At 1100 today, I ...........

was in the depths of a very large wood of some 300 acres. My shorthair pointer was with me. Absolutely no suggestion of anyone else there with us. We were in a small circular clearing but the trees met above. Weak sunlight filtering through. The wind soughing through the trees a bit like a Stephen King setting. Leaves falling slowly; just like those scarlet ones that will fall at the Festival tonight. As the hand moved to the exact hour, a deer came into the far side of the clearing. It saw us but did not move but just gazed at us. My dog picked up on it but did nothing. Unusual as she is normally very keen for a command if she sees things like that. The sun suddenly increased in strength so that the rays were like those one sees in a cathedral. I bowed my head and then looked back up to see what the deer was doing. It remained stock still. I then saw, quite clearly, the faces of some six guys; comrades who died before their time. One of my old Labradors also came and checked things out. There must have been something in the air as my eyes and nose were streaming and I had a pain at the back of my throat. The deer threw it's head up and trotted off. Everything came back to normal. I have known deep depression but this was none of that. Time, memories and circumstances lifted a veil. I'm as totally relaxed as after a good gymn session and steam room.
I'm glad I avoided people and chose to be somewhere quiet.

So, what did you guys get up to at 1100 today, 11 November.
I sat at the computer listening to the 'official silence' on R4, looking at a Google Earth picture of Camp Abu Naji and thinking about the five guys we lost there last year and praying for their families who will find today and tomorrow a terrible burden.
My experience was prosaic, mundane even, by comparison with your most moving one.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of our city's Primark, the store PA gave a 5 minutes heads up, then came the silence. I have to say it was more marked by the stark contrast with the before and after.

The lights dimmed and, in a large store full of previously jostling people, the whole ambience changed: everyone stock still, no sign of impatience at all on the floor I was, a peaceful calm you would not otherwise have thought possible in that context. Then the lights rose, and normal proceedings resumed almost seamlessly.
...gathered our junior football teams in a circle in the middle of the rec and talked about the lads who had played football on the same field and then gone to war; never to return or to return changed for ever. Two minutes of absolute silence from 8 - 11 years olds is quite something...


Was awoken to the sound of Big Ben chiming the first of eleven. Cursed myself for being so knackered, woke up and observed the silence, moaned to my wife that she hadn't woken me, to which she replied she had tried, then eventually made my way down to the cenotaph about 1/4 mile away, then wandered around the Abbey grounds looking at the memorials. I'm really a bit miffed with myself...


Book Reviewer
... was attending a moving Remembrance Service in Camp Butmir, Sarajevo, attendend by many of nations serving in EUFOR and NATO missions here. The Padre's sermon was moving, but not heavy. I saw a few tears shed amongst the congregation... until my own tears blurred the image. We then partook of the traditional curry lunch (with our multi-national brothers) and drank a few pints for those who have gone before us...

edited - because it needed it...
Was standing on the side of the road in Abergavenny watching a small band of the old and bold at the cenotaph (which idiot decided to put it in the middle of the road?). Was impressed by some cars that stopped for the silence, wasn't by most of the rest that just charged on past.

Stopped my van at the side of the road got out and paid my respects as the traffic carried on,shed a tear for an old friend and countless others I didn't have the priviledge to know then carried on with my job.
I too was at a Junior football match... the boys all under 11 were brilliant, a few are sons of active servicemen but all understood the reason behind the silence .
Spent the morning selling poppy's in Widnes,then at 1100hrs gathered in Morrisons......who locked the doors and two minutes silence was observed by all.....very moving.Most major stores carried this out.The town was still for two minutes.
As I walked into the our local DIY store one of the older staff was informing everyone that they would be observing a minutes silence, stopped me dead as I was with the faries and did not realise the time. Store manager announced the start overe the loudspeaker system, all goes quiet, heads lowered, even the traffic outside seemed to still. 2 mins to reflect on how lucking one is.
Supplied a sangar with a fresh batch of 7.62mm. Then stood and looked out over an open area towards distant hills and wondered how my dad was coping back home.

Then back to stagging on!
Bad_Crow said:
Supplied a sangar with a fresh batch of 7.62mm. Then stood and looked out over an open area towards distant hills and wondered how my dad was coping back home.

Then back to stagging on!
Watch yer arcs laddy, watch yer arcs :wink:

I don't know who came up with the 2 minutes tradition, but I reckon it's perfect -

Long enough to remember my grandad and what his generation survived. Long enough to spare a few thoughts for our troops on the ground today. Long enough - whether I want to or not - to recal some men I knew who gave all. Long enough to stop myself blubbing like a girl. Long enough to be grateful that, in a couple of seconds I'll be cracking on with life as normal, while others can't.

Thanks to all who are currently stagging on.

And DM, EJ and TH, Rest in Peace.
On the island I live on the civil defence sirens go off to mark the beginning and the end of the 2 min silence, so no matter where you are on the island you have no reason to miss it. I was an hour into a run going through some woods in a high part of the island, the sirens started I stopped, had a great view of the west coast of the island, the wind blowing in the trees and a sea air coming from the sea. probably the best place I had observed the 2 min silence.
Was on duty last night and got home 0600 this morning and went straight to be. Up at 1055 and stood for the two minutes silence and then got tarted up to come back into work for 1230.
was about halfway through my saturday run on a nice little quiet track. i stopped, did a quick time check to confirm 1100. spent 2 minutes reflecting, and then cracked on.


............ took myself away from people who either failed to realise the significance of the moment or did not care and reflected on the sacrifice that some of our forefathers and comrades have made. Thought about the lads and girls on ops and hoped that they would all be safe home. And every time I consider it I realise how fortunate that this country is blessed with such outstanding Armed Forces. Had a lump in my throat I confess.
Was in London on duty also being a proud mother. My daughter took part in the parade (RAF cadet) felt very proud. My thoughts were of friends recently lost, friends and comrades still on ops. I'm not ashamed to say i shed a tear.
...was stood in the centre of Kabul, wishing that the traffic would shut up. Then for a few moments, it did just that, and a quiet descended on the multinational congregation that came together to observe the two minutes silence.

Then a car drove past honking its horn all the way down the perimeter wall. Cnut.

New Posts

Latest Threads