Assistance for US Veteran Lliving in the UK- Now Sorted

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by oldbaldy, Oct 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I am trying to assist a former US Army Airforce & USAF Veteran who is now living in the UK.
    Now aged in his 80s he has various medical conditions & needs assistance in the home.
    He is tapped into the US Military hospital system but needs some help over and above that to assist him bathing etc.
    Do the US Forces have the equivalent of SSAFA, Royal British Legion or RAF Benevolent Fund that I can either tap into or him him & his wife in touch with?
    Cheers.

2. Assuming is qualifies for US veterans assistance (if he has access to base hospitals etc he probably does)

Contact the Office of Veterans Affairs at RAF Lakenheath or RAF Mildenhall they will be able to tell you exactly what he is entitled to. You will need his service number, and poss a VA reference number as well.

If he is in the system he must be attending Lakenheath anyway? As far as i know its the only USAF Hospital still in the UK? (could be wrong, been out of USAF since 98 )

Hope this helps

3. OldBaldy,

Just out of interest , does he have any RAF service, or has it been purely USAAF/USAF?

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

No PTP. He was USAAF & then USAF.
    If he had RAF service it would have been easy :(
    Hence the query. I have feelers out in a number of places (official & unofficial) & hopefully I will be able to sort something out for them.

Yes Jonny they are registered at Mildenhall, quite why the Vets on the base haven't caught them I do not know at present. There again I do not know the US system with Vets.

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I have found that the USAF do indeed have a charity for their serving & ex-service members, The Airforce Aid Society:
    http://www.afas.org/index.cfm

6. Oldbaldy

Glad to hear it, i am ex USAF and ex UK Army.

The US normally look after their vets extreemly well, hope he gets everything he needs.

Good time of year to apply for aid as well, with Nov 11 comming up, i would say that 90% of the people who in US vet affairs are either ex vets themselves, or had family that were.....they will look after thier own.

John