assault engineer

I'm planning to join the Army and become a Combat assault engineer however I am confused as to how I apply for the role as it says I have to be a member of the army already. If I did join would it come under phase 2 training or would I have to apply after already doing the full training course as an infantryman?

You have to join the Royal Engineers first....you do your ohase one training, then you do your combat engineering phase 2a....then you do your phase 2b which is your trade training

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pioneer corp, grave diggers and general cannon fodder.
Engineers were described as Chunkies when I was in...We weren't kicked into touch. I haven't heard the term 'Combat assault engineer' - I think its used in other armies and WW2 ;ie 77AES used to be Assault Engineers squadron.

Engineers were described as Chunkies when I was in...We weren't kicked into touch. I haven't heard the term 'Combat assault engineer' - I think its used in other armies and WW2 ;ie 77AES used to be Assault Engineers squadron.
I never heard that terminology used to describe us gods. As far as I know the pioneer corp had assault pioneers, us gods taught them all the tricks of improvised combat engineering etc. I think they were binned after Saddam round 1, I may not be correct here though, as I have not used the power of google.

I never heard that terminology used to describe us gods. As far as I know the pioneer corp had assault pioneers, us gods taught them all the tricks of improvised combat engineering etc. I think they were binned after Saddam round 1, I may not be correct here though, as I have not used the power of google.
I think you are right about the pioneers - I met a few on my B3 and they were nice blokes/thick as a Bridgelayer. I was called chunkie as some kind of derogatory term...Didnt make sense then or now.

The pioneers of the RLC arent infantry tho are they? You have to join the RLC to become a pioneer, the way he asks the question sounds like he wants to join the infantry then become a pioneer.

I think you are right about the pioneers - I met a few on my B3 and they were nice blokes/thick as a Bridgelayer. I was called chunkie as some kind of derogatory term...Didnt make sense then or now.
I believe the term "chunkies" was in reference to their thickness, if a chunkie called a sapper a chunky, I suppose that proves the point of how thick they were.

You have to join the Royal Engineers first....you do your ohase one training, then you do your combat engineering phase 2a....then you do your phase 2b which is your trade training

no either (the more likely scenario) I'm wrong or you guys are wrong because on the british army website in the rolefinder it says there is a role called the combat assault engineer which you can only become if you're part of the infantry or the RAC

Well up until I left (2004) Combat Engineer was the RE term, Assault Engineer (AE) the Royal Marine term and, IIRC, Assault Pioneer the infantry capbadge equivalent.
Combat Pioneer I think, was the term for the RLC remnant of the Royal Pioneer Corps that weren't strictly rear ech.
Only heard of Pioneers being called 'chunkies'.

from what I can gather from the army's website the pioneers were replaced by assault pioneers aka assault engineers which are taken through phase 2 at the school of engineers however they're still infantry

Well up until I left (2004) Combat Engineer was the RE term, Assault Engineer (AE) the Royal Marine term and, IIRC, Assault Pioneer the infantry capbadge equivalent.
Combat Pioneer I think, was the term for the RLC remnant of the Royal Pioneer Corps that weren't strictly rear ech.
Only heard of Pioneers being called 'chunkies'.
Aye the infantry regiments used to have an assault pioneer platoon, don't know if that's the case these days, and yes, I only ever heard the pioneers get called chunkies.

The OP is referring to infantry pioneer platoons found in support companies of light role infantry battalions.

OP if you join the infantry there is no guarantee that this role will be open to you. You will go where your battalion needs manpower.

RLC Pioneers were only disbanded about 2 years ago although the writing was on the wall from 2010.

Does any regiment have assult pioneers ? Bit confused on how it works im going 5 Rifles will i be able to go assult pioneer from there?