Aswat to be deported to UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Aug 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC:

Story is here.

With no sense of irony or attempt at humour whatsoever - a good day for justice IMHO, and good to see a country like Zambia - which some may consider utterly corrupt and tacit supporters of terrorism - co-operating with the UK and US.
  2. I agree DD
  3. Further DD, good to see, if true that there won't be dragging of feet in shipping him onto the US to be tried there if he has no crime to answer to in the UK, rather that than see the gentleman go free on our soil! I'm sure if he's proven innocent that he'll be back.

4. You can't help feeling that he would spend a far more uncomfortable time in a Zambian prison rather than a uk or usa one if he is convicted. Is he liable to the death penalty in US?
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

No. The UK has an agreement with the US Government that anyone extradited to the US from the UK, cannot be sentenced to death.

It's because we are signatories to the European Convention on Human Rights, and we take our international obligations more seriously than, say, the French.

edited because I have big fingers, and a small keyboard.
  6. ???? - why no dragging of feet? Will htere be no extraditi0n hearing, appeal to the High Court, Appeal to the House of lords as in other cases?