Asthma > What EXACTLY is the procedure.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RoyalEngineers, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some people talk of "Lung Functions Test", some people talk of "Spirometry."

My question is, EXACTLY what test do you do at the ADSC if you've HAD asthma in the past, and what are they looking to measure, not the procedure etc I just want to know what they are checking for?

Just to clear up a bit of confusion :p
  2. Lung Function Test covers a multitude of sins. Spirometry is a lung function test and about the most basic.
    What they tend to do at ADSC is a form of exercise spirometry where they get a baseline test and then exercise the victim and then test again afterwards. What they are then looking at is any change between pre and post exercise, particularly the fall index which is a number derived from the pre-exercise and worst post-exercise recording.

Long winded but hope this helps. :roll:
  3. Mostly wheezing, sometimes death?
  4. Indeed it does.

So they only find it necessary to do with ex "asthma" victims, yet i'm probably fitter than a lot of non ex. sufferers.. strange ;)

I suppose it's fair enough, they won't look at individual cases will they?
  5. eerr...well i had asthama and i got a 9: 32 at adsc. and dont forget paula radcliffe is an asthma sufferer.

individual cases how?

thats what the LFT is about. its to look at you individually and see if you are suitable for the army.
  6. 9 : 32? Explain please.

And Individual cases as in never having attacks/ symptoms
  7. Run time I presume?
  8. the problem is, they cant tell attack history from your medical records. mostly, an attack doesnt require you to go to hospital and you can have your inhaler and lie down or w/e. and if you want to be in the army, people arent likely to admit to attacks if having none got them in.
    also, you could have no attacks because you never do any exercise (not saying you do not exercise, i mean in general). if your asthmatic, even if you've never had an attack, they cant tell how you would react with heavy exercise and stress.

and yes 9:32 for 1.5 mile run.
  9. Surprising how may elite athletes suffer from an illness that allows them to take steroids.
  10. Spirometry in its complictaed form measures a few things. The main measurement is FEV Forced Expiratory Volume. As said above it will probably be a before and after test to check for any exercise induced bronchospasm. Everyone does tend to be affected by this in some way, although air temp and humidity have a lot to say about the results. If you are an asthma victim there wil probably be a noticable change. However if you are generally fit and healthy and asthma doesnt trouble you now, then you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

I did my dissertation on Lung function and have forgotten about most of it, but if you have any questions PM me & i might be able to enlighten you.
  11. I was thinking yesterday, isnt it funny how they are so fussy about people who have suffered or suffer from even very mild asthma, yet they allow smokers in no probs?

I know many asthmatic athletes who suffer less from their condition than smokers at the same level. Surely a smoker is more of a liability than an asthmatic?

12. I agree. I mean.. no problems in the past! WAH! So I should be fine then.. if what i'm saying is correct, that I never had any problems and must be fine if I can run for as long as I say :oops:

Ahh well hey, never know till it's done
  13. whens your adsc?
  14. After April 2008. Time to prep, time in which to fantasise, comprimise and despise.
  15. what you going in for?

what you should do is ask your recruiter if they can get you a job promise for soon after your ADSC. mine did that for me, except i changed my mind. so if you pass you can go into phase 1 real quick!