Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At lat I have found

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
the right forum to post in .

A friend of mine was researching his ancestor who was a veteran of the 44th foot. This chaps medals were sold in auction a few years back , among them were the Waterloo medal and allegedly a medal for being in " a forlorn hope " where he was also promoted to Sargent .

Looked via mr Google but countnt find such a medal. IS THERE one ??

Any help? Not sure it's what you want.
From a scumbag lilly livered never served civvy.

Yes, there is such. Different regiments had differing means of recognising those who'd survived a forlorn hope. Usually it was promotion, though gratuities, badges and medals are known - the latter being struck at the expense of the unit's officers.

It's not a chap called Little is it? The 44th had a medal for the storming of Badajoz. The regiment's light company suffered badly and a C Little received a regimental award for this action and went on to survive Waterloo.

Last edited:
I remembered a reference to 'Valiant Stormers' from Wellington's Peninsular Campaign which brought forth this...

IMG_20200719_173156.png
IMG_20200719_173222.png

Cottrell Little (if he's the bloke) also served in India and survived for long enough to claim both the Army of India Medal (Ava clasp) and the Military General Service with three clasps for his service in the Peninsula.

A very bloody lucky chap. How I'd love to have a beer or several with him.

DNW

Last edited:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, there is such. Different regiments had differing means of recognising those who'd survived a forlorn hope. Usually it was promotion, though gratuities, badges and medals are known - the latter being struck at the expense of the unit's officers.

It's not a chap called Little is it? The 44th had a medal for the storming of Badajoz. The regiment's light company suffered badly and a C Little received a regimental award for this action and went on to survive Waterloo.

Yes youre spot on , and the collection was formed by a chap called Gould who might be the big time masonic chap . Doing further research now .....

Last edited:
13 Clasps to MGSM... That'll make a few on here look like slackers.

Latest Threads