Assistance in identifying brass naval type button.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by tiffy-guns, Oct 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help with the identity of the button below? While obviously Naval, and probably of British or Commonwealth origin, (judging by the Kings crown), I can not find an exact match anywhere. The nearest have the fouled anchor, as well as the crown, inside the garter. This one is brass, 25mm dia, and manufactured by G Varcoe & son of London. It was found by a work colleague in his garden in the Chippenham area. Any and all assistance gratefully received.

Possibly Coastguard?

I realise this would be better in the Navy Net, but I'm trying here as the level of knowledge seems to be very wide ranging.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Tempted to say Flag Officer's button but I think the wreath ought to include the crown as well. The crown itself is a 'King' crown, therefore 1901-1953. Try the RN Museum or Gieves and Hawkes.

3. It's not a Petty Officer's button, then?

Just wondering because it's quite similar to the cap badge: [​IMG]

4. Might be a Chief Petty Officer button but I'm not sure that their buttons differ from those of a Petty Officer - both are classed as senior ratings.

Could it be a Warrant Officer's button?

5. After a quick check in my wardrobe :D , all SRs buttons are the same, for PO , Chief and( I think) WO. Modern SRs buttons are similar to the picture but without the laurel wreath.
    This of course makes sense, as it allows a local acting chief to be rated up without the need to change every button on his suit.

6. I was just wondering if it could be the Royal Yacht Service?

I could imagine THEY would have special buttons to distinguish themselves from the OTHERS.

My GDad was in RYS 1921-38 (CPO). Unfortunately I don't have any clear pictures to prove my point.

7. Possibly a Fleet CPO (an old school RN WO) or a commissioned Gunner?

8. I contacted the British Button Society who kindly agreed to research the button for me. This is their response:

So it's merchant navy; Trinder, Anderson & Co, who worked out of Western Austalia on the emigrant trade. Some further background from teh National Maritime Museum here (they appear to hold the company's records from 1900 onwards):

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/archive/catalogue/record.cfm?ID=TAN

9. Thanks Dragstrip, and all others who replied. I have passed the info to my work colleague, who was very impressed and appreciative.

Thanks all.

10. Hmmmm. I wonder if your friend has just skimmed the top of a shallow grave.

You should mention it to him, seeing as tomorrow's Hallowe'en. ;)