Aspiring to work with vehicles

Hi everybody,

Short background, I work a 9-5 job at a desk as a distributor for parts for tail lifts. I was previously doing the same job in filtration. I enjoy working on my Morris Minor and helping anybody out with cars. I keep tools in the back to help anybody on the side of the road. I'm a tinkerer, very interested in anything that moves. Bicycles, cyclemotors, cars, vans, trucks, planes, ever just decorative steam engines.

The problem I have is that I want to do more. I don't particularly enjoy the prospect of not having a purpose. I want to DO.
I've spoken and thought about joining the army for a short while on and off. For that reason, I reckon joining the reserves would be the ideal start.
From what research I've done, REME seems to be the place to go for people like me.

Based in Hull, I see that the Scunthorpe barracks house 146 Company, 102 Battalion REME.
I'm not sure what this means, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track here!

So I'm just looking for some advice here really. Reserves in barracks 20 miles away for a relevant unit a good idea? Would a local barracks offer what I'm looking for too? Am I missing anything?

Cheers

This is exactly what you are looking for.
This unit while based in Scunthorpe and Rotherham also have a section in Hull. You will have to do your basic build up training in Scunthorpe, as a recruit. Once you have completed your Alpha and Bravo courses you can continue your training on a drill night in Hull.
You’ll just have to go to Scunthorpe or Rotherham for weekends.
Google them and give the recruiters a shout. They’re very helpful and will square you away

You could also look at the reserves for both the Royal Navy and RAF, both may give you the opportunity to tinker.

Within the Army the REME does give you a lot of opportunity for mechanical engineering on everything and anything - equipment, weapons, wheeled vehicles, tracked vehicles and helicopters.

Fortunately you will find a great deal of experience and advice on here. There are pros and cons to each trade.

There are other Corps and trades in the British Army that you may wish to consider - The RLC has Marine Engineer, The Royal Engineers fitter and Plant Operator Mechanic (POM).

I’m sure there are things that I have missed, but the Army is very good at breaking things so will always need someone to fix them.

Based in Hull

I'm sorry

I see that the Scunthorpe barracks house 146 Company, 102 Battalion REME.
I'm not sure what this means, but I'm hoping I'm on the right track here!

So I'm just looking for some advice here really. Reserves in barracks 20 miles away for a relevant unit a good idea? Would a local barracks offer what I'm looking for too? Am I missing anything?

Give them a phone call and arrange to visit them, they will probably (COVID notwithstanding) have an open evening once a month. You can get your questions answered and get a feel for the "personality" of the unit.

It's not really about distance in miles but distance in time. You will need to get there one evening a week in good time to begin the evening's training and then get home again afterwards, and probably once a month get there on a Friday evening and home again on Sunday. If that's an easy 20 miles on A roads then brilliant, but if it's a massive pain the the backside then go for a closer unit. Is there a unit closer to you?

I'm sorry

Give them a phone call and arrange to visit them, they will probably (COVID notwithstanding) have an open evening once a month. You can get your questions answered and get a feel for the "personality" of the unit.

It's not really about distance in miles but distance in time. You will need to get there one evening a week in good time to begin the evening's training and then get home again afterwards, and probably once a month get there on a Friday evening and home again on Sunday. If that's an easy 20 miles on A roads then brilliant, but if it's a massive pain the the backside then go for a closer unit. Is there a unit closer to you?
Thanks Bob - Thankfully I'm actually West of Hull, in Swanland, but I still hit that area!

My closest barracks is Calvert Lane, which is arguably a bigger pain to get to, even if it's just 1 mile away. Scunthorpe is a motorway and a few A roads. Longer, more expensive, but both an escape and not a bad drive. Theoretically - I haven't done this yet of course!

This is exactly what you are looking for.
This unit while based in Scunthorpe and