Assessment of Military Character

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by Sheergrace, Mar 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, am new here. I would very much appreciate sensible replies to my concern, please.

I applied for a transfer to another corps last year. I got a reply from Glasgow refusing my application on the ground that I was "not competitive..." . This left me wondering, because I met (at least so I thought) all the requirements for transferring to that Corps.

Happily, I made a photocopy of the reply from Glasgow and I have just noticed that on the AF B241 that my MILITARY CHARACTER is put down as VERY GOOD as opposed to EXEMPLARY which was a major requirement for transfer.

My opinion is that I might have been wrongly assessed, as I strongly believe that my military character should be EXEMPLARY and not very good because QR Para 9.457 lists the parameters for arriving at the relevant assessment. I have reproduced below the relevant parts.

a. Exemplary. To be eligible for an assessment of ‘Exemplary' a soldier must have:
    (1) No awards of imprisonment (including a suspended sentence), youth custody or detention in a young
    offenders institution, or other form of detention in a civilian institution.
    (2) No awards of detention (including a suspended sentence) or field punishment.
    (3) No reduction in substantive rank on disciplinary grounds.
    (4) No case of desertion in which trial has been dispensed with.
    (5) No award of dismissal, or dismissal with disgrace, or where any of the offences of which he has been found
    guilty by a court involves misconduct of a nature expressed in para 9.404e.
    (6) No award of military or civil fines or community sentences, recorded as a ‘Regimental Entry'.

b. Very Good. To be eligible for an assessment of ‘Very Good' a soldier must have:
    (1) No awards of imprisonment (including a suspended sentence), youth custody or detention in a young
    offenders institution, or other form of detention in a civilian institution.
    (2) No awards, in total of all awards, of detention (including a suspended sentence) or field punishment of more
    than 14 days.
    (3) No reduction in substantive rank on disciplinary grounds.
    (4) No case of desertion in which trial has been dispensed with.
    (5) No award of dismissal, or dismissal with disgrace, or where any of the offences of which he has been found
    guilty by a court involves misconduct of a nature expressed in para 9.404e.
    (6) No more than two separate awards of military or civil fines or community sentences, recorded as a ‘Regimental
    Entry'.

I do intend to take this up with my CoC, but I thought it might be helpful to get some advice/opinions first. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. 'Not competitive' = Army speak for '******'. Try pulling your socks up.

3. "This soldier is so amazingly competitive I want him to transfer out of my beloved corps"

Your CoC like you and want you to stick around to be their brew bitch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jesus tonight. Even I'm confused. What was the original question?

5. Cheers ears. I don't actually care, but let it know it has nothing to do with their discipline record, just whether they've been a right nobhead, which I suspect is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheers for your answers. I am not a nobhead, contrary to your suspicion, I was only looking for a second opinion to be sure am on track as to my thoughts on the reason why my transfer was declined. I do apologize for the lengthy post.

7. Speak to your RAO then instead of asking random losers on a random internet site who don't actually care.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Not competitive? this might be in the context that there are other applicants for the same post(s) against whom you do not measure up in either academic or previous reporting standards, just a thought, with no disrespect intended, you simply might not be the best applicant.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drain_sniffer, I think you got it wrong, maybe due to the length of the post. Its got nothing to do with Glasgow, but discoveries I made on my AF B241 after it had been returned to my unit from Glasgow. I think I mite have been wrongly assessed and am only guessing that that might have weighed in on the decision. I only quoted the relevant part of the QRs because its referred on the AF B241 and genuinely thought it would help in understanding the issues I raised in my initial post. Thanks

10. Thanks so much. Point taken.

11. A bird? lol
    Yeah a mate recommended this site just to double-check my assumptions,thanks once again

12. While I would agree that if you've been very good, you should have been graded as "Exemplary", you show evidence of lack of attention to detail. It's SOLDIER'S CONDUCT, not MILITARY CHARACTER.

Or, at least, it is in the 12/05 revision, as currently available on ArmyNet.

13. Yes please, that will be much appreciated.

14. I think that sums up your post quite nicely............

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)