ATC Pirbright 2021 Sticky - All Pirbright chat in here

i’m in exactly the same position, passed my AC 16th of Feb.Having to wait for my Phase one date anytime past April 1st. I’m also joining E/W and Sigs intelligence in the Royal signals pal.
Did you have the security questionnaire come out? Literally only received mine monday I believe this role & a few in the intelligence corps are the only ones that have to do it

Did you have the security questionnaire come out? Literally only received mine monday I believe this role & a few in the intelligence corps are the only ones that have to do it
Yeah i had to do that national security vetting but mine was on Thursday, and it is only for intelligence corps. Hopefully this background check doesn’t delay getting on Phase one for May 9th otherwise it’ll be another 6 weeks wait after that.

Yeah i had to do that national security vetting but mine was on Thursday, and it is only for intelligence corps. Hopefully this background check doesn’t delay getting on Phase one for May 9th otherwise it’ll be another 6 weeks wait after that.
Good to know we are both at the same stage though, really do hope theres no issues with the vetting

Don't sweat it. I had issues as a youngster with the police and passed my developed vetting interviews with no problems, so you will likely be absolutely fine :).

Good luck
Ah mate thank you for that, I have been stressing as I had a youth caution and spent a night in a cell a few years ago for a drunken punch up. I dont have a criminal record and there was no court summons or anything just a slap on the wrist that was wiped at 18 but was worried about it ruining my app.

Fingers crossed

Ah mate thank you for that, I have been stressing as I had a youth caution and spent a night in a cell a few years ago for a drunken punch up. I dont have a criminal record and there was no court summons or anything just a slap on the wrist that was wiped at 18 but was worried about it ruining my app.

Fingers crossed
You're welcome. Always be open and honest about past issues and it'll never be a problem for them. It's a big issue when people try to hide it.

Sflynn1970

Clanker
No adventure training and no trip abroad to visit war graves/monuments. All in Pirbright basically. You’d think it would be a shortened course because of this but maybe they’d just teach recruits more stuff or slow down the learning to make it less intense. Not sure but that’s what I speculate.
My son did the first pilot of this new CMS that started back in October. No less intense for I’m afraid. But the main difference are the exercises. Rather than them building up from 1-2 then eventually 5 nights. You do 3 battle camps of 5 nights the first is week 5. So no icebreaker anymore.

Sflynn1970

Clanker
I've asked someone currently there and supposedly the new syllabus features three 5 day exercises (Battle Camp 1-3 replacing halfway, final fling, etc.) The first one is in week 5. The final one supposedly features an element of CBRN (getting CS gassed and having to bug out and tab in full gear like what OCdts at RMAS do ?)

Sounds challenging and more intense than the previous ones, but it'll be great training.
My son didn’t do the gas as they didn’t have any at the time. So not sure if that has been affected by Covid.

So, my hubby has passed his AC, but got med referral for hearing & vision, had them both redone and phoned last week to check as it still hadn’t moved from referral and was told the dr hadn’t been there for a few days. He’s hoping to join sigs. Would I be right in telling him to contact his CSM as his job has ended now and he’s just sat waiting on a date for his TST!

RandyLahey

Clanker
Yeah keep badgering his CSM because otherwise this stuff moves very slowly or not at all. The only reason my re-enlister application has moved quicker than before (still slowly mind) is because I was calling up whoever I could every day or other day. They tend not to mind either because it reminds them they have to deal with you and probably forget due to a big work load.

Yeah keep badgering his CSM because otherwise this stuff moves very slowly or not at all. The only reason my re-enlister application has moved quicker than before (still slowly mind) is because I was calling up whoever I could every day or other day. They tend not to mind either because it reminds them they have to deal with you and probably forget due to a big work load.
We badgered his CSM, ended up ringing the army recruiting line to see what the crack is, they said 4/6 wait (coming up to week 4 tomorrow- hubby ringing the AFCO (they’ve asked him to) on Friday as he wants to be in for next intake but currently no idea when that is :( and still no date for tst. Heel dragging much

Last edited:
My son did the first pilot of this new CMS that started back in October. No less intense for I’m afraid. But the main difference are the exercises. Rather than them building up from 1-2 then eventually 5 nights. You do 3 battle camps of 5 nights the first is week 5. So no icebreaker anymore.
Hi, thank you so much for this insight. Are there any other major differences with how it used to be ? How did he find it ? What did he wish he knew before and what does he recommend for PT ?

Sflynn1970

Clanker
Hi, thank you so much for this insight. Are there any other major differences with how it used to be ? How did he find it ? What did he wish he knew before and what does he recommend for PT ?
The main difference I think was the exercises. There is no longer an ice breaker in the first week. It’s 3 exercises for 5 days and one I. Week 5. One was week 10 and then the last in week 13. My son was in the first pilot run of this new cms. They did their drill test in week 3! But that is back around week 6 I believe. That’s when you get more privelages around camp. No doubt about it it was hard for him in those early weeks. Definitely make sure you are at a good fitness when you go in. He was a bit complacent before he went and regretted it. But super fit now

A new sticky thread for those hoping to undertake recruit training at ATC Pirbright during 2021.

The rules:

1. Think before you post - No personal details, no times of trains etc. Absolutely no FB links. Read the sticky threads on recruit forum rules and personal security before you start posting.

2. No such thing as a stupid question, but please make sure you use the search engine before you ask. The 2020 sticky is worth searching for answers.

3. Keep it civil. For the "old and bold", if you can't help with accurate and current information, then head over to the NAAFI to play. ROPs await those who can't follow this very simple rule.
[/QUOTE

Does anyone know any postcodes of where I could park to get on to the training area for a run??

Sflynn1970

Clanker
That sounds absolutely gash. Tabbing out after getting CS gassed? Gopping.

Suddenly I’m not so optimistic but I’m sure the training team will motivate me.
My son finished basic back in feb on the new cms. They didn’t do the gassing. As they didn’t have any apparently. But my son did say he had to run in the gear.

When will the new cms be released? for career discussions etc for when you’re asked about what basic training is/included?
New CMS currently running. Some intakes are still on the old one, but apparently all new ones will be it. The core lessons you'll have (skill at arms, PT, field craft, drill, battlefield first aid, CBRN, navigation, law of armed conflict) will be the same, just delivered differently, and being able to name a handful was what I was told to do for the interview.