Astute commander "relieved of post"

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by trademarklondon, Nov 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Started new thread because the earlier one is now closed.

Was relieving him of his post a good idea? Leaving him in the job pretty well guarantees he'll not make the same mistake again.... in fact he would probably be a much better commander than somebody who has never been publicly ridiculed for a mistake... he would be very careful not to make mistakes in order to redeem himself.
  2. Can the RN take that risk though, the fact that he was Commander of the vessel and the incident happened is bad enough. That it happened where it did was lucky for him, and the vessel got off lightly. In other circumstances he might`ve lost the boat and the crew, totally unacceptable from someone in his position.
    In the other thread I`m sure someone posted a pic from the film 'Das Boot' of the chap in the engine room shouting "Coles you **** !!" I couldn`t have put it better myself.
  3. Depends a bit on whether he still had the confidence of his crew. Which I suppose would depend largely on his previous record. Anyone know?
  4. Yes he was a first class cnut - but it will be interesting to see how long the next commander takes to make an error of judgement (read fcuk-up) - most captains or commanders run aground once in their careers.... this guy's done it now, so won't do it again.... so you put the Astute in the hands of somebody who hasn't joined that worshipful runaground club..... sooner or later.....
  5. Seems it's the way these days.A bit like the old joke you can be the nicest bloke in town. Raise money for handicapped kids, rescue old ladies from a fire, build an orphanage. But fcuk one pig and it's Billy the pig nobber forever!
  6. I can't see that he had a previous bad record if he was given the command of the Astute, so I think the RN may have fcuked up here... and I predict that the next commander will, sooner or later, fcuk up in even greater style than ex commander coles :-D
  7. He's still a Commander, it's his rank (LtCol to all you pongos) just not a Captain any more. Although he will be one if he gets promoted to Captain.
  8. Slightly off thread, but Sky News broadcast magnificent video shots of the Astute's propulsion system, kort nozzle and flashy turbine-bladed propellor this morning in glorious HD, which I'm assuming is a bad thing.
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

There are three things certain in life ...
    and ...
    Losing your appointment and being Court Martialled if you run one of HM Ships aground.

Personally, I'm sorry for the guy. Until any 'adult' reports emerge, anything else is just speculation.
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Drill used to be CM first, conviction OR NOT second, sentence third. Which might be anything from reprimand via dismissed his ship to death I suppose. This chap seems to have been sacked without benefit of a trial. Perhaps because the mishap took place where the Press could take photographs.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Certainly seems to be a different drill from the old days. However, prima facie, he put Astute aground. QED.
  12. His charts were out of date - a 1.2 billion pound vessel and they skimped on the charts.... ok so as captain it's his responsibility to check... but suppose he'd checked and requisitioned new charts and they still hadn't been delivered?

Whoever was responsible for equipping the Astute should be brought to book....
  13. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Where did you get the charts where out of date from??
  14. Guns - it was in ALL the newspapers and on the BBC and ITV at the time... here's just one link CLICK HERE
  15. How do you know?

You'd have no trouble naming a few dozen out of the several hundred senior officers in the Royal Navy then, would you? (Assuming you understand the difference between Captain (Rank), Captain (job title), Commander (rank) and Commander (job title on a ship commanded by Captin and rank simultaneously). And, of course, you obviously appreciate that hardly any Captains and Commanders have a seagoing appointment, seeing as you are knowledgeable enough to make statements like the one above.

Like all of the other armchair Admirals on this site (myself included) you have no idea about what happened to Astute.

Anyway, they had to do some crash testing to see whether the air bags work properly.