Assange seeks asylum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Plant-Pilot, Jun 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reports are popping up that Assange is seeking asylum and is in the protection of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London. Do innocent people jump bail and seek political asylum when they are only extradited for questioning on a criminal matter? I mean, Sweden of all places! Not exactly a hotbed of torture is it? So why the drama?

Unless of course he's guilty of the sexual assault charges.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Well jumping bail is one way of pissing off your friends and puts more than a little doubt on your innocence as to the assault charges. More to the point, jumping bail and seeking asylum means that he is will more than likely end up in Ecuador, and if he thought he was not safe from the CIA in Sweden, he's a sitting target in Ecuador.

3. True enough. Cost the UK taxpayer a fortune on appeal after appeal, and when it all looks like it's not going your way, jump bail and leave.

If he had won the first hearing, that would have been that and he would be shouting how the court had proved his 'innocence'.

4. Embassy of Ecuador in London » Statement on Julian Assange

A brief statement from the Embassy.

I had to smile at this bit:-

"The decision to consider Mr Assange’s application for protective asylum should in no way be interpreted as the Government of Ecuador interfering in the judicial processes of either the United Kingdom or Sweden."

Because it obviously is!

5. This twerp put him up for a year Vaughan Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    at this place Ellingham Hall, Norfolk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smith's father was a Queen's Messenger and a colonel in the Grenadier Guards.[1] Smith was an officer in the same regiment, serving in Northern Ireland, Cyprus and Germany. Smith captained the Army shooting team[1] and won the inter-army rifle shooting championship. Prior to setting up Frontline News TV, he was briefly a microlight test pilot

But he did kick him out after a year.

6. Why can't the CO's provide a "completely and totally love it" button.

I hope all the loveys who posted money lose it.

7. The other strange thing is Assange's choice of place to flee to. Considering his crusade for free speech and freedom of informaton, why would he choose to go to the country with the most oppressed media in S America?

ecuador - Google Search

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nobody else drew inference from the timing of the allegation of "rape" then?

I think he should be locked up for the data dump he did, ignoring the personal security of the ground-level individuals he was revealing information about. Apparently the US don't have the laws to prosecute a foreign national for this?

9. He really is the total package, he cares not one witt about those supporters, the accusations or his victims. Its me, me, me all the way. Here,s a tip Julian, man up and face your accusers, this has nothing to do with the USA, they would of had you trussed up like a turkey if they so wished.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

He hasn't fled anywhere. He's written to them to discuss the possibility of political asylum.

Probably worth standing down Dog the bounty hunter in the meantime.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Julian Assange granted bail: live updates | News | guardian.co.uk

see 4:21pm

Mark Stephens, Assange's lawyer, said Assange could be in custody for several days until the £200,000 is security is raised.

Stephens added that a total of £1m in sureties had been pledged to support Assange's bail application.

Vaughn Smith, one of the people offering security, is the founder of the FrontLine club in west London. Once he is released, Assange will stay at Smith's estate, Ellingham Hall, in Suffolk, and report to a nearby police station at Bungay every evening

2.57pm: Sarah Saunders, a restaurant designer and friend of Assange, signs document offering £150,000 as surety, writes Vikram Dodd. She says it is almost all the money she has.

2.46pm: Vaughan Smith, from the Frontline club, has been put forward as someone offering surety

"Bianca Jagger sitting as probable surety next to Helena Kennedy

1.26pm: My colleague Vikram Dodd managed to catch a word with the film director Ken Loach before he went into the court.

Loach said he would provide surety of £20,000 for Assange and added that at least six or seven other people would do the same. He said Assange deserved to be released today. "If there is any justice, he must do," he said

Should that be £s? All the celebs last week, including Jemima Khan, John Pilger and Ken Loach were offering £20,000.

12. Fixed your typo for you.

• Like Like x 2
  13. You're shitting me? Asylum from Sweden? thats like being terrified of day old Kittens.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Can we start a book on which of Assange's celebrity supporters will be the first to say he skipped bail because he couldn't get justice in the UK and isn't the UK justice system a disgrace.

I'd give it less than two days...

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 2