Assistance request from Military Historians with knowledge of WW2

I hope it is okay to post in this chat. I apologise if this approach is not acceptable. Please delete if this is the wrong forum or inappropriate.

I am researching a relative of mine and his medals - he was a recipient of the Africa Star which we have in possession but we have no paperwork to tell us whether he would have been awarded the clasp 1st Army or 8th Army or indeed whether the medal was awarded as it is. I know that I can apply for his military record - I have done this for others in the past - but the waiting list for answers is just so long at the moment - nearly 2 years ago I submitted applications for one relative and I am still waiting.

He attested on 12 Nov 1928 to join the Royal Tank Corps in Canterbury. By August 1939 he was a Saddler Corporal in the 9th Queens Lancers and in 1940 he is with the Royal Dragoons as a saddler Corporal. On 1 March 1943 he joined the REME and remained in the Army after the war until at least 1948 when he served in Palestine.

I have established that shortly after the outbreak of the Second World War the Royal Dragoons became a mechanised unit joining the Royal Armoured Corps in 1940. It served as an armoured reconnaissance regiment in Syria (1941) and North Africa, where it fought in the Gazala battles and at El Alamein in 1942. It then took part in the Sicily and Italian campaigns in 1943.
Can anyone tell me if this means he was likely to be part of the 1st Army or the 8th Army please?

I would be very grateful for any insight anyone can give me.

Best regards,
M.G.

What are his service details, particularly post-WWII?

If he served in Palestine he should appear on the Medal Roll for the GSM with clasp 'PALESTINE 1945-48'.

What are his service details, particularly post-WWII?

If he served in Palestine he should appear on the Medal Roll for the GSM with clasp 'PALESTINE 1945-48'.
I have his GSM and he is on the Medal Roll for the Palestine Clasp after WW2. I also have this clasp but its an Africa Star clasp that I seem to be missing. I can supply his full name and service number if you think this will help to resolve the Africa Star clasp issue?

I have his GSM and he is on the Medal Roll for the Palestine Clasp after WW2. I also have this clasp but its an Africa Star clasp that I seem to be missing. I can supply his full name and service number if you think this will help to resolve the Africa Star clasp issue?

Then you need to chivvy up the MoD:

A 2 year wait for a response is ridiculous notwithstanding Covid WFH policy: indeed, medal collecting friends are saying that response times are almost back to pre-lockdown times.

. . . and that is the only source of information for 'modern' medals.

Anything else will be educated guess work.

For your information I have just received this reply from MOD:
"As a consequence of the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic and direction from the Scottish Government, the department was unable to function properly for an extended period lasting many months. The files necessary to process the vast majority of genealogical requests are only held in paper format and have not been accessible during this period.

A significant backlog of work has built up during the lockdown period as postal applications continued to be sent to the office. Regrettably these unprecedented circumstances mean that applications sent in the last year or so may not yet have been actioned or even opened. Additional staffing resources have been identified and are being utilised."

Nevertheless I will submit an application for his record but unsure how long it will take in view of the above response.
Thanks again

Maddening!
I requested my Service Records within a few years of leaving many years ago. Took them over 18 months and many requests until I phoned and asked what the problem was - had them within 6 weeks.

Should British Army bureaucracy be subject to the hands of a recalcitrant 'Scottish Government'?

I want to spy for mi Dad's Records - why should it even take so long?