Assange about to do a bunk...

Poppy

LE
Just a random thought.. how can Assange be convicted of an American crime if he didn't do it in America? Surely it would be a Swedish crime if he did his hacking from there?
it's where the server is as far as I know

Just a random thought.. how can Assange be convicted of an American crime if he didn't do it in America? Surely it would be a Swedish crime if he did his hacking from there?
The same we in the UK can prosecute a nonce for going to Thailand to nonce.

That's different. That's the British government prosecuting British citizens, not the American government prosecuting a Swedish citizen who has committed what they deem a crime in a foreign country.

He visited Sweden but was never granted citizenship. There are reports that he may have been granted Ecuadorian citizenship while in the London Embassy and that Ecuador late revoked that citizenship.

He is a citizen of Australia. He apparently has children from women in Australia and France.

Awol

LE
He visited Sweden but was never granted citizenship. There are reports that he may have been granted Ecuadorian citizenship while in the London Embassy and that Ecuador late revoked that citizenship.

He is a citizen of Australia. He apparently has children from women in Australia and France.
But he certainly isn't American, so what is the rationale behind him being prosecuted by the Americans because of something he did in another country.

Technically it's akin to the CIA chasing me down for burning Old Glory in distant Wiltshire.

I think the legal position is that he is alleged to have committed a crime in the US, he just was't physically there.

I guess that the boundaries or jurisdiction of any nations laws are its borders, whether the perpetrator is actually there or somewhere else. So for two countries with an extradition treaty, and depending on the act, I guess someone could be guilty of a crime in two countries, posting a parcel bomb to another country for example (let's assume it gets through) and kills the intended target would seem like a crime has been committed in both countries. Perhaps in cases like this the two related legal systems just decide between them who should try the bomber.

But he certainly isn't American, so what is the rationale behind him being prosecuted by the Americans because of something he did in another country.

Technically it's akin to the CIA chasing me down for burning Old Glory in distant Wiltshire.
No, because in your example the action took place entirely in the UK, perhaps the CIA might chase you down but it would not be by an extradition request, possibly a visit from a couple of agents with Novichok or the like.

Julian's dad is demanding that he be given bail, “Bail ought to be given immediately if the extradition order isn’t dropped". He's a card isn't he? Looks like he said that with a straight face.

I would like to ask him if he wants to put up the bail money out of his own funds....

I'm sure that there has to be one or two who hang around The Old Vic, Theatre Royal, etc who'd be happy to pony up.

Again.

*snigger*

I'm sure that there has to be one or two who hang around The Old Vic, Theatre Royal, etc who'd be happy to pony up.

Again.

*snigger*
Well he might not live long enough to get to bail from what the great and the good are saying. Mind you this dying swan act has been going on for a little while now so let's no hold our breath. Him and supporters have been on an eight year whinge fest, the like of which has never been seen before.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

I believe that the rationale is that he participated in the theft of classified data from US computers.
If I were to hack into the UK computers of GCHQ or SIS from my home in Massachusetts and disseminate that information I strongly believe that Her Majesty's government might seek to prosecute me and it is likely that the US would cheerfully send me off to the UK to face a judicial resolution of the matter.

If I were to hack into the British treasury and transfer millions to my untraceable Bitcoin account I suspect the UK would have a similar sense of humour failure.

The US government is unlikely to deploy assassins.
Of course individuals with compromising information on members of the Clinton family might be surprised to find themselves committing suicide.

Awol

LE
I believe that the rationale is that he participated in the theft of classified data from US computers.
If I were to hack into the UK computers of GCHQ or SIS from my home in Massachusetts and disseminate that information I strongly believe that Her Majesty's government might seek to prosecute me and it is likely that the US would cheerfully send me off to the UK to face a judicial resolution of the matter.

If I were to hack into the British treasury and transfer millions to my untraceable Bitcoin account I suspect the UK would have a similar sense of humour failure.

The US government is unlikely to deploy assassins.
Of course individuals with compromising information on members of the Clinton family might be surprised to find themselves committing suicide.
I take your point, but I would have thought that you'd have to have been apprehended by the sovereign police force in the sovereign territory concerned.

A few years ago a UK employee of mine stole a UK registered minibus from me in France and drove it back to the UK. I reported it to the UK police and their response was that as the crime was initiated in France, I'd have to report it to the French police as (they said) UK police had no jurisdiction in the matter.

Poppy

LE
I take your point, but I would have thought that you'd have to have been apprehended by the sovereign police force in the sovereign territory concerned.

A few years ago a UK employee of mine stole a UK registered minibus from me in France and drove it back to the UK. I reported it to the UK police and their response was that as the crime was initiated in France, I'd have to report it to the French police as (they said) UK police had no jurisdiction in the matter.
I hope you put an official complaint in - if you and the suspect are both English I would have thought they could deal - with an ILOR to France for any evidence there of course

Partly I imagine due to a unilateral agreement signed with the US by one Tony Blair

Latest Threads