• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Asthma

Hi u bunch of ARRSE'S,

I really want to join the Royal Marines or the Paras, and so I took it upon myself to visit a careers office and ask some questions. I went through a couple of videos and chit chat and then it came to the application - regarding asthma, I had ticked 'NO' about whether I had been treated for asthma, I was back when I was around 9 but ever since never had a problem. However recently I had bought to inhalers because my college wanted them for precautionary measures, so I bought them (on prescription). Little did I know that I f*&£!% myself real good. I mention that to the guy at the office and he took the application form and showed me the door :(

Basically he didnt like that I bought them and that it would show on my med history, and I have to be in the clear for at least 4 years!

So tell me is there no way of convincing them that I don't have asthma?

I have spoken to another careers office and they told me to see my GP and get it rechecked or tested properly to show that I don't or get GP to write a letter saying that I had only bought them because my college asked.

???Help :x

see your gp, get a spirometry test to show you have good lung function, also try and get the gp to write a letter saying you have not had medication for 4 years and maybe even a letter from the college explaining that although you have not had the symptoms for 4 years, it was actually them who requested the inhalers to cover their back's, hopefully they will look sympathically over the case.

Be warned though the docs in the army aren't too sympathetic, I waited 4 years.

boro_private said:
see your gp, get a spirometry test to show you have good lung function, also try and get the gp to write a letter saying you have not had medication for 4 years and maybe even a letter from the college explaining that although you have not had the symptoms for 4 years, it was actually them who requested the inhalers to cover their back's, hopefully they will look sympathically over the case.

Be warned though the docs in the army aren't too sympathetic, I waited 4 years.

And you still joined? Good drills

I am in te process of joining at the moment, waiting on more medical clearence because an old gp put down i had eczema. its'f f***ed up.

So should hear something next monday.

Latest Threads