Assange about to do a bunk...

Earlier today I saw a rather neurotic-looking Duchess of Beaufort, no less, singing our man's praises (despite his having cost her a few bob when he jumped bail, the cad) and telling us all that we must regard dear Julian as "a hero"; indeed, going by her language and demeanour, any run-of-the-mill VC winner would be a poltroon by comparison. Reassuring evidence, were any needed, that bonkers eccentricity (to put it charitably) is still to be found, alive and well, in the upper reaches of the British aristocracy.

I reckon US won't execute him because...

He'll just be not heard of much and, in fifteen years be "relesed" having undergone a sex change operation...a fate worse than death for some.

he looked camp as feck to me last PR releses..just begging for it. Same as that bradley chap...

Earlier today I saw a rather neurotic-looking Duchess of Beaufort, no less, singing our man's praises (despite his having cost her a few bob when he jumped bail, the cad) and telling us all that we must regard dear Julian as "a hero"; indeed, going by her language and demeanour, any run-of-the-mill VC winner would be a poltroon by comparison. Reassuring evidence, were any needed, that bonkers eccentricity (to put it charitably) is still to be found, alive and well, in the upper reaches of the British aristocracy.
After spending time on ARRSE it is obvious that it extends much further in society than the aristocracy.

Fair's fair. The Swedish rape charges are an utter joke.

Assange potted a bird sans condom.

The next night he potted her friend - Again sans condom.

Friends compare notes a week later - In Sweden that's rape!

Assange - Possible sex pest, yes. Rapist in any other jurisdiction. No

Sweden has learnt a lot about rape in the seven years that JA jailed himself in the Ecuadorian embassy.

Assange needs locking up simply for giving Bradley Manning airtime. I'm all for that. Assange is a useless idiot.

Assange's behavior back in 2011 wouldn't warrant rape charges in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland - now or ever.

They wouldn't rate a charge of rape in Stockholm these days either.

They've got bigger fish to fry.

Plenty of fish. Many many fish...
He 'potted' the two birds on the basis that he would wear a condom. He then 'potted' them bareback, as I believe it is known. You may call that breach of promise, or carelessness, but Sweden calls it rape. Why should Sweden's rape laws mirror any other country's? They are, after all, a sovereign country. Perhaps they feel guilty for all that Viking stuff.

I reckon US won't execute him because...

He'll just be not heard of much and, in fifteen years be "relesed" having undergone a sex change operation...a fate worse than death for some.

he looked camp as feck to me last PR releses..just begging for it. Same as that bradley chap...
That and the fact that the offence they want to charge him with carries a max 5yr term.

Fair's fair. The Swedish rape charges are an utter joke.

Assange potted a bird sans condom.

The next night he potted her friend - Again sans condom.

Friends compare notes a week later - In Sweden that's rape!

Assange - Possible sex pest, yes. Rapist in any other jurisdiction. No

Sweden has learnt a lot about rape in the seven years that JA jailed himself in the Ecuadorian embassy.

Assange needs locking up simply for giving Bradley Manning airtime. I'm all for that. Assange is a useless idiot.

Assange's behavior back in 2011 wouldn't warrant rape charges in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland - now or ever.

They wouldn't rate a charge of rape in Stockholm these days either.

They've got bigger fish to fry.

Plenty of fish. Many many fish...
Assange was charged with rape, in the Swedish EAW, due to accusations that he:

1. had sex without a functional condom when only sex with a condom had been consented to.
2. had sex with a sleeping woman, who was unable to give consent.

The UK High Court, in reviewing the EAW, agreed that, under those conditions, the EAW correctly described an act of rape.

109. On this approach, then intentional penetration achieved by coercion or where consent is lacking to the knowledge of the defendant would be considered to be rape. In our view on this basis, what was described in the EAW was rape.
See Assange v Swedish Prosecution Authority [2011] EWHC 2849 (Admin) (02 November 2011)

chippymick

On ROPS
On ROPs
Assange was charged with rape, in the Swedish EAW, due to accusations that he:

1. had sex without a functional condom when only sex with a condom had been consented to.
2. had sex with a sleeping woman, who was unable to give consent.

The UK High Court, in reviewing the EAW, agreed that, under those conditions, the EAW correctly described an act of rape.

See Assange v Swedish Prosecution Authority [2011] EWHC 2849 (Admin) (02 November 2011)
That sounds awfully, horribly, terribly rapey to me.

What an incredibly sound sleeper!

Like I say Not in Brisbane, Manchester, Los Angeles, Johannesburg or Auckland for now. I'll modify my view and say that this could quite possibly be the new definition of rape in the UK in the next 5-10 years. Your yes buttery merely hastens that advent. In my view.

In the meanwhile Sweden is suffering an epidemic of actual coercive sex. You know - the old definition of rape. The kind that rarely involves condoms and the victims are not asleep but aware and awake. Horrible crime.

A horrible crime and not just 'buyers remorse'.

See the difference?

I'd appreciate your comments on the Swedish Rape epidemic and compare and contrast them with what Assange was charged with. 'Was' being the operative word. Past tense. Those charges were dropped in 2017. Why do you think they were? Assange wasn't going anywhere? I attribute it to a sense of Swedish National embarrassment. I'd appreciate your view.

I will not condemn Assange over the Swedish nonsense.

