Association Football post London 2012

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Queensman, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, Hands up - I was an Olympic sceptic. But the London games soon became compulsive viewing for Qm and Co. I still have little regard for Coe, I thought the opening ceremony was mainly bollocks and the closing one little better - hugely dissappointed that, whilst the 'thousands of volunteers' got praised at every possible opportunity, the 14000 or so military helpers who were 'volunteered' barely got a look in. I was hoping as many of them as possible would have been marched in to occupy one on the Union Flag segments and then been let loose to start a massive shagfest with all the athletic totty on parade. I digress.

One of the television pundits let slip that it was only a short while now until the Football season starts again in earnest. How can the country now be expected to put up with the amateur dramatics that that bunch of over blown, over paid, dross prima donnas are going to treat the nation's armchair sportsfolk to? Just imagine if one of them were to get a smack in the chops like the skipper of the GB Ladies Hockey Team did, for example? I just hope that some of the players and their dreadful coaches and management teams have learnt some idea of what pride is, what humility is and what proper sportsmanship is all about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'd have to disagree with you on the opening and closing ceremonies, I thought both were brilliant, colourful, imaginative and frankly stunning. Lord Coe has already thanked the armed forces for their contribution:-
    Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | Lord Coe and General Richards thank Armed Forces for Olympics effort

However I agree totally with you on football in the UK. What we saw in the Olympics was great effort and true sportmanship from all competitors (well apart from those caught taking steriods). What we get from our club and international football teams is whinging, over-inflated salaries, blatent cheating and piss poor performance on and off the pitch. I used to be a fan of football and regularly attended matches, now I can't be bothered with the on pitch antics and attitude of crowd, most of whom seem to know nothing about the game and are just there to hate the opposition rather than support their team. As the GB football team were loosing to S. Korea in the Olympics it was saddening to hear the cat calls and whistles from the crowd when the Koreans took their penalties which was in sharp contrast to the support athletes from all nations got from 80,000 spectators at the Olympic Stadium.

3. Regarding the football, I couldn't agree more. For many years now my interest in the sport has waned because of the attitude of the highly paid professional footballers. They just don't seem to give a **** about anyone else, not the referees, not other players and most important of all, not the fans.

As a Forest fan I almost worship Stuart Pearce. He may not have been the most skillfull of players but there was no questioning his pride, passion and committment, both for Forest and when he played for England. Sadly that has not translated to the GB squad from what I saw. (And it's certainly lacking in the England senior squad, too)

The thing that irked me about the GB team was when the Welsh players refused to sing the national anthem. I don't know what their motivation was or what point they were trying to make but they are British citizens, representing Great Britain in one of the highest profile of worldwide sporting events, yet they refused to sing the British (UK) national anthem. It's not the English anthem, we don't have one, but is that what they thought? I know footballers aren't renowned for being the sharpest tools in the box, but that distinction of anthems should be obvious to even the slowest of thinkers. Giggs may have been an outstanding player over the years but his attitude stinks and the same goes for the others who refused to sing the anthem on some sort of principle. If they don't see themselves as British they should have fucked off and not worn the shirt.

I don't think I'll be able to call myself a football fan for much longer. My support for Forest is really only now because it's been an almost 40 year habit, but as for other football teams I'm just not interested in them and I certainly couldn't give a **** about the England national side. Give me cricket & RU any day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bollocks its all shit!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

5. I didn't watch any GB Olympic football after the first match, in which 'we' were predictably mediocre. The footballers seemed out of place at the Olympics, the only one who seemed to 'get it' wasn't selected- a decision which might have held water had the team done well. It didn't, had never seemed likely to, the omission meant the team had less popular support than it would otherwise have done and was, in short, a shame.

The main thing which set the footballers apart was their lack of joy. They came across as a paradoxical mix of self-important and under-achieving, quite surprising as they were not all Premiership big shots, although maybe it was those who dictated the mood. I welcomed the non-singing of the National Anthem by some of their number- it is the country which would be the poorer for their association with it.

As for the new season, I don't think the example set by some Olympians will make a lasting impression. Football does have beautiful moments and the relationship has too many years to be threatened by a summer fling. As long as there's the massive amount of cash washing around football it isn't going to change, so to all those with Sky subscriptions lamenting the way things have gone, look to thine self.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Olympic football, what a waste of oxygen, its hard enough to get excited about the national squad and along come a bunch of overpaid wannabees. Stuart Pierce no doubt has his hands tied by the FA but he is without a doubt a good manager and there are few clubs who would do better than him. Sky and premiership? yes another waste of our money!

7. Agreed that football doesn’t really have a place at the Olympics. With regards to football in general the game could learn from cricket in that only the captain can talk to the referee and the FA could make more use of technology to help the match officials. The attitude of the players and coaching staff needs to the tackled robustly, particularly assimilation (or cheating as most would call it) and swearing at and arguing with the officials, both of these should be a straight red card offence. Maybe if we saw better behaviour on the pitch the so called fans would learn a bit more about sportsmanship I might be tempted to go back to a football stadium and even take my sons. The last match I attended was Leeds vs Ipswich in 2007 and the attitude of the Leeds fans was appalling, relegation is a bitter pill to swallow but the resulting pitch invasion and aggression shown to the away fans was totally unacceptable, as was the lack of punishment from the FA to Leeds.

8. The soldiers got sent to do their job and where paid for the pleasure ( and thanked extensively). The volunteers erm volunteered (the clue being in the name ^~), where unpaid and many used their holidays to do it and deserve the thanks that they got.

As for football, that's one of the problems with capitalism, you can't pick and choose which part of the market economy gets to thrive and what particular part of society benifts, supply & demand you see ^~

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It was all shit though