At 34 turning 35 am I to old for the Parachute Regiment?

Hi guys new poster here. I have just had my briefing this week and scheduled for Assessment day in 6 weeks. My 3 are Parachute Regiment, Gunne-Special Observer, Driver.
I'm fit and have the times for the run for Parachute, but turning 35 am I too old for P-Company and the 28 weeks? Will my legs be able to pass at my age?
Thanks for replies and advice.

If you're fit enough and mentally able to take the rigours of training and life as a para then no, but consider just how long you would be able to keep it going and how you'd fit in with the youngsters you'll be competing with.

You may enjoy more longevity of service in another role.

Not too old for the Foreign Legion Paras!

The Legion recruits up to the age of forty and although I joined at eighteen, I had the utmost admiration for the grizzled old farts in their late thirties who made it through. Now I'm a very grizzled old fart much older than that.

I recently read a book written by a Scottish ex-copper who joined the Foreign Legion Paras aged 38. He even did the promotion courses and their commando course. Only his aged prevented him from making sergeant, so he retired after 11 years as a caporal-chef.

Jammy66

War Hero
They let girls in the Para's now. If you don't go for it you're basically admitting that you're not as good as a girl.

So, what's it gonna be?

Hi guys new poster here. I have just had my briefing this week and scheduled for Assessment day in 6 weeks. My 3 are Parachute Regiment, Gunne-Special Observer, Driver.
I'm fit and have the times for the run for Parachute, but turning 35 am I too old for P-Company and the 28 weeks? Will my legs be able to pass at my age?
Thanks for replies and advice.

Just go for it fella. Worst that can happen is you get binned. End of the day, you can say you gave it your best!
I don't know anything about ages or fitness parameters anymore, but It sounds like you could put a few to shame.
Go for it I say.
Dig in, good luck!

Take the course and when you get binned choose another Infantry Reg't and tell everybody you passed P Company then got a fail grade after you chinned all the other Joe's for calling you an old knacker. Or, you could do the smart thing and choose a Trade Corp to begin with that will help you after Army Life when you ARE an old knacker.

All tongue in cheek, good luck mate.

Could you expand please mate?
Its Sunday afternoon I cant be arsed to be fair.
I just think you're too old to be starting infantry training at 35 and serving in an airborne unit will probably cripple you in a few years.
You should have joined in your late teens.
Someone else can expand

Jammy66

War Hero
Whilst I stand by my previous response, you could also just wait to see how the assessment day goes, seek opinions/advice from the guys there and I guess think about what you want out of your career.

If it's still joining the Para's and you are fit enough to start the training then yes, go for it, don't have regrets. If it doesn't work out the other options are still there for you.

Latest Threads