At OTC now, should I just join the reserves?

juggo

Crow
Hi all,

I'm at uni so I've joined the UOTC where I've been for the last 16 months. I do intend to join the reserves after university but I'm thinking of doing it a bit earlier, whilst I'm still at uni.

Obviously the OTC is based around term time and is a lot less serious, but the problem for me is it takes a good 2 hours to get to the unit and another 2 hours back, so even if I make it to some training evenings and weekends, I don't have the time to go for a drink at the bar and make use of the social aspect, or to even get some AT in (mainly skiing, there's more than enough applicants so the staff can pick and choose). If I join a local unit, it is as short as a 40 minute trip each way!

So my question is, is it doable or even advisable in my case to just do AOSB and Sandhurst whilst at uni?

Cheers!

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Stick with the OTC. Focus on your degree. The army will always be there. You can do AOSB and Sandhurst through the OTC. If they think you are up to it they will support your application.

Stick with your degree and carry on with OTC.

I actually recommend the opposite. The OTC is mostly geared around training regular army officers (obviously), so all the training is infantry based leadership, as per Sandhurst, and even if you did get an OTC commission out of it (very few that start OTC make it all the way), you'd still have to convert that into a proper commission on transferring to the Reserves. As well as focusing on your degree, think about your future civilian career, if your looking to go into something trade related, such as engineering, and there happens to be a relevant Reservist unit near you for that trade, surely that would look better on your CV than what OTC can offer, especially if you're not joining the Regular Army? Plus, the money is WAY better as a Reservist, and unlike OTC, if you miss a weekend you don't end up back-squadded for a whole year.

Ditto Captain Scarlet. The UOTC system has not kept pace with the expansion of universities. There are many universities that are not served by a UOTC within a sensible travel time or public transport route.

If you want some reserve activity whilst at university, then in your circumstances, join the local reserve unit of your choice. Manage your commitment, as others have said, your studies come first. Gaining a good degree will carry more weight during the early stage of your regular selection and training than a poor degree and a shed load of Reserve pay in your wallet. This is, of course, true with any ARes unit.

What’s the reserve unit?

See if you can become what used to be know as a TA Support Officer, which allows you to wear the cap badge of the unit and attend both unit and OTC events.

It doubles your opportunity and will allow you to pick and choose what you go on. Don’t do it all or you’ll get a Desmond. The otc is great socially, for future networking and full of girls/boys for shagging. Could you stay over at a mate’s after a drill night? Is your uni a distance away from the unit or are you living away from uni?

What’s the reserve unit?

See if you can become what used to be know as a TA Support Officer, which allows you to wear the cap badge of the unit and attend both unit and OTC events.

It doubles your opportunity and will allow you to pick and choose what you go on. Don’t do it all or you’ll get a Desmond. The otc is great socially, for future networking and full of girls/boys for shagging. Could you stay over at a mate’s after a drill night? Is your uni a distance away from the unit or are you living away from uni?
From what I can tell the old TASO, 'S' was sponsored, (ARSO now?) has been canned so if you want Officer, OTC/RMAS Group is the only way as we found out and 'lost' numbers to them.

From what I can tell the old TASO, 'S' was sponsored, (ARSO now?) has been canned so if you want Officer, OTC/RMAS Group is the only way as we found out and 'lost' numbers to them.
Could one join the local unit and agree with them to do OTC during term and AR at weekends or something along those lines?

That's how it used to work, now, OTCs seem very keen to poach, when reserve units have gone through all the pain of DRS, to get their numbers.
What a shortsighted view. Let them wear the cap badge at OTC for a few years to get some shagging done, then join properly afterwards, hopefully bringing along some mates.

Latest Threads