asthma

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by para, Nov 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ive got athsma and want to join the paras
    i think its started to go but dya think the paras will still let me in!

2. I am ex QA, now an Asthma Management nurse... Usually you have to be free of all inhalers for 2 years.... ie asthma resolved.
    Double check, but my hubby worked at an army recruit training centre and i believe you are not allowed in with active asthma or within 2 yrs of being on meds... sorry, but you can't be in the middle of a battle area and suddenly have an exacerbation

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I may be wrong but I thought it was/used to be 5 years clear of an attack?

That was certainly the case in '89 when I first applied and got knocked back aged 16.

4. I am 99% certain that you have to have been free from needing any form of inhaler for a minimum of FOUR YEARS. These details will have to be confirmed in writing by your regular GP as part of your enlistment medical programme.

If in doubt seek the advice of your local ACIO.

Good luck in any case...

5. 2yrs, 5yrs, 4yrs

I will go for ...................... 3yrs just to be different

6. Hi,
    I just had my medical and pretty sure its 5 years. They were a bit lenient with me cos I have been 4.5 years attack free so they let it slide. Did take them ages to make that decision tho, only cos im going into QARANC and not another area.

7. What are the symptoms of asthma?

8. Simply- intermittant trouble breathing. Wheezing, shortness of breath, tight chest. Usually relieved by bronchodialators.
    If you really interested asthma got good info on it.

9. Good luck sinistersiren on your career with the QAs. I managed 13+years as a QA before they broke me on exercise, but gained so much more experience than my civilian counterparts!!!
    Now working as a practic nurse and oneof my roles is asthma manager

10. Hey thanks sunflower! I am really looking forward to it and can't wait for all the experiences Im going to have that won't get in NHS. I have to qualify yet tho- got a year left.
    Starting next weekend and really looking forward to it- they're putting me in 335 med evac which sounds right up my street!
    Any useful tips for my future practice?

11. Just to clear this up, I am a serving Recruiter. You must be a full 4 years clear of all treatment and symptoms of asthma before an application will be accepted. This application will be subject to further medical investigation.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Top tips:

1 - join the best evac unit

2 - if you must go to 335 (GNER) Regt, remember that if God intended the army to fly, He would have made the sky green