• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

At the Going down of the Sun...and in the Morning

What a fitting tribute, Rest in Peace lads. I will say a prayer for you. safe Home

Worst time of year this.

I'm sorry, but I would rather go away and forget about it all for a week to be honest.

I can't afford it right now though, so I will have to take my family into Liverpool for the services.

I'm looking forward to it, but dreading it at the same time. if that makes any sense.

To those that made the ultimate sacrifice, we salute and WILL remember you!

A very moving tribute.

Rest in peace lads.

There are alot of good brit videos on youtube at the moment.

Hats off to those who make them.

Thank you T6, that's a great tribute.

Why I am reminded of Yeats, I don't know but:

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My county is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

tomahawk6 said:
That is beautiful - very moving and done with immense dignity.

Thanks also to PB for reminding me of Yeats' poem. I read it at a Remembrance Service last year - it is probably more relevant now than it has been since it was written.

Xenophon said:
tomahawk6 said:
That is beautiful - very moving and done with immense dignity.

Thanks also to PB for reminding me of Yeats' poem. I read it at a Remembrance Service last year - it is probably more relevant now than it has been since it was written.
Even though alot of those photos have been used repeatedly, it was a good tribute. I thought the pic of the soldier reading Band of Brothers was particularly powerful, I don't know why.

Come Saturday, those with any sense of respect in my neck of the woods will remember those Canadians who served and still serve..

Boer War: 7,400 served, 224 died, 252 wounded
WWI: 626,000 served, 61,663 died, 174,623 wounded [ 3 vets left ]
WWII 1.1 million served, 42,042 died, 54,414 wounded
Korea: 26,000 served, 516 died, 1,567 wounded
Peacekeeping: [ since 1950 ] 125,000 served, 122 died
Afghanistan: 8,000 served, 42 died, 250+ wounded

for me, I've my own personal remembrance, as my son is serving as an UNMO in the Sudan - south Darfur

I always think at this time of year of the young lance-jack whose repatriation ceremony I organised in Split in '96. Two or three days later we had our Rememberance day service and that just made it really stick in my mind. I often think of his daughter who would be about 11 now, although of course I never knew her, and his young widow...RIP, I hope we did you proud!