Asthma confusion

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by kilo93, Feb 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was diagnosed with asthma as a very young child and am confused as to whether it is still an issue for recruitment - I am on the most minimal dose possible and have never had an asthma attack even though I have played county and regional sport.... Some clarification on the matter would be much appreciated as I want to sign up at university
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

It always has been a very big issue.
  3. Asthma - no chance.
  4. Right there a very simple way to remember it
    If it been more that 5years and that means you never had to go to doctor in last 5years about asthma. - Then your be fine!

You got a waiver from doctor saying your O.K - Then your be fine!

Also best to ask AFCO they really have the overall say on it!
  5. If you have continued to be prescribed inhalers (despite not needing them) within the last 4 years then you are fucked.
  6. i also had astma when i was about 7 or 8. on the medical the doctor passed me no probs
  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

As others have said it is all down to whether you have had medication or not in the last few years. if you have had it prescribed then you haven't got a chance. First thing to do is go talk to your local doctor and if he thinks it is save and appropriate then he can take you off the mdeication now and you will then have to wait a few years before the system says yes.

8. ah ok I'll go down the doctors in the summer and have a lungs test and try get it sorted - thanks all for your input :)
  9. He says he's on medication, you 'grew out' of it, the poster didn't.
  10. Wrong on all counts....

1. Its 4 years symptom and treatment free.
    2. Doctors can't give waivers (as jarrod says NO chance if under 4 years of any symptom and treatment)
    3. The AFCOs/ACIOs dont have the final say...the SMO at ADSC does

This goes for TA medicals and Regular medicals and all should be inline with each other in the near future
  11. When your done all your paper work there are Behind Sene offices which really are the ones that hold up and process applications and a Medical Officer (MO for short and SMO is Senior Medical Officer) at this stage can say Yes or No to your Asthma and where you then go to next step. depending on there decision from the evidence they get provided!

In which I ment by Doctor Waiver was if you not had it under x amount years and your O.K.

As sometimes we get these things wrong or sometimes need to clear things up. Also just to clear up AFCO/AFIOs are not medically trained and so can't get advice. Also AFCO/AFIO can have final say if you get processed on your application so be nice and take chocolate to them!

(Am sorry for jargon and if anyone wants to explain a jargon don't ask me :) hehe)