• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Astute commander "relieved of post"

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Started new thread because the earlier one is now closed.

Was relieving him of his post a good idea? Leaving him in the job pretty well guarantees he'll not make the same mistake again.... in fact he would probably be a much better commander than somebody who has never been publicly ridiculed for a mistake... he would be very careful not to make mistakes in order to redeem himself.

Was relieving him of his post a good idea? Leaving him in the job pretty well guarantees he'll not make the same mistake again.... .
Can the RN take that risk though, the fact that he was Commander of the vessel and the incident happened is bad enough. That it happened where it did was lucky for him, and the vessel got off lightly. In other circumstances he might`ve lost the boat and the crew, totally unacceptable from someone in his position.
In the other thread I`m sure someone posted a pic from the film 'Das Boot' of the chap in the engine room shouting "Coles you **** !!" I couldn`t have put it better myself.

Depends a bit on whether he still had the confidence of his crew. Which I suppose would depend largely on his previous record. Anyone know?

Yes he was a first class cnut - but it will be interesting to see how long the next commander takes to make an error of judgement (read fcuk-up) - most captains or commanders run aground once in their careers.... this guy's done it now, so won't do it again.... so you put the Astute in the hands of somebody who hasn't joined that worshipful runaground club..... sooner or later.....

Seems it's the way these days.A bit like the old joke you can be the nicest bloke in town. Raise money for handicapped kids, rescue old ladies from a fire, build an orphanage. But fcuk one pig and it's Billy the pig nobber forever!

I can't see that he had a previous bad record if he was given the command of the Astute, so I think the RN may have fcuked up here... and I predict that the next commander will, sooner or later, fcuk up in even greater style than ex commander coles :-D

He's still a Commander, it's his rank (LtCol to all you pongos) just not a Captain any more. Although he will be one if he gets promoted to Captain.

Slightly off thread, but Sky News broadcast magnificent video shots of the Astute's propulsion system, kort nozzle and flashy turbine-bladed propellor this morning in glorious HD, which I'm assuming is a bad thing.

There are three things certain in life ...
Death
Taxes
and ...
Losing your appointment and being Court Martialled if you run one of HM Ships aground.

Personally, I'm sorry for the guy. Until any 'adult' reports emerge, anything else is just speculation.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Drill used to be CM first, conviction OR NOT second, sentence third. Which might be anything from reprimand via dismissed his ship to death I suppose. This chap seems to have been sacked without benefit of a trial. Perhaps because the mishap took place where the Press could take photographs.

Drill used to be CM first, conviction OR NOT second, sentence third. Which might be anything from reprimand via dismissed his ship to death I suppose. This chap seems to have been sacked without benefit of a trial. Perhaps because the mishap took place where the Press could take photographs.
Certainly seems to be a different drill from the old days. However, prima facie, he put Astute aground. QED.

His charts were out of date - a 1.2 billion pound vessel and they skimped on the charts.... ok so as captain it's his responsibility to check... but suppose he'd checked and requisitioned new charts and they still hadn't been delivered?

Whoever was responsible for equipping the Astute should be brought to book....

Yes he was a first class cnut -
How do you know?

most captains or commanders run aground once in their careers
You'd have no trouble naming a few dozen out of the several hundred senior officers in the Royal Navy then, would you? (Assuming you understand the difference between Captain (Rank), Captain (job title), Commander (rank) and Commander (job title on a ship commanded by Captin and rank simultaneously). And, of course, you obviously appreciate that hardly any Captains and Commanders have a seagoing appointment, seeing as you are knowledgeable enough to make statements like the one above.

Like all of the other armchair Admirals on this site (myself included) you have no idea about what happened to Astute.

Anyway, they had to do some crash testing to see whether the air bags work properly.

Guns - it was in ALL the newspapers and on the BBC and ITV at the time... here's just one link CLICK HERE
... may have run aground because it was using out-of-date charts.
I really don't think that constitutes a case.

ASTUTE may have run aground because the helmsman was pi§§ed, or may have run aground due to an exceptional rip tide, or may have run aground because the rudder was operating in the opposite sense to the control inputs .... oh, come on.

Until the Enquiry has been completed, nobody knows what happened, least of all the Bludgy Media.

Ancient Mariner, you are correct - but I do know that a goodly number of RN vessels do run aground each year, but most are able to free themselves or be freed with minimum effort, and very obviously the RN choose not to seek publicity over the matter.... cruise ships - notably the QE2 - also tend to run aground from time to time, as do various commercial and private vessels... it's a form of transport, and all forms of transport experience minor mishaps from time to time.... however, Coles had the misfortune to have his "incident" in full view of the British press.... perhaps his relief has more to do with the publicity than the actual event :-D

I'm not an armchair admiral - I'll pm you :-D

Regardless of what MAY have happened,the Captain is in charge,and has to take full responsability for all that happens on his ship!

I really don't think that constitutes a case.

ASTUTE may have run aground because the helmsman was pi§§ed, or may have run aground due to an exceptional rip tide, or may have run aground because the rudder was operating in the opposite sense to the control inputs .... oh, come on.

Until the Enquiry has been completed, nobody knows what happened, least of all the Bludgy Media.

His charts were out of date - a 1.2 billion pound vessel and they skimped on the charts.... ok so as captain it's his responsibility to check... but suppose he'd checked and requisitioned new charts and they still hadn't been delivered?

Whoever was responsible for equipping the Astute should be brought to book....
Guns - it was in ALL the newspapers and on the BBC and ITV at the time... here's just one link CLICK HERE
I don't see that written in there. The closest thing I can see is:

Daily Mail said:
A Navy source said: ‘One of the things that is being looked at is if the charts were up to date with recent seabed changes in the area.’
A 'source' saying the charts will be checked, is not 'his charts were out of date', especially when the 'source' could be the tea lady.
The entire article is newspaper speak for 'we haven't got a clue, but we have space to fill and a newspaper to sell so we'll make something up'.

Latest Threads