Assistance in identifying brass naval type button.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by tiffy-guns, Oct 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help with the identity of the button below? While obviously Naval, and probably of British or Commonwealth origin, (judging by the Kings crown), I can not find an exact match anywhere. The nearest have the fouled anchor, as well as the crown, inside the garter. This one is brass, 25mm dia, and manufactured by G Varcoe & son of London. It was found by a work colleague in his garden in the Chippenham area. Any and all assistance gratefully received.

Possibly Coastguard?

I realise this would be better in the Navy Net, but I'm trying here as the level of knowledge seems to be very wide ranging.

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Tempted to say Flag Officer's button but I think the wreath ought to include the crown as well. The crown itself is a 'King' crown, therefore 1901-1953. Try the RN Museum or Gieves and Hawkes.
  3. It's not a Petty Officer's button, then?

Just wondering because it's quite similar to the cap badge: [​IMG]
  4. Might be a Chief Petty Officer button but I'm not sure that their buttons differ from those of a Petty Officer - both are classed as senior ratings.

Could it be a Warrant Officer's button?
  5. After a quick check in my wardrobe :D , all SRs buttons are the same, for PO , Chief and( I think) WO. Modern SRs buttons are similar to the picture but without the laurel wreath.
    This of course makes sense, as it allows a local acting chief to be rated up without the need to change every button on his suit.
  6. I was just wondering if it could be the Royal Yacht Service?

I could imagine THEY would have special buttons to distinguish themselves from the OTHERS.

My GDad was in RYS 1921-38 (CPO). Unfortunately I don't have any clear pictures to prove my point.
  7. Possibly a Fleet CPO (an old school RN WO) or a commissioned Gunner?
  8. I contacted the British Button Society who kindly agreed to research the button for me. This is their response:

So it's merchant navy; Trinder, Anderson & Co, who worked out of Western Austalia on the emigrant trade. Some further background from teh National Maritime Museum here (they appear to hold the company's records from 1900 onwards):
  9. Thanks Dragstrip, and all others who replied. I have passed the info to my work colleague, who was very impressed and appreciative.

Thanks all.
  10. Hmmmm. I wonder if your friend has just skimmed the top of a shallow grave.

You should mention it to him, seeing as tomorrow's Hallowe'en. ;)