At least the Septics know how to treat their soldiers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, May 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

http://www.instapundit.com/

Last night while hanging out in the bar with Rand Simberg and Dale Amon (of Samizdata), I saw some British soldiers at the other end. I had the waitress send them a round of drinks. She wasn't supposed to tell them who did it, but apparently those guys are good at extracting information and their CO came over to say thanks. He said that it meant a lot to his men: they don't get a lot of support from the public in Britain and that they like it when they're in the U.S. for training, etc., because the American public is more supportive. I thought that was kind of sad, actually, but I was glad to do something for them. When I'm out and see military folks I often try to pick up their tab anonymously; this is the first time someone's blabbed. I encourage InstaPundit readers to do the same if the mood strikes you. I think it's appreciated, and not just because of the free food or drink.

msr

2. Cow

Cow LE

When I was in Tampa we were forever getting people coming up and saying thank you, for standing next to the US and our contribution to 'TW@T'. It was humbling as we knew that if we were in uniform in the UK we would be looked down on.

3. If any yanks want to buy me a drink I won't say no.

As I asked on the forces angel thread - has anyone ever had this kind of response from a Brit or can we only hope for support from the Yanks?

4. Unfortunately we still have the threat of dissident irish terrorism over here so not many people like to broadcast that we are in the army but thanks for the support!

BTW: mines a jack and coke with no ice :wink:

5. There is a pub in Scunthorpe (home town) called the Desert Rat that gave free drinks out to any squaddies who came through the door after the first Gulf war. I think we drank them dry after a few weeks leave.
    I found out when I was a Recruiting Sgt the other year when I went round towns and schools in uniform that people are very nice and chatty when they see you in uniform especially the older members of the public. Its just how you respnd to them and if a load of youngsters havent just come home and trashed the town on leave.

6. I'm from Dublin, and last year I was in the UK with work for a few weeks (September). The morning the Aussie guy that liked to play with crocs finally got mashed by one, there were a few soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghan (I can't remember which it was). What did the papers report on page 1 - Steve Irwin killed. what did the chat shows / news programmes on radio talk about - Steve Irwin. Not a mention of the fact that a few soldiers were killed fighting for.....each other, I suppose you could say, or what ever the reason is.

I was shocked at how readily it was accepted that soldiers are getting killed, and it just seems to be glossed over. I regularly watch Sky /BBC news, but the war seems to be a lesser issue. Am I wrong in thinking this?

7. That wasn't a UK phenomenon. Spamland was the same way when Irwin croaked.

8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"The morning the Aussie guy that liked to play with crocs finally got mashed by one, "

Steve Irwin wasn't mashed by a 'Croc,' he was killed by a Sting Ray barb, while SCUBA diving.

About 90% of the Western world, watched his programs/films. Most of these people liked and/or loved him and his wife and children too

He was very good at what he did.

9. Me and my lad bumped into a rather attractive young lady from the AAC in a service station on Friday.

As per when we see one of our Force's lads or lasses we say hello, have a chat, and tell them of our undying support.

There's a brief surprise on their part but it's always followed by a genuinely friendly and good humoured response.

Couldn't think of being any other way, but think a lot of the poor public attitude is camophobia (the irrational fear of anything military) based on how small the forces are nowadays and how a lot of folk have never known anyone who's served, it's more unknown to them than a disabled gay muslem...

10. What grips my brown stuff is that if a British soldier and a US soldier get killed on the same day, the BBC will make a big fuss over the US soldier rather then the British soldier. They also prefer to report on the effects that the wars are having on US soldiers and their families or how the familiers of US soldiers killed are coping. I could have sworn that the BBC was British. Thats near traitorism

11. Did you get her telephone number then?

It grips my sh*te when you see the younger lads going into service stations partially dressed (ie Cbt trousers, t-shirt, beret wrong way round)acting ARRSES. I was probably the same as a young CFN many moons ago, but it totally puts us in bad light with the public. Lads and lasses have got to realise that if wearing uniform outside the wire they are ambassadors and not embarressments. After being in the public eye as a recruiter for 30 months we need to be seen by the public dressed smartly and well mannered and then they do respect us.

12. No the missus wouldn't have liked that, but the lad's training is coming on fine. ;-)

13. We had people coming up to us in the Naval PEX (or whatever its called) at Norfolk Naval station when we were on a Battlefield Tour and in uniform thanking us for our support and stuff like that. All you get here is ******* hassle :/

14. "The morning the Aussie guy that liked to play with crocs finally got mashed by one, "

Steve Irwin wasn't mashed by a 'Croc,' he was killed by a Sting Ray barb, while SCUBA diving.

About 90% of the Western world, watched his programs/films. Most of these people liked and/or loved him and his wife and children too

He was very good at what he did.[/quote]

TW, I do apologise to you AND to Steve Irwin for my unbelievebly stupid error, which is completely inexcusable and unforgivable. I will rebuke myself very severely, and I promise not to do it again.

Is my apology accepted?

If it is (even if it's not) accepted, and on the other hand, you seem to have missed my point by a galactic light year!!!. The point is that, although Steve Irwin WAS very good at what he did (this is without doubt), even more so do I think all the soldiers who go to Iraq / Afghan, whether they be US or UK, are very good at what they do. Steve Irwin was attacked by a creature that probably reacts in the only way it can if threatened. He was NOT trying to defend / protect his colleagues. And he died. Soldiers are fighting for each other, and dying while doing that. I think they should get more respect from the media, politicans, the public and society in general.

15. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

mickymitch:

Apology, accepted! Actually, there was no need for one. I just wanted to correct the 'Croc,' remark.

My reply had nothing to do with the real message that you were making. In fact I agree with you on that. It would seem; however, that people in the USA seem to support their military better then some other countries. At least, that's what I get from reading the threads here on ARRSE.