Assembly to probe "kill soldiers" claim

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KevinB, Feb 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Assembly to probe "kill soldiers" claim

by Martin McGuinness that he wanted to kill every British soldier in Londonderry in the immediate aftermath of Bloody Sunday are to be probed by Assembly chiefs.

DUP for south Antrim, Rev William McCrea, has called in the Assembly for an investigation into whether the Stormont Deputy First Minister had breached his pledge of office when he made the comments in an Irish radio interview.

The South Antrim MP told Assembly Speaker William Hay: "I'd ask you to rule and investigate the appropriateness of these comments in the light of the pledge of office the Deputy First Minister has taken, supposedly respecting the rule of law, the courts and the police.

"Surely these statements were totally inappropriate and therefore would at least be regarded as inflammatory, if not incitement?

"Therefore we need to have an investigation indeed into whether Mr McGuinness carried out any murders of the security forces in light of this statement."

A total of 13 people attending a civil rights march in the Bogside area of Londonderry in 1972 were shot dead by paratroopers. A 14th died later from his injuries.

The event is regarded as a seminal moment in Northern Ireland's Troubles and has been the subject of the longest public inquiry in UK legal history, the Saville Tribunal, which so far has run up a bill of £181.2 million.

In an interview broadcast on RTE on Saturday with the former footballer turned journalist Eamonn Dunphy, the Derry born and raised Sinn Fein MP said the killings hardened attitudes considerably.

"There is no doubt whatsoever that in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday there was a renewed determination to oppose the British army and the RUC," the Mid Ulster MP said.

"If I had had the ability to kill every single British soldier that was on the streets of Derry I would have killed every single one of them without any difficulty whatsoever."

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

.....and your point is........?

3. Any link or...? :)

4. Thanks, Rancid.

No point really, as I doubt there will ever be an investigation etc.
    McGuinness would say - was how I understandably felt at the time, never acted on it, feel differently now, blah, blah, blah.

Just interesting, especially for those of us from NI and/or who served there.