Asthma

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Skip, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok before I get in trouble I have searched this topic so please bear with me!!

My question is this.

I recently had a bad viral infection. The result of which is a cough that wont go away. Been to docs today and he thinks its asthma. I don't think it is. He has prescribed me an inhaler which I have no intention of getting. The doc told me to come back in a week after using the inhaler. Again Im not going back. I did ask him not to put asthma on my records and told him why but not sure if he listened.

My reasons for thinking its not asthma, bearing in mind Im no doc, are that I have never smoked, am reasonably fit, suffer from hay fever occasionally and have never had anything like this before. This all started with a bad cold that turned out to be viral. If anything, I think Im still suffering from the repercussions of this.

I did a peak flow test at the docs and got above average for my height.

Im getting my fitness back up to standard as since I have been ill I did very little exercise. I cough when exercising (cardio) but don't wheeze.

What are my chances of getting into the TA? I know it says asthma or asthma symptoms (including treatment )within 4 years, but if I don't take the treatment am I ok?

Opinions or experiences please.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

UK doctors :roll:

Same thing happened to my teenage son - standard response it seems.

Take an allergy test - 2 dozen little pin pricks of common reactants on your forearm. Find what you are allergic to (in his case pollen from tree fungus). Confirm with flow tests.
    Its not a problem to have an inhaler if you find you have an allergy to something and need it occasionally - but it is if you depend on it and want to do certain things like join the military.

3. If its a blue inhaler marked ventolin or salbutamal .Its been given to you as a treatment for the chest infection .It should help with the breathlessness .Got given one when I went down with a chest infection prior to going to iraq didn't stop me deploying so relax use it if it helps .
    The bad news is the cough may last up to 6 weeks and there isnt really anything you can do about inhaling steam might help .
    Eating healthily getting plenty of rest exercising gently etc .
    Trying to exercise through might make things worse seen at least one super fit bloke turn a cold into peumonia by ignoring it .
    Do go back and see your gp better getting this cleared up than letting it
    linger .You cant diagnose asthma on one vist espically if you have a great peak flow .

4. Be very careful. If you really are late onset asthma and decide to ignore advice/treatment from your GP, there is always the risk that you could end up seriously ill, or, worse case scenario, dead. Asthma is still a big killer in this country.

Having said that, in my experience, GPs seem to prescribe inhalers and diagnose asthma at the drop of a hat.

My advice would be to get the inhaler, if there is no improvement or the symptoms worsen, use it. Also, go back and see your GP when he has suggested.

Bear in mind that if you attempt to join any of the services, the MO will contact your GP and ask for your medical records. Not going back will not make the problem disappear.

5. Normal disclaimers attached (i.e., not my patient, haven't met them, haven't done any diagnostics etc)...

I'd strongly recommend getting and using the inhaler.

6. While having above average peak flows would go some way to suggesting that, at the time the flows were tested there was little bronchospasm, I'm afraid your logic above (in my bold) is flawed.

Being a non-smoker doesn't mean you are not asthmatic. As I'm sure you know, many people are diagnosed as children below the age of 10. In many parts of the country, people haven't started smoking by this age.

Suffering from hayfever is, if anything, associated with other atopic illnesses such as asthma and eczema (although I accept there may not be a high degree of concordance).

Not having the symptoms before just means this is (if it is) the first asthma attack. It doesn't mean it isn't asthma.

I'm not trying to suggest you have asthma - how would I know? I'm just suggesting your logic doesn't really hold.

Good luck.

FF

7. If the Doc prescribed an inhaler, you might as well go and get it as it's on your medical records now, and it might help.

8. Let him treat you. If it turns out not to be asthma, spiffy. If it is, you have a problem. Find out either way and deal with it.

Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. I've been on an FTX with a guy who ignored the same doctors advice, and he had to have cas evac when he stopped breathing. He didn't seem to be enjoying himself much.

9. Thank you for your comments I get what your saying.

I was just going off the questions the doc asked me and what he based his assessment on.

Im going to wait before I get the inhaler. See how I feel in a week or so and decide then. Might also get a second opinion from another doc.

Thanks for your comments!

10. A GP is not capable of diagnosing asthma on the basis of one visit. The diagnosis asthma can only be made after a testbattery that a GP is simply not equiped for.

Therefore you should ask the good doctor to remove the diagnosis from your slate. It could help to tell him why -I want to be soldier and the MoD balks at the mere mentioning of the term...

If you are clear, direct and willing to undergo treatment that the doctor offers he is probably willing to cooperate.

Should you REALLY be diagnosed with asthma, it is still not a problem. I had it when I was a kid. pretty severe too; asthma, asthmatic bronchitis and pneumonia (in both lungs at the same time :( ).
    It didn't stop me to become a sergeant with para wings and red beret.

11. I agree it doesnt sound like asthma.. but try the inhaler anyway. They help for thing other than asthma.. I know a few athletes who take them just to open up their airways before competing.. pretty nifty things (the salbutanol/ventolin that is).

But yeah when I had asthma the GP wasnt really able to do anything i had to go to a special clinic for it.. they had all sorts of special equipment and god knows what..

J.