Assange about to do a bunk...

That sounds awfully, horribly, terribly rapey to me.

What an incredibly sound sleeper!

Like I say Not in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland for now. I'll modify my view and say that this could quite possibly be the new definition of rape in the UK in the next 5-10 years. Your yes buttery merely hastens that advent. In my view.

In the meanwhile Sweden is suffering an epidemic of actual coercive sex. You know - the old definition of rape. The kind that rarely involves condoms and the victims are not asleep but aware and awake. Horrible crime.

A horrible crime and not just 'buyers remorse'.

See the difference?

I'd appreciate your comments on the Swedish Rape epidemic and compare and contrast them with what Assange was charged with. 'Was' being the operative word. Past tense. Those charges were dropped in 2017. Why do you think they were? Assange wasn't going anywhere? I attribute it to a sense of Swedish National embarrassment. I'd appreciate your view.

I will not condemn Assange over the Swedish nonsense.

He needs to be jailed in the UK for jumping bail. When it goes to court I'd punt he's going to get 3 -12 months porridge. Is that fair enough with you?

I fully expect him to be extradited to the US. He should swing for the Bradley Manning episode. Manning didn't so he won't.

What do you think was his worst crime?

Having a root without a rubber or giving Bradley a megaphone?

`
So because other people do worse things he shouldn’t have to answer for his alleged crimes?

Give your head a wobble.

With any luck your head dobber will fall off and you won’t be able to post any more shite on here.

Assange as blood on his hands - there was no need to hurt the 'little people' just so he could strut on the world stage.

I personally will have no problems should be be locked up for the rest of his life. Power should be used responsibly, not to boost your ego.

Wordsmith
"His behaviour is that of a narcissist who cannot get beyond his own selfish interests."

Like I say Not in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland for now. I'll modify my view and say that this could quite possibly be the new definition of rape in the UK in the next 5-10 years. Your yes buttery merely hastens that advent. In my view.

In the meanwhile Sweden is suffering an epidemic of actual coercive sex. You know - the old definition of rape. The kind that rarely involves condoms and the victims are not asleep but aware and awake. Horrible crime.

See the difference?

I'd appreciate your comments on the Swedish Rape epidemic and compare and contrast them with what Assange was charged with. 'Was' being the operative word. Past tense. Those charges were dropped in 2017. Why do you think they were? Assange wasn't going anywhere? I attribute it to a sense of Swedish National embarrassment. I'd appreciate your view.

He needs to be jailed in the UK for jumping bail. When it goes to court I'd punt he's going to get 3 -12 months porridge. Is that fair enough with you?

I fully expect him to be extradited to the US. He should swing for the Bradley Manning episode. Manning didn't so he won't.

`
I'm not making any judgement on Assange - the courts can do that. But my gut tells me not to allow him within 100 miles of any of my family.

Your ideas of "rape" need to be brought in to the 21st century.

Thee is a role for whistle blowing in a democracy. A good example of that was the UK expenses scandal, where MP's would have continued taking the p!ss out of their expenses and Joe Public would have remained blissfully unaware.

But leaks need to be proportionate. If Assange was going to behave responsibly, he should have used the minimum number of cables to make his point and redacted all information that could have identified blameless individuals (such as translators working for coalition forces).

Instead Assange dumped 750,000 unredacted cables into the public domain, indicating that his aim was not to correct wrongdoing by the US government but to cause maximum damage to that government - the cables must have been a treasure trove of information for the US's enemies such as Russia and China.

In addition, the cables identified individuals such as translators and US informants, some at least will have been killed as a consequence. Assange as blood on his hands - there was no need to hurt the 'little people'just so he could strut on the world stage.

I personally will have no problems should be be locked up for the rest of his life. Power should be used responsibly, not to boost your ego.

Wordsmith
I see your point re whistleblowers.

However, many years in R SIGNALS and many more years in government telecom work mean that I am unable to overlook the fact that he published hundreds of thousands of classified messages.

It does not matter one iota what the content of the messages was. It could have been routine demands for toilet paper and pencils, but SECRET means SECRET.

ZNY SSSSS means only for transmission over appropriately protected means.

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

However, many years in R SIGNALS and many more years in government telecom work mean that I am unable to overlook the fact that he published hundreds of thousands of classified messages.

It does not matter one iota what the content of the messages was. It could have been routine demands for toilet paper and pencils, but SECRET means SECRET.

While I don't disagree with you in principle, I enter Exhibit A, the Pentagon Papers into evidence (my bold).

Pentagon Papers - Wikipedia
The Pentagon Papers, officially titled Report of the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force, is a United States Department of Defense history of the United States' political and military involvement in Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. The papers were released by Daniel Ellsberg, who had worked on the study; they were first brought to the attention of the public on the front page of The New York Times in 1971. A 1996 article in The New York Times said that the Pentagon Papers had demonstrated, among other things, that the Johnson Administration "systematically lied, not only to the public but also to Congress".
That leak of secret papers showed that the US government was systematically lying to the legislature. As such, there may be - on occasion - grounds for selective leaking of secret papers.

Wordsmith

Thee is a role for whistle blowing in a democracy. A good example of that was the UK expenses scandal, where MP's would have continued taking the p!ss out of their expenses and Joe Public would have remained blissfully unaware.

