ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Asymmetric warfare, terrorism, and Daesh.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Resasi, Jul 26, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Terrorist atrocities in Europe are on a rapid increase, many of which are claimed by, and in many cases at least found to be inspired by daesh/ISIL/ISIS. As their actual physical presence in Iraq and Syria continues to be degraded, their dystopian vision and aims seem now to be morphing into a more difficult to control form of asymmetric warfare within those countries that have actively been opposing it.

There are a number of threads that cover both its activities, and recent actions within Europe, but it now seems, having tried to establish a Caliphate that is now shrinking, we will see a greater emphasis on what happens as some of its disciples now try to disperse back to where they came from.

They have been assiduously preparing the ground, an extremely interesting talk by Lt. Gen Sir Graeme Lamb covered this in 2013...

...though fairly long it covered almost presciently what European Governments are now facing within their own borders, and the difficulties faced given the force multiplication for both good, and in daesh’s case for evil, by the internet and social media.

Given the tensions created by the ongoing immigrant crisis in Europe, between cultures and religions, there presently exists a large capacity for them to exploit this and create major upheaval. To combat this, we in all probability, seeing a continuing increase in ‘Emergency powers’ by successive Governments, as the freedoms we enjoy facilitate their twisted agenda.

Hopefully not as draconian as those presently being employed by Turkey.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  2. "He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security" or words to that effect, spring to mind.

• Like Like x 18
  3. DaManBugs

DaManBugs On ROPs Book Reviewer

A very interesting and timely topic, given the situation in various European countries at the moment. I’d like to slightly alter one of the statements in your post: “Given the tensions being intentionally created by the media on the ongoing immigrant crisis in Europe, between cultures and religions, there presently exists a large capacity for them to exploit this and create major upheaval.

I find it notable that most of the attacks being carried out are by “home-grown” wallahs. I’ve yet to hear of a bunch of IS fellas infiltrating a country in force and doing anything. Another noteworthy feature is that the attacks are being carried out by predominantly well-educated folks and not by the semi-illiterate. The combination of the media constantly sensationalising the issue and the fact that almost all of the “attackers” come from largely marginalised and often harassed sections of society indicates that the boiling resentment that they, and previous generations, have felt at not being given a fair crack of the whip in the societies in which they live has given them a “new hook to hang their hats on”. What I mean is that, whereas beforehand they could only take out their, entirely understandable, frustrations with sporadic attacks on the Old Bill or “posh folks” in their respective countries, they’ve now found a new “cause”. Perhaps it’s an indication of their desperation at ever being taken seriously that they’re willing to die for their new-found “cause”. A sort of aim or direction in life, as it were, that, finally allows them to strike back at those they consider responsible for their situation.

MsG

• Show again braincell x 7
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  4. A murderer is a murderer.

Any attempts at justifying or excusing the actions of murderers (especially mass murderers or those murdering in the name of religion) should quite rightly fall on deaf ears.

If they want to publicly winge and protest they should crack on.

• Like Like x 6

5. Have you finished editing?

6. If the effect of these atrocities is to force a rethink in the West's quite chaotic foreign policies regarding the Middle East (in which I've been a willing executioner I admit) then it will be a good thing. Unfortunately, it seems that, as usual we will sink into ever more prescriptive 'security' to treat the symptoms rather than address root causes.

Make no mistake, defeating radical Islam will take more than guns and bullets, it's the idea that has to be destroyed and it's the ordinary Muslims that must do it.

Think on how long it took to return NI to 'normality', and the sacrifices! And even now the lid is barely on and some schools on both sides still encourage division.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

• Like Like x 17
  7. DaManBugs

DaManBugs On ROPs Book Reviewer

I agree absolutely and I made no attempt to justify or excuse their actions. What I was trying to express was that without some radical change in the way we run our societies, there will always be some group that will rise up, not necessarily in the name of religion, but certainly to gain attention for the plight that they perceive themselves to be in. And the root cause of that is the inequality in our societies and cultures. That's what we should all be working on.

MsG

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I wouldn't necessarily say it's the inequality, more the exclusion/segregation of certain groups; this can then lead to the feeling of ostracism which provides an excellent breeding ground for radicalisation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

My edit in Bold. In the same way that the media can be accused of creating the immigration crisis, just because someone thinks they are being oppressed, doesn't they actually are... All it takes is a very persuasive talker.

• Like Like x 4
  10. I saw this when I was watching videos given by Palantir at the conference as well (which are worth watching).

I very much enjoyed his argument, and came away from it supremely depressed (from my owkr perspective) as I could not think of one current senior police officer capable of such a broad brush analysis setting the agenda.

I had the privilege of hearing David Venessential speak at RUSI, and that was the best I heard from a police leader. And he was succeeded by Andy Hayman, and look at how he performed in front of the Home Affairs select committee!

11. We have bent over backwards to accommodate muslims. The only exclusion and segregation is self imposed.

• Like Like x 23

12. And if you appease, you have neither liberty or security....

"…But our great security lies, I think, in our growing strength, both in numbers and wealth; … unless, by a neglect of military discipline, we should lose all martial spirit …; for there is much truth in the Italian saying, Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you.…"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Well I could go into the ways of terrorising the terrorists - but you lot would have a conniption while making wailing noises of angiush at how terrible it all is.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Old Old x 1
  14. I agree absolutely but politicians either feel compelled to do something, whatever that may be or use it as an excuse to further their own aims. The end justifies the means, or so they think.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Surely the biggest problem is identifying them before they attack?