Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF201

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by SKJOLD, Feb 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Actually, that is quite nice. How much is it? I couldn't see a price.

2. have also been drooling over one. waiting to wait for a new contract first :(

3. Price wise (don't quote on that)I think its around £350 for the tablet and another £125 for the keyboard. My colleague has one. He's my new best friend.
    SK

4. The 201 (I've got one of the old 101's they're still damned good) has some wireless and gps issues because of the metal body, if you can wait until June/July they have a new model out with a full HD screen, called, imaginitively the Transformer HD ;-)

5. Met a mate with one, looks fantastic (the pad, not the mate). Battery in the keyboard can charge the battery in the pad, extending its life. If I was wanting a pad, it'd probably be that one.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

6. I hope they've improved since the Asus Eee PC 900A. I bought the grandkids one each & both of the keyboards packed up. Apparently a common fault.

7. will be able to run windows 8 or is this IT choice thing going into a 3 way split windows/android/apple?

8. This is a very nice piece of kit and I have been looking at it for some time. Yet I still find myself not being able to choose between this and the iPad(which ever is current when I get around to it).

I know yes, iPad = apple = cnuts but for sheer ease of use and "compatibility" for want of a better word, in regard to FaceTime and so on, it remains a serious option for even the most staunch apple-i-phobe. They piss me off with their release schedule, over pricing and lack of support for older models (I have an iphone 3G which 2years and about a week after purchase developed a case of the dont-wanna-works and was snootily told be apple that I should have already up-graded anyway - but I digress). They just "feel" so nice to use however I think part of that is psychological and due to the idea of buying-into a particular life-style.

The overriding reasons that the Asus is likely to win though can be found in the specifications:
    Interface Pad:
    1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
    1 x micro HDMI
    1 x Micro SD Card Reader
    Mobile Dock:
    1 x USB2.0 port
    1 x SD Card Reader

If ever they give the iPad USB (that works with mass-storage) or perhaps even the much needed SD port, it will unfortunately be Apple all the way :(

EDIT:
    Unless Asus add the word "Optimus" in there somewhere - then it's all about the name :)

9. I think I'm going to hang on and see what a Windows 8 pad looks like. I quite like both Apple & Android pads, but I want less of the yoof & entertainment stuff, and something a bit more productive. I've looked at a couple of the Nokias running whatever the MS mobile system is currently called, and am quite sold on the bundled MS office in those. For me the killer app is going to be the one that allows me to knock up an Excel spreadsheet without too much stabbing away with fat fingers - eg a pad or phome with a stylus or similar. A Samsung Galaxy Note running Win 8 would be an ideal converged device IMHO....