At last - a glimmer of progress on illegal "beds in sheds" housing

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2014/july14/030714/030714_2

London council demolishes illegal building
Hillingdon Council in west London has taken landmark action by demolishing an illegal outbuilding after the owner failed to heed repeated warnings over planning breaches.

The council's Beds in Sheds team fenced off the area and gained entry to the building in Pole Hill Road, Hayes, last week after an ongoing planning row with the owner, Syed Hussain.

The illegal building had begun life as a one-storey garage and was then turned into two-storey property making it a visually dominant building out of keeping with the area.

This is the first time the council has had to take direct action against a so-called “bed in shed” and complete the demolition works itself. It will seek to recoup all costs incurred from the owner.

A planning inspector has already dismissed an earlier appeal by Mr Hussain against a council enforcement notice to demolish the building, and two applications to judicially review the appeal decision at the High Court were refused. Mr Hussain was left to pay the legal costs.

Councillor Keith Burrows, cabinet member for Planning said: "This building was an absolute eyesore and we have received a number of complaints about it from residents so I am pleased to see this matter finally being resolved.

"We tried to reason with Mr Hussain and gave him plenty of opportunity to demolish the building himself but have taken the decision to intervene and do the work ourselves, at the cost of Mr Hussain."

Lets hope this council continues and other councils take note and do likewise.

Am I the only one surprised that the situation has become so bad that a local authority needs a 'Beds in Sheds' team?

I would imagine that enforcement of planning and housing issues such as these could also provide opportunities for joint operations with HMRC, the Borders Agency and DWP.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Apart from everything else, this is a cruel misuse of sheds.

One of my neighbours moved his drunken, workshy, knob of a son into his shed (well summerhouse) to stop him stinking the house out, would that count or would it be abuse and involve the SS as well as the shed team?

One of my neighbours moved his drunken, workshy, knob of a son into his shed (well summerhouse) to stop him stinking the house out, would that count or would it be abuse and involve the SS as well as the shed team?
Is he charging drunken son rent?

Is he charging drunken son rent?
No, that was another reason why he wanted him out of the house, sponging off the state as well as his parents.
I think he has got a microwave and a porta-potti and 6 weeks to sort his life out.

No, that was another reason why he wanted him out of the house, sponging off the state as well as his parents.
I think he has got a microwave and a porta-potti and 6 weeks to sort his life out.
Then I don't think it's a "bed in shed" situation, so nope, it wouldn't count.

6 weeks? The Dad's a softie.....

A sop to mummy who is anguished at the thought of her little soldier getting kicked out (only child 22 yrs old).

Hillingdon, Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing and Brent are all like this.

Part of the problem of property and rents being too expensive in the capital and an underclass ready for exploitation.

One bed shed in one boro is but a drop of an ocean of tens of thousands across this part of London.

This one only get 'shelved' probably because it spoiled a local councillors view. Don't expect any more any time soon.

When I lived local (same borough as this enforcement in fact) the houses (they were semi's with a shared drive between them) over the back had long back gardens. I saw over the course of about a year a two storey detached outbuilding being built in one of the back gardens. Firstly I though it was quite a smart building with modern frames proper brick built all the services were going down (bar gas) so I thought a professional job. Then I wondered why anyone would want a second storey in their gym/exercise room?

Then the sloped roof went on and I saw a 3 piece bathroom suite dissapear inside.. Strange I thought

Took to the councils website to firstly check the planning regulation regarding these things then to check if there was a permission for it. Turned out there wasn't. Not only that but I should have been notified as to whether I wished to make representation on the new build.

Complained to the council who seemed perfectly comfortable and nonchalant even though went to far as to suggest it was a widespread problem where people were building small granny houses/bungalows/annexes in their gardens almost exclusively without the relevant permissions. Told me to take it up with my councillor.

I moved shortly thereafter so lost interest in it. This was 7 years ago and I recently spoke to a neighbour who told me not only was it still there but there was a family living in it. Post he thinks is delivered to the house at the front and relayed back.

