Assault Course. Alternative for inter squad competitions.

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by BuggerAll, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have just learnt (or been reminded) that cadets are not allowed to compete on assault courses.

I had been considering an element of competition on a Cadet 150 open day. Clearly that can't go ahead.

I could of course run with the assault course as a demonstration but just wondered if anyone has come up with a legitimate way of dealing with this restriction.

For the complete avoidance of confusion I'm not asking if anyone knows how I can get get away with breaking the rules - I could work that out for myself if I was inclined to - I want to stay within the letter and the spirit of the rules.
  2. Just set them off next to each other, but tell them it's not a competition.

They're cadets, put side by side on an obstacle course and they'll always compete! But you've done your bit.
  3. Let each team go over individually but time it and whoever gets the best time wins..... seemples :)
  4. you must've missed the bit that said "I'm not asking if anyone knows how I can get get away with breaking the rules"...

squaded run? log/stretcher run, doesnt have to be heavy, just something to make it more interesting....

i assume it has to be phys?
  5. BuggerAll

I did think about a variation on the gun run, but I suspect it may come a cropper at the risk assessment stage.

Another thought is to have a weapons stripping and assembly relay race with very light obstacles. I may have to negotiate with the TSA over what kind of obstacles they could compete on.
  6. Ever tried a "tactical" approach to all obstacles? Send scouts over each obstacle to secure the far side, send next bods over and set up 'all round defense' then silent move out to next obstacle, all controlled by field signals etc.

Did it a Pirbright as a Crow in the early 80's. Worked for us. Just not designed to be fun though :( :(
    :D :D :D

Time it and get a sense of urgency on, maybe some pyro and obviously some 'battle inoculation' overhead fire :D :D
  7. BuggerAll

I like - I like a lot. Pyro etc very difficult with Cadets and a civ audience but the over all idea is definitely something to think about. Make the DS work harder as well!
  8. Give them points for good technique. points for buddy buddy. Points off for errors in landing or not hand to hand on ropes, Each exercise has a score of 10 points. 1 point per person over the obstacle correctly. The amount that rush and dont land correctly or cant get over 6 Ft wall as an idividual. All these types of things. Extra points for swinging through on Monkey bars rather than bar to bar. The only thing is to make sure that all the instructors sing off the same score sheet, and the exercises get demonstrated correctly. I agree its a bit annoying that there is no speed involved but they can still compete without missing out.
  9. BuggerAll

I'll have to run that by the 'elfin safe tea Nazis' but I suspect it will break the word of the law - 'no competing on the assault course' if not the spirit. If there is any leeway I'd be happy to do a risk assessment - if the 18 year old me could see what has become of the middle aged me he would despair - elfin safe tea, risk assessments, I despair...