Assault Vests

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by dannyboyrude, Nov 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm TA at the mo - have been for three years (looking to go reg soon), and as much fun as I've had with my webbing, I've finally gotten fed up with it. I'm thinking of buying an assault vest of some description, but given it's a (relatively) hefty investment, I want to get the most value for money I can. Trouble is, there's a fair few on the market, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any comments/suggestions on the kit that's currently available.

Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Anything from Arktis is the dogs love spuds. Webtex have improved recently if you don't want to re-mortgage your house to buy a decent rig!

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The Web tex vest is good.The only thing i dont like is the 2 large kidney pouches wont hold the issue water bottle & mug.
    Spike

4. Have sold webtex kit on ebay in the past, great for walting and cadets but not IRR. Latest version has larger utility pouches but Thatchreed will no longer supply me as i do not have a "proper" retail outlet. Currently have Arktis and Rangemaster kit and am in contact with main manufacturer to obtain genuine issue assault vests to sell for under £90

5. msr

msr LE

Assault vests were being issued on TELIC6, so hang in there, you may get a 'free' one sooner than you think.

msr

6. Call me cynical, but 'free' is a term I've come to mis-trust when in an army-style context... Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm betting it was only infantry types or tankies who got the gucci kit.

Does anyone know anyone who owns/has seen/has been in the same room as one of these Arktis Sigma Battlevests? I saw a £185 price tag on that badboy and was wondering if it comes with gold-plated mess tins and a diamond-encrusted water bottle. In short - is it any good?

7. If you want a decent vest that dosen't break the piggy bank try Jay Jay's in Brecon. Custom made for about two thirds of the price of Arkis etc. He will add pouchs move them around add clips fastex buckles etc for a very resonable rate. He designed a 'Provost' vest for the RMP/MPS lads on telic that included quickcuff and batton pouchs. Excellent quality kit.

8. Surely if you had of placed this topic in the Kit section of the site you would of reached a larger audience, thus improving your feedback?

9. You can get arktis ones on ebay for around 60!!!!!!

10. Have a sigma vest to sell at the moment, good quality but really OTT on the pockets and pouches, have found the marine hybrid to be a better vest but to be honest you can't go wrong with the issue vest.

11. They were indeed, but we found that the issue vests didn't hold the A2 mags very well at all. If I could have justified spending the money on my own vest I would have done so (but I didn't because I'm tight arsed).

12. I've just left Telic (in an NSE position)and we issued to all troops in theatre as an individual issue and recommended that the role is expanded has it is so cheap.
    Also in the pipeline the 95 jacket is being replaced with a 95 smock at no extra cost to the firm.

Away the lads happy lad don’t sign off

13. we got them issued on op telic 5 (I'm not in the inf or tankies). I thought it was fine for my use as driver and top cover. Holding all the kit I needed. But that wasn't much, being vehicle based and only needing to carry 4 mags.

14. I've just left Telic (in an NSE position)and we issued to all troops in theatre as an individual issue and recommended that the role is expanded has it is so cheap.
    Also in the pipeline the 95 jacket is being replaced with a 95 smock at no extra cost to the firm.

Away the lads happy lad don’t sign off

15. I've currently got the issue one and it's a great all round vest, everythings where it should be and easy to get to and really you can't go wrong with it and compared to other vests, it's possibly the cheapest considering Artkis (who are possibly the best makers of smocks, webbing ect) average at 180 to 190 squid....

Hmmm webtex, wouldn't trust it out on Ops....it's cheaper for a reason, plus it's not IRR as has been already said....

If you've got dosh like, try Artkis and get one custom made, but you'll find the Issue vest to suit your needs when you require them, by that I mean wearing them in the field when your on your belt buckles is not ideal and the issue waist webbing is better. But for Iraq and places where you'll be in and out of vehicles it's great....

All depends on your role, LSW Gunners beware as some vests only have space for 4 mags.....