But leaks need to be proportionate. If Assange was going to behave responsibly, he should have used the minimum number of cables to make his point and redacted all information that could have identified blameless individuals (such as translators working for coalition forces).

Instead Assange dumped 750,000 unredacted cables into the public domain, indicating that his aim was not to correct wrongdoing by the US government but to cause maximum damage to that government - the cables must have been a treasure trove of information for the US's enemies such as Russia and China.

In addition, the cables identified individuals such as translators and US informants, some at least will have been killed as a consequence. Assange as blood on his hands - there was no need to hurt the 'little people'just so he could strut on the world stage.

Wordsmith
If ******* like him managed to hack into and reveal the government secrets of Russia, China, Iran, N Korea, Venezuela - it would be proportionate.
But no, it is the democracies these tossers attack.
Soft option 'heroes'.

Fair's fair. The Swedish rape charges are an utter joke.

Assange potted a bird sans condom.

The next night he potted her friend - Again sans condom.

Friends compare notes a week later - In Sweden that's rape!

Assange - Possible sex pest, yes. Rapist in any other jurisdiction. No

Sweden has learnt a lot about rape in the seven years that JA jailed himself in the Ecuadorian embassy.

Assange needs locking up simply for giving Bradley Manning airtime. I'm all for that. Assange is a useless idiot.

Assange's behavior back in 2011 wouldn't warrant rape charges in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland - now or ever.

They wouldn't rate a charge of rape in Stockholm these days either.

They've got bigger fish to fry.

Plenty of fish. Many many fish...
No, well wrong. If sex is consensual with a condom, then the moment it is taken off (unknowingly for the woman) it becomes rape. In England certainly. Having sex with some one who is so drunk consent is meaningless, that is rape too.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
No, well wrong. If sex is consensual with a condom, then the moment it is taken off (unknowingly for the woman) it becomes rape. In England certainly. Having sex with some one who is so drunk consent is meaningless, that is rape too.

Yep - I've always applied the 'next morning' test. If the girl is so drunk that she'll wake up next morning thinking sleeping with you wasn't consensual, don't do it.

If she wants to sleep with you, you can always arrange round 2....

Wordsmith

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

Wordsmith
Except your stating bollix, Wormshit!. There's not one single shred of proof that any of those named in the documents were ever harmed by the Taleban. A certain Colonel Carr maintained that he knew of at least one person who had been killed, but his "one person" (as was later established) was not named anywhere in the documents.

What the Septics want more than anything else is petty revenge for Wikileaks having shown them up and made the world aware that they were covering up wartime atrocities by killing innocent folks and then boasting about it, in addition to blatantly lying to the US public about their true imperialistic intentions in the Middle East.

In your last paragraph, you state: "Power should be used responsibly, not to boost your ego". Do you know of any politician to whom that might apply?

MsG

Edited to add: McCain: Manning, WikiLeaks led to Taliban murders

When considering Assange's extradition case in 2011, the English court specifically considered whether the alleged facts (consent, condom etc) would amount to an offence under the UK Sexual Offences Act 2003, and concluded that they would.

I reckon US won't execute him because...

He'll just be not heard of much and, in fifteen years be "relesed" having undergone a sex change operation...a fate worse than death for some.

he looked camp as feck to me last PR releses..just begging for it. Same as that bradley chap...
Wouldn't be a very convincing sex change. Assange has a beard.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Good point, well presented.
You always know when you've got under Bugsy's skin when he starts using puns on your username.

Give the well known propensity for the more extreme members of the religion of peace to behead people they regard as enemies, and given the abundant photo and video evidence out there in t'interweb that they do just that, could it be that Bugsy is talking Bollox by selective quoting of sources?

Wordsmith

When considering Assange's extradition case in 2011, the English court specifically considered whether the alleged facts (consent, condom etc) would amount to an offence under the UK Sexual Offences Act 2003, and concluded that they would.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
You always know when you've got under Bugsy's skin when he starts using puns on your username.

Give the well known propensity for the more extreme members of the religion of peace to behead people they regard as enemies, and given the abundant photo and video evidence out there in t'interweb that they do just that, could it be that Bugsy is talking Bollox by selective quoting of sources?

Wordsmith
Ah, I see. Your usual tactic of frantically clutching at straws when you don't have a leg to stand on. I stated that there's not a single shred of evidence that any of those named in the Wikileak documents were ever harmed. You've now spent quite a time frantically scouring the internet looking for proof of the opposite. And you've found nothing. So I was right and you were wrong. That's a bit of a bummer, innit?:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MsG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ah, I see. Your usual tactic of frantically clutching at straws when you don't have a leg to stand on. I stated that there's not a single shred of evidence that any of those named in the Wikileak documents were ever harmed. You've now spent quite a time frantically scouring the internet looking for proof of the opposite. And you've found nothing. So I was right and you were wrong. That's a bit of a bummer, innit?:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MsG
Well it's good to know Bugsy was at the closed part of the hearing the details of which are sealed to make such a bold claim, well that or he's lying, place your bets.

See the difference?

`
Assange was pretty much unheard of in Sweden until he upset the yanks. He’s still nowhere near as well known there as he is here.

Sweden has bigger issues to contend with.

Can’t remember the exact details but, I remember reading Swedish media a few years ago and the “victims” didn’t exactly sound entirely honourable.

AROFLEX NOT USED ;