put worksheets on one side and personal photos on the other. Tape just to section it off. If you don't have personal photos up you'll get asked things like how to strip a rifle or who your higher ups are. Also it's something to keep you grounded to the outside world if you're finding the training tough.

Can't think of much else right now
Hi can you tell me what time do you guys have to do ur 6 miles run in?

I'm not sure the time exactly but I remember 6km/h pace with kit on from a lesson we had. Possibly around that. We don't focus on the actual time, you'll get paced by the PTI and staff in the run and will speed you up even when you're behind. You do it as a troop not individually so it's less about your own time and more keeping the pace. Just try and keep up as best you can and get to the front every chance you get.

I'm not sure the time exactly but I remember 6km/h pace with kit on from a lesson we had. Possibly around that. We don't focus on the actual time, you'll get paced by the PTI and staff in the run and will speed you up even when you're behind. You do it as a troop not individually so it's less about your own time and more keeping the pace. Just try and keep up as best you can and get to the front every chance you get.
I did 5 miles run for the first time and it took me nearly an hour to finish. I am getting a bit anxious to be honest.

An hour is fine. It'll be a quick march with either just webbing or both webbing and bergen. Rather than running the entire thing. You will do some unweighted runs which will be cut up by stops to march or sprint up hills or do pressups or burpies but they're short breaks and you get back to running pretty quickly. Pacing yourself is key and just staying with the troop rather than racing it. Best thing to do is stay at the front next to the PTI and if you fall behind, quickly get to the front again next time they slow down or stop.

If you dont mind can i ask what week you in right now and how many runs 4 or over 4 miles you have done?

Hello I need serious advise, I have finished all the application and selection process and my start date is in May. However today I got offer to study MA at Uni. Will it be possible to ask Army if they will be able to hold me for a year so I can finish my master do you reckon I should ask my CSM or don’t do master? I will be greatful for any advise

You get some downtime in the evening but it'll mostly be filled with admin. Sometimes you'll get a full free Sunday with only work and sick parade which takes 30-60 minutes. The amount of downtime you get ultimately depends on how quickly you do your admin.
Hello I need serious advise, I have finished all the application and selection process and my start date is in May. However today I got offer to study MA at Uni. Will it be possible to ask Army if they will be able to hold me for a year so I can finish my master do you reckon I should ask my CSM or don’t do master? I will be greatful for any advise
You can ask your CSM to hold you off if you want to continue your study. My CSM told me I could tell them I'm not ready fitness wise and to hold me off until another intake, and told me again I could wait for the intake for a specific role that would be later. It would probably be better to get your masters and then do the army but speak to your CSM and consider the options.

You get some downtime in the evening but it'll mostly be filled with admin. Sometimes you'll get a full free Sunday with only work and sick parade which takes 30-60 minutes. The amount of downtime you get ultimately depends on how quickly you do your admin.

You can ask your CSM to hold you off if you want to continue your study. My CSM told me I could tell them I'm not ready fitness wise and to hold me off until another intake, and told me again I could wait for the intake for a specific role that would be later. It would probably be better to get your masters and then do the army but speak to your CSM and consider the options.
Hi how was your long run today bud?

Latest Threads