ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Asymmetric warfare, terrorism, and Daesh.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Resasi, Jul 26, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And, I absolutely agree.

That said it cannot escape even the most PC and huggy-feely of us that she posed an unacceptable security risk.

Her choice of jobs in a less sensitive position is large. The job she obviously sought, and took, is not the one it is this country’s interests for her to take.

Your emotive appeal on her behalf and statement of ‘mass graves for anyone connected with jihadis’ is excessive, perhaps betraying a somewhat more connected attachment than you care to otherwise admit.

2. This piece of human excreta avoids Terrorism charges on a technicality.
    'Soldier of Allah' avoids terror charge due to Facebook settings

His messages were explicit and terroristic in nature. David TC Davies, Conservative MP for Monmouthshire and a former serving police officer, has called for the laws that allowed him to get off need to be changed to prevent terrorist sympathisers and people like this man encouraging violent acts spreading hate-filled messages, then being released because their social medi settings were set to private. This despite the fact in this case he was sending this to over a hundred people.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. No, he avoided a conviction as he was charged with the wrong offence.

"grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character" the news article says....?

Hmm, where have a I heard that before?

The clue is in s127 Communications Act 2003, which requires the misuse of a PUBLIC electronic communications system.

I am pissed and haven't been a cop for a while now, but I recognise that. Maybe the journalists should too?

The offence under s1 TACT 2006, which is the encouragement of terrorism offence, has no such provision.

The fact the whole thing is at Magistrates court should be a warning also.

s127 Communications Act is what I used to do harrasssing boyfriends for when on a domestic violence unit. Cannot be tried at Crown Court. Drawn your own conclusions as to seriousness......

I mean, it's almost like the Home Office is feeding journlists stories to support a Home Secretary who wants to take on social media companies.

Or maybe I am a suspicious sort of chap......

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Well as the article says

So he wasn't charged under s1 TACT 2006, or s51 Criminal Law Act 1977 (Bomb Hoax)

Incidentally, Bomb Hoax is triabale on indictment and carries 7 years on conviction.

The thing is, the Communications Act offence requires the communications to be 'obscene and grossly offensive', so really the prosecutor cannot go beyond that as that is all that has been proved at law.

I remain suspicious of the lad in question.

I remain suspicious of the provenance of the news story and it's agenda.....

5. It is a news story carried by a number of papers, though this admittedly does not guarantee its veracity, it does smack either of a number of lazy editors...or of some substance.

It is fairly certain that at least some sections of the authorities will remain suspicious of the ‘lad’.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 at 12:56 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bad news of terrorism deflecting attention from the budget implied? Or perhaps a play for more funds?

In light of what the head of Counterterrorism stated, what we as the public know, from what was threatened, has happened, and is ongoing it is reasonable to presume the threat may increase with the dispersal of daesh from Iraq and Syria.

As a security agent for 34 years at the UK intelligence agency, when Andrew Parker the now head of counter terrorism operations states that 20 planned attacks on British soil were foiled in the past four years, seven in the past seven months all masterminded by Islamic extremists.
    Then goes on to say the increasing number of plots meant it was becoming "harder to detect" every attack being planned, it would probably be reasonable to believe him.

Not every plot comes to fruition, many simply wishful thinking, but make a mistake when potentially hundreds might die, it might be better to try and investigate as many as possible. If he is fighting his corner for more resources more power to him.

Has ISIS spread? Shock map shows cells have sprung up in WEEKS during jiahdi reaction

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 1:49 AM
  8. Naive and disillusioned Britons returning from Syria should not be prosecuted, says terror law watchdog.

The only slight problem possibly being that since they had not integrated in the first place, had become jihadis, left to join daesh, and taken part in some less than savory activities, reintegration is probably not the word to use.

Not to prosecute, identify, and make them face at least some consequences would seem counterintuitive...but, would seem to be following the present trend of ignoring criminal activity if deemed 'insignificant'. And people wonder why crime rates are rising.
    SHOPLIFTERS’ CHARTER: Police say as long as you steal less than £100 we won't trouble you

No doubt the shoplifters were simply naive and will in time reintegrate disillusioned by their lapse. The very idea that there were no consequences might encourage them is of course unthinkable, or of course that some might be career criminal welcoming this wonderful invitation.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 9:09 AM
  9. Minister calls for 'almost every' British Islamic State fighter to be killed
    Rory STEWART regarding Brit IS members, the solution is ‘in almost every case, to kill them’:
    He also seems to be against people joining the Pesh to fight IS:
    Fate of British jihadi Abu Sa'eed Al Britani 'could deter others'
    In other news former Morrison’s security guard maybe dead:

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. That's unlucky for Abu Sa'eed al-Britani. I'm suprised he didn't get done over by AQ earlier after he p1ssed them off and got kicked out. He was quite prolific on ask.fm and Tumblr a few years ago, answering questions and posting long screeds which were insulting to the Syrians that he'd supposedly gone out there to help. Worryingly he used to post pictures of himself surrounded by kids in refugee camps too, which considering his sex offender status back in the UK doesn't bode well for what he was doing out there. His c unt credentials were pretty strong tbh.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to IS members like 'Jihadi Jack' who have ended up being 'captured by Kurds'. His white, English parents are kicking up quite a stink about his detention. I don't think foreign influence travels that far, as Assad has demonstrated quite well by torturing and starving to death foreign fighters that have ended up in his posession, including Brits. It'd be more convenient for everyone if these foreign fighters had the decency to expire away from the West but things don't always work out that way.

I think there is some value in making a general recognition that Islamism is a supremacist, totalitarian ideology and making it as socially acceptable as white-supremacism. You couldn't have the KKK running schools, being given space in newspapers, airtime on the radio/TV or able to proselytize in the UK openly so I'd rather that Islamists understood that we don't want their crap anywhere near us.

On the subject of the Pesh, there are good reasons why it's not good for Brits to go out there joining armed groups, even if their current aims broadly align with ours in regards to IS. No good can come from links being made between individuals in the UK and people with access to arms, ammo and training in ungoverned spaces.

Allahu akbar.

• Like Like x 2