Assault pioneers Reserves.

Hi all,

I'm still a recruit with a reserve infantry unit, I've yet to still go through basic, so I'll apologize now if this is a stupid question.

Ive been asked (regularly) what role/trade I'd like to go for once I complete basic, is it really that simple? I pass out of basic and ask to go on a recce Cadre, Can someone shed more light on what happens please?

Question 2
I'm an experienced arborist (tree surgeon) in my civvie life, will my skillset be welcomed in the Assault Pioneer platoon, will I be bringing something to the table with my background?

Hard, honest views and opinions welcomed.
Thanks.

I'm sure your section Corporal or Platoon Sergeant will be on hand to guide you once you complete your basic training.

Using a chainsaw is one very small part of being an assault pioneer.

You'll likely be the only one in the AP Plt who'll be qualified to use the chainsaws......

15 reserve infantry pioneer platoons in theory
15 reserve infantry guns platoons in theory
15 reserve infantry mortar platoons in theory
15 anti panzer platoons in theory

In reality training budgets reflect core support platoons.

It all comes down to value for money training…and your training directives.

Pioneer training is at Gib barracks, not to be confused with basic engineering
that’s the role of the ever in demand field troops/ sqns of the RE

I'm sure your section Corporal or Platoon Sergeant will be on hand to guide you once you complete your basic training.

Using a chainsaw is one very small part of being an assault pioneer.
We had an Assault Pioneer Pl in 2CG. Booby traps, field demolition, and blasting hard ground for defence works were their tasks. In a rifle company, the only times I ever got to make stuff go bang was on my section commanders and my search team course, just enough to know how to.
Can you get yourself on a field engineering / field demolitions course? (Doing that BEFORE you give any hint of getting out would be sensible)

You're being asked to go on a Recce cadre just after basic?

My background is Infantry, frankly I think you'd struggle to have anything like the soldering skills required of a Recce bloke, even a Reservist one.

Pioneer Platoon can be great fun; you get taught how to Blow Shit Up which is always awesome.

There are various modules for the basic qualification (I may be out of date) such as demolitions, and field defenses (properly constructing trenches and other shelters, obstacles such as barbed wire.)

You're being asked to go on a Recce cadre just after basic?

My background is Infantry, frankly I think you'd struggle to have anything like the soldering skills required of a Recce bloke, even a Reservist one.

Pioneer Platoon can be great fun; you get taught how to Blow Shit Up which is always awesome.

There are various modules for the basic qualification (I may be out of date) such as demolitions, and field defenses (properly constructing trenches and other shelters, obstacles such as barbed wire.)
Sorry mate no I don't mean that I am being asked to go on a recce Cadre straight after basic. I mean that's how easy they are making it sound, that I can finish basic and just choose a job role.
And thank you for the insight, appreciate it

Latest Threads