Had quite a discussion with him about the issue which seems to have got much worse since I moved from the area. He reckons the council inaction is due to these things having a statute of limitations (no enforcement action can be taken after 5 years and retrospective PP is a a formality) and once they get round to doing the rate revaluation then the councils are going to be in for a very tidy windfall indeed.

Hillingdon, Hounslow, Harrow, Ealing and Brent are all like this.

Part of the problem of property and rents being too expensive in the capital and an underclass ready for exploitation.

One bed shed in one boro is but a drop of an ocean of tens of thousands across this part of London.

This one only get 'shelved' probably because it spoiled a local councillors view. Don't expect any more any time soon.

When I lived local (same borough as this enforcement in fact) the houses (they were semi's with a shared drive between them) over the back had long back gardens. I saw over the course of about a year a two storey detached outbuilding being built in one of the back gardens. Firstly I though it was quite a smart building with modern frames proper brick built all the services were going down (bar gas) so I thought a professional job. Then I wondered why anyone would want a second storey in their gym/exercise room?

Then the sloped roof went on and I saw a 3 piece bathroom suite dissapear inside.. Strange I thought

Took to the councils website to firstly check the planning regulation regarding these things then to check if there was a permission for it. Turned out there wasn't. Not only that but I should have been notified as to whether I wished to make representation on the new build.

Complained to the council who seemed perfectly comfortable and nonchalant even though went to far as to suggest it was a widespread problem where people were building small granny houses/bungalows/annexes in their gardens almost exclusively without the relevant permissions. Told me to take it up with my councillor.

I moved shortly thereafter so lost interest in it. This was 7 years ago and I recently spoke to a neighbour who told me not only was it still there but there was a family living in it. Post he thinks is delivered to the house at the front and relayed back.

Had quite a discussion with him about the issue which seems to have got much worse since I moved from the area. He reckons the council inaction is due to these things having a statute of limitations (no enforcement action can be taken after 5 years and retrospective PP is a a formality) and once they get round to doing the rate revaluation then the councils are going to be in for a very tidy windfall indeed.
Thanks for your views and comments Geezer. I would think the best way to get the Councils to do something is to get the press involved.

Pretty sure it's 10yrs for retro planning permission if no complaints have been raised. I had an issue with my garage at an old property I had and thatscwhat the council told me at the time. Fact was my garage had been up for 40 odd years and prior to the LA coming into existence so not a lot they could do about it.

What happens to the people removed from these illegally built properties? Housed by the council or B+B for the foreseeable future I suppose?

philc

LE
Looks like London councils are doing their best to make London even more of a third world shite hole, slums, next it will be emptying sewage in the streets.

S

simmer

Looks like London councils are doing their best to make London even more of a third world shite hole, slums, next it will be emptying sewage in the streets.
There was a big outcry in the Evening Stanart about a year ago on said subject by the street cleaners at Westminster Council. The complaints are about the amount of shit they have to shovel pre 0700 hrs when most of the street cleaning is done. Its a major problem in the parks also.

The beds in shed thing has been a huge problem in London for donkies. A lot of the migrants are renting floor space in garages and sheds. Councils are also turning a blind eye to the conversion of commercial properties into multiple occupation residencies - like factory units for example. London is increasing looking like the back streets of Calcutta (in more ways than one)

S

simmer

You have to wonder why councils don't move on this problem. A lot of these conversions are to poorly house servants and employees and is pure exploitation.
You have to bear in mind the politically correct nature of Councils + most of the London Councils are dominated by people who are from different cultures and have different values to people like you and I. Its either tolerated, accepted or embraced (subject to which London Borough you are in). Mostly. That 'dwelling' must have been a monstrosity for them to do something about it

philc

LE
Me thinks it's time to revisit the "Great Fire of London" once a few acres of slums are burnt down all the better.

Local councils seem to be infested with ethic self interest groups.

Latest Threads