Astrophysics = Selling snake oil?

RedDinger

Swinger
Its a piece of p*ss. Make something up that can't be proved. Accuse someone else of making something up that was wrong and you're right. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Hawkin was a charlatan.

Friday evening at Wednesday lunchtime?

It must be lock-down.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Mods... destroy this

Make something up that can't be proved.
Just because you aren't intelligent enough to understand something doesn't mean its b0ll0cks.

Its a piece of p*ss. Make something up that can't be proved. Accuse someone else of making something up that was wrong and you're right. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Hawkin was a charlatan.
Probably the wrong thread for this pal.

Notwithstanding that, any chance of explaining why exactly Hawkin was a charlatan and astrophysics is snake oil science.

We look forward to your profundity.

I think that each generation produces its own theories to explain known observations. Sometimes the theories are good working models, other times they are models made up to fit observations which can allow more work but are known or guessed to be a problem.

A good one which was later shown to be wrong and just within living memory ( I think) was the ether...an undetectable medium which allowed light to travel from place to place through a vacuum.

Another one is evolutionary contingency which attempts to explain how harmful gene sweeps occur in evolution and why certain species became extinct when they really shouldn't have, eg Marsh Hen and Mososaur.

It doesn't mean that the people using these theories are charlatans. It means that the people thinking them came up with the ideas within the current state of knowledge and their thought processes which are, after all, human and limited no matter how clever they are.

This I believe is the most telling comment;

"More cosmic observations and research will need to be undertaken to establish whether this new object is indeed something that has never been observed before or whether it may instead be the lightest black hole ever detected."

A call for more research, or in other words money.

exspy

LE
Wasn't this the whole reason Sheldon gave up studying string theory?

“Beard required in aisle 3 at the rush - expedite beard to aisle 3”

endure

GCM

endure

GCM
Egg, bacon and mushrooms

Just because you aren't intelligent enough to understand something doesn't mean its b0ll0cks.

it could be bollocks, but this thread certainly doesn't prove it

All astrophysics is part of modern mythology. You don't think so?! Here you go, tell me what stopped the rocket dead in its tracks?

I see you are spreading your contagion. Like a bad case of pox.

As far as I can see from that video that privately funded rocket achieved near LEO. It actually got to 72 miles, confirmed by the FAA.

I suppose you think it crashed into the shell surrounding the flat earth. Or crashed into the moon when it got to 42 miles up.

To paraphrase your post "All Dipso Fuckto posts are part of modern stupidity".