ATC Pirbright 2021 Sticky - All Pirbright chat in here

RandyLahey

Clanker
Hi, I'm guessing when being dropped off, nobody is permitted onto camp with you due to covid?
Yeah you can have a brief moment to say your goodbyes and stuff but then you’ll go in by yourself. Won’t be any “mum look at my bedroom” or tours of that sort. I think family day is cancelled too and pass out parades, both of which will be streamed via social media. Is what it says on my joining instructions.

RandyLahey

Clanker
You’ll not be going home until you get leave but honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they kept you there for entirety of phase 1 now that it’s shortened with no adventure training or going abroad to visit war cemeteries.

I’m not sure though but as someone who was in training during covid that’s pretty much the way they did it for us. Lads got leave in phase 1 but thats because unlike Pirbright and Winchester, in Catterick you do the whole course there.

Sflynn1970

Clanker
You’ll not be going home until you get leave but honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they kept you there for entirety of phase 1 now that it’s shortened with no adventure training or going abroad to visit war cemeteries.

I’m not sure though but as someone who was in training during covid that’s pretty much the way they did it for us. Lads got leave in phase 1 but thats because unlike Pirbright and Winchester, in Catterick you do the whole course there.
Basic training is 14 weeks for all now I believe as everyone is now on a new CMS. But still no weekends home I think from Pirbright. However, during any of these uncoming intakes, things may start to relax though with the easing of restrictions in the coming months.

RandyLahey

Clanker
No adventure training and no trip abroad to visit war graves/monuments. All in Pirbright basically. You’d think it would be a shortened course because of this but maybe they’d just teach recruits more stuff or slow down the learning to make it less intense. Not sure but that’s what I speculate.

I've asked someone currently there and supposedly the new syllabus features three 5 day exercises (Battle Camp 1-3 replacing halfway, final fling, etc.) The first one is in week 5. The final one supposedly features an element of CBRN (getting CS gassed and having to bug out and tab in full gear like what OCdts at RMAS do ?)

Sounds challenging and more intense than the previous ones, but it'll be great training.

RandyLahey

Clanker
I've asked someone currently there and supposedly the new syllabus features three 5 day exercises (Battle Camp 1-3 replacing halfway, final fling, etc.) The first one is in week 5. The final one supposedly features an element of CBRN (getting CS gassed and having to bug out and tab in full gear like what OCdts at RMAS do ?)

Sounds challenging and more intense than the previous ones, but it'll be great training.
That sounds absolutely gash. Tabbing out after getting CS gassed? Gopping.

Suddenly I’m not so optimistic but I’m sure the training team will motivate me.

That sounds absolutely gash. Tabbing out after getting CS gassed? Gopping.

Suddenly I’m not so optimistic but I’m sure the training team will motivate me.
It might not involve that -- I just guessed as that's what officer cadets and some infantry recruits have to do. Best to expect the worst though. It'll be sh1te but this training will potentially save our lives since chemical warfare agents have been used recently in places like Syria.

Basic training is 14 weeks for all now I believe as everyone is now on a new CMS. But still no weekends home I think from Pirbright. However, during any of these uncoming intakes, things may start to relax though with the easing of restrictions in the coming months.
Mate of mine came home for a week half way through he started 3rd of Jan doing his basic

How are people getting start dates after 1st April? My recruiter has told me they can't look on their system past 1st April for start dates as it enters a new quarter of the year - is this right?

Looking to join E/W and Signals Intelligence in the Royal Sigs
i’m in exactly the same position, passed my AC 16th of Feb.Having to wait for my Phase one date anytime past April 1st. I’m also joining E/W and Sigs intelligence in the Royal signals pal.

Latest Threads