He needs to be jailed in the UK for jumping bail. When it goes to court I'd punt he's going to get 3 -12 months porridge. Is that fair enough with you?

I fully expect him to be extradited to the US. He should swing for the Bradley Manning episode. Manning didn't so he won't.

What do you think was his worst crime?

Having a root without a rubber or giving Bradley a megaphone?

`

Last edited:
That and the fact that the offence they want to charge him with carries a max 5yr term.
More correctly, the offense we want to extradite him on only carries a 5 year term. DoJ is not looking to over-complicate the extradition. Just one serious charge, keep the process simple.

The other truckload of charges he will be slammed with on arrival in the US may attract rather more punitive sentences, however. Just as long as we don't execute him, it will be fine.

The bit that makes me incredulous is his "I told you so" stance with reference to the US extradition request after the Met lifted him. If I go and throw a brick through a shop window, and some time later the cops come and arrest me, I'm hardly in a position to say "I told you so" to anyone. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

35 years of it. Snigger.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
More correctly, the offense we want to extradite him on only carries a 5 year term. DoJ is not looking to over-complicate the extradition. Just one serious charge, keep the process simple.

The other truckload of charges he will be slammed with on arrival in the US may attract rather more punitive sentences, however. Just as long as we don't execute him, it will be fine.
Which I suspect is the Septic game plan. Extradite him on a single, easy to prove change then clobber him with everything in the arsenal when he's safely in the US.

I suspect both the UK and US will say (with a completely straight face) "We were only originally considering the one charge..."

Poor old Julian. Once he was a somebody. Now, as he heads for a lifetime of incarceration in the US, he's on the verge of becoming an obscure pub quiz question:

"Which founder of Wikileaks is currently imprisoned in the US".

[Whispered] "I know that - it's that Judith Assange".

Wordsmith

chippymick

On ROPS
On ROPs
Which I suspect is the Septic game plan. Extradite him on a single, easy to prove change then clobber him with everything in the arsenal when he's safely in the US.

I suspect both the UK and US will say (with a completely straight face) "We were only originally considering the one charge..."

Poor old Julian. Once he was a somebody. Now, as he heads for a lifetime of incarceration in the US, he's on the verge of becoming an obscure pub quiz question:

"Which founder of Wikileaks is currently imprisoned in the US".

[Whispered] "I know that - it's that Judith Assange".

Wordsmith

I'll put this prediction out now.

Assange does 3 months in the UK Prison system for jumping bail.

Sweden does nothing regarding reinstating the rape nonsense.

He's extradited to the US.

He's tied up in the US legal system for two years. Get's no jail time.

The process is the punishment?

Poor old Julian. Once he was a somebody. Now, after self imprisoning himself for seven years in the Ecuadorian Embassy he might become an obscure pub quiz question.

Of this sort.

"Which accused Ananda Marga terrorist became an Academic at Sydney Uni?"

Three years from now Julian will be probably be on a decent wedge lecturing journalism classes at the University of Sydney. Or Macquarie or Monash. ANU would die to have him. QU have dropped their standards enormously. They would have a bid in. Believe me. There will be an auction and JA will be the winner.

Academia. The last refuge of the scoundrel.

Mark my words. 4 years max.

Mark my words. 4 years max.
Bet you a dollar he gets AT LEAST the same sentence as Manning did, after he's charged with the rest of the offenses. 35 years.

Just typing that out makes me smile :)

In all seriousness, Manning is incarcerated again at present, and I can see Julian the slug dropping Manning right in it when it comes his turn to testify - to save his own rotten hide - which could see Manning back in the cells for another few decades.
Really?

I always thought those brave souls who are wedded to the rights of Free Speech and unfettered journalism would stand four-square and face down the brickbats of those narrow souls who would deny their inalienable rights together?

Oh, the humanity.

chippymick

On ROPS
On ROPs
If drink was involved, then a distinct possibility that she was semi-comatose.
Your mileage might vary from mine.

It is important to note that Obama never gave Bradley Manning a Presidential Pardon. He just commuted the sentence. 35 years down to the 7 already served. Same as it turns out that JA has already done,

Why did Obama do that?

Anyways.

JA has done his seven.

Three from now he will be farting through silk.

Take it to the bank.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Bet you a dollar he gets AT LEAST the same sentence as Manning did, after he's charged with the rest of the offenses. 35 years.

Just typing that out makes me smile :)
Thee is a role for whistle blowing in a democracy. A good example of that was the UK expenses scandal, where MP's would have continued taking the p!ss out of their expenses and Joe Public would have remained blissfully unaware.

But leaks need to be proportionate. If Assange was going to behave responsibly, he should have used the minimum number of cables to make his point and redacted all information that could have identified blameless individuals (such as translators working for coalition forces).

Instead Assange dumped 750,000 unredacted cables into the public domain, indicating that his aim was not to correct wrongdoing by the US government but to cause maximum damage to that government - the cables must have been a treasure trove of information for the US's enemies such as Russia and China.

In addition, the cables identified individuals such as translators and US informants, some at least will have been killed as a consequence. Assange as blood on his hands - there was no need to hurt the 'little people'just so he could strut on the world stage.

I personally will have no problems should be be locked up for the rest of his life. Power should be used responsibly, not to boost your ego.

Wordsmith