Asymmetric warfare, terrorism, and Daesh.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Resasi, Jul 26, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I love spotting which bits you've plagiarised from where without attributing the source:

In the following months, the Islamic State reached the height of its power, commanding large expanses of land that stretched from the northern regions of Syria to the outskirts of Iraq’s capital Baghdad. Soon after al-Baghdadi’s public appearance in Mosul, the United States government set up a joint task force aimed at killing or capturing him. The group, which is still operational today, includes representatives from the Armed Forces, the National Security Council, and the Intelligence Community.

Is quite reminiscent of this bit of writing isn't it?

In the following months, the Islamic State reached the height of its power, commanding large expanses of land that stretched from the northern regions of Syria to the outskirts of Iraq’s capital Baghdad. Soon after al-Baghdadi’s public appearance in Mosul, the United States government set up a joint task force aimed at killing or capturing him. The group, which is still operational today, includes representatives from the Armed Forces, the National Security Council, and the Intelligence Community.

Islamic State leader al-Baghdadi abandons Mosul, say intelligence sources

All you have to do is to link to the source and indicate which part of your post is from the article and which is your own thoughts. As per the site rules. Not hard is it? I know I'm on ignore for pointing this out in the past BTW.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. I'll catch up with the rest of your contributions at another moment but if you're going to post other people's analysis, at least have the decency to post a link. It's sloppy af at best...

3. Aah... run out of ammunition on my anti-muslim bias, so having a pop at something else.

Give it a rest, get a life and accept that not every one likes the Muslim religion, for the various reasons that have been given to you over the various threads where you have objected to what I have to say.

But, in fact I accept that this particular criticism is valid. I intended to, neglected to, and should have done just that.

It was a para-phrased and condensed version of an analysis by Ian Allen of Intel news.
    intelNews.org

Now you can go back to explain why you think we should not be looking for possible terrorist plots from the Muslim community in the UK, or why various people have felt it an excellent topic.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. I'm not bothered, in any way, about discussing the subject of Islamism and Islamic terrorism. In fact, it's one of the
    topics which I most frequently post about.

It's good that you feel that the government and security departments have been 'amazingly effective' in their efforts
    against terrorism. So what else do you think that they should be doing to combat extremism and terrorism? You'll note that the government is not targeting Muslims or the Islamic religion, so why do you insist on focusing on the entire Muslim communities and the Islamic religion? Do you think that the government should start to target all Muslims in order to combat extremism and terrorism? If so, how?

Have a look at the Prevent strategy and read up on what the government is doing to tackle extremism and terrorism.

It's a big leap to say that because IS are a Muslim, they realistically represent Islam and Muslims. Unsurprisingly, it is
    an idea that IS themselves promote, so I wonder why you would also spend time boosting their message?

I think the solution to combating Islamic extremism has to be far more nuanced if it is to succeed. Helping to promote
    secular Muslim commentators and academics would go a long way to remove the worryingly mainstream Salafi spokesmen from mainstream media and pave the way for removing the influence of extremists from education and local politics. Helping to promote the understanding that Islamism is a type of far right politics will make it more acceptable to tell 'community leader' types to go down the same hole as other right wing extremists and remove the ambiguities from wider society that Islamism shouldn't be tolerated for any reasons, PC or otherwise.

Interestingly, one of the barriers to secular Muslim commentators getting a better crack of the whip in the media is
    that their support base frequently attracts anti-Muslim right wing nutters which means that the Islamists can easily
    bat them off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Other than pandering to an already demanding section of immigrants,
    Muslims 'have the RIGHT to use Sharia law in Britain', says Islamic activist

Muslims march on London, demanding Sharia law and a Caliphate -- Thanks for the asylum! - Europe - International - News - Catholic Online

...not sure we have any other group who have demanded that their religion/creed/laws should overrule the laws and religion of this country.

What else did your preceding post actually mean...other than that they are already squabbling amongst themselves here.

They do that with great vigour in their own countries though perhaps not quite observing the Queensbury rules.

There are undoubtedly many in this country who would assist daesh...and, as an afterthought, very hard to imagine a bunch of minority Christians being able to do anything remotely similar in any Muslim country on this planet.

So @BarcelonaAnalPark, with regard to your question, "...so why do you insist on focusing on the entire Muslim communities and the Islamic religion?” Possibly because there might just be cause for concern?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. Just in case, you do realise that video opens and continues with convicted terrorist Trevor Brooks (otherwise known as Abu izzadeen)?

Need4Khalifa or whatever it was at the time was the trading name for Al Muhajiroun.

Obviously large chunks of Al Muhajiroun have done time for a variety of offences (not all terrorists offences, but mainly). Several have obviously nipped off to Syria, some killed by targetted strikes. Dear old Anjem is currently also convicted and doing time.

But many?

Roughly 2.6 million Muslims in the UK (on 2011 figures). ALM is disproportionately linked to UK terrorist arrests (25% of all arrests between 1998 and 2015 on one study) , but still only 325 arrests in 2015 for example.

On my rough maths, the CT arrests to total UK muslim population ratio is 0.0125%

I long held a point of view that if the media had not built choudhary up to such a position, he'd have been one more loon sprawling on the toilet wall of the 21st century.

I don't say Al Muhajiroun is not significant, due to the nexus of offending it encourages.

But is it representative? Not terribly, I suggest.

(The report I quote from is here

Islamist Terrorism: Analysis of Offences and Attacks in the UK - Henry Jackson Society

Links to proscribed organisations is dealt with on page 980).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

. . .and against CA rules too - for a good reason - we don't need problems with copyright issues. @Resasi: expect a significant sanction if it happens again. Details of how to post from copyright articles is in the standards sticky.

8. Noted, acknowledged, apologised for, and link added post #529.

Only 325 ??

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. Well, to put it in perspective there were 85,000 raped in England and Wales according to An Overview of Sexual Offending in England and Wales (2013 data published in 2015).

So you are more likely to be a victim of that than CT.

I always found it odd that a chap a dealt with got 5 years for a couple of Facebook posts (he was not a member of Al Muhajiroun and just seemed obsessed with jihad), but a rapist got 4 years for a particularly violent domestic rape.

Never mind, I left such things to the courts.

10. Since the thread is not about rape, or sexual offences, but asymmetric warfare terrorism and daesh, I am not quite sure what the connection is there??

11. The effects of terrorism are having ongoing consequences that impact adversely on all of us, in this situation travellers from Middle Eastern countries.
    Exclusive: Britain poised to ban electronic devices on Middle Eastern flights amid terror threat

This by the BBC.
    Electronic devices banned on some US flights from Muslim states - BBC News

There is, inevitably, some spin that some papers are putting on the move, with a touch of anti-Trump overtones, but hey if that was a factor, then lets go back to 'actions have consequences'.
    Analysis | Trump won’t allow you to use iPads or laptops on certain airlines. Here’s why.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM
  12. Just making a point about perspective and harm.

13. Not sure what point you were trying to make.

My point has just been made tragic reality in London yesterday.