Assistance on .22 rifle selection

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by drain_sniffer, Nov 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all. Bit of a story but keep with it as there is a point to this. My son has taken a shine to shooting. We have joined a local club and go on Sat afternoons for a bit of a try out on a few weapon types but it seems he has a bit of skill with .22 rifles. He is autistic and has become a bit fixated with the whole thing but the club are very professional and keep him grounded. My question is, what rifle would you suggest is a good alrounder, if there is such a thing, and what sort of price range am I looking at.

Many thanks

2. Get him a decent single shot, It'll teach him marksmanship, and conservation of ammunition.

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Club standard rifle is a ruger semi-auto. It depends on condition but I bought mine second hand for about £150 - it's a bit of an old dog but good for plinking. Have a look at guntrader.co.uk. The alternative is to go for a more target-orientated rifle and you can get some good, albeit old fashioned ones, for sub-£100.

4. Yep, Ruger 10/22 is the one to go for. Get the fiddly open holding catch replaced and you're away. Cheap ammo as well.

5. In semi auto, a Ruger 10/22

In bolt action, a CZ.

Lots around at cheap money, a dealer will almost certainly have a selection of new and second hand ones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ruger 10/22's were great. Unfortunately they're verboten over here so I'm happy with a Win94.

7. For real?

8. Rifle nr.8 in my opinion. Semi autos teach bad habits as far as I am concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Semi-automatic long arms are banned in Australia. They were the subject of a very generous buy-back program. One fortunate chap allegedly bought a job lot of armalite and SLR barrels and actions as scrap and became very wealthy overnight as they were classed as firearms under the new legislation so the government had to buy them at full whack. And yes, I'm happy with a Win94.

10. Depends on what sort of shooting he wants to do. Gallery needs a semi really, purist target a single-shot Anschutz with a sling, is he going to use it for bunnybashing as well in which case you want probably a bolt-action with a magazine.

11. I dont plan on any hunting, purely target shooting. He has used both semi auto and a single shot but prefers the semi auto

12. We all prefered the semi auto at that age, but thank christ my father was a tight fisted old bugger, and only lashed out for a bolt action, and then withheld the mag until I'd learned to hit what I was shooting at.

Not that having the mag made a great difference in my rate of fire, as I shoot left handed, and the rifle was a righthander.

13. My local gun dealer has around fifty CZ rifles of one kind or another, and half a dozen older single-shot.

I learnt to shoot with a novel rifle bought by my dad in 1930 - a Walther Model 1A Sport. It is a semi-auto ABD a bolt action, depending on whether or not you turn down the bolt handle. First I learnt to shoot as a single-shot b/a, then as a five-shot b/a, than then when I was about ten and earning a couple of monies doing chores, I graduated to the semi-auto.

I still have the rifle, but no longer have the ould da. He packed up and left the firing point forever back in 1971.

I agree with the [other] old buggers here - having a semi-auto is great fun, but it does not instil you with that pressing need to make each shot count.

tac

14. If he's just doing targets, he wants a target rifle. Semis aren't really for that purpose. Can't he use club guns for now?

BTW, when you say he's autistic, to what extent? Is his doctor likely to endorse his being granted a Firearm Certificate (I assume he's over 14)? It might be wise to have a chat with the doctor before putting in the application, to avoid the disappointment if he is turned down on those grounds.

Even if it presented an obstacle, the club may be willing to hold a rifle for him as 'their' but for his exclusive use - a chat with the officials there would probably yield some useful advice and possibly they will know where a suitable weapon might be got.

15. BSA Martini-action target rifles are extremely cheap - the auctions are full of them. They are excellent target rifles, and often are available as a complete kit with sling, sight elements, accessories, etc.

• Like Like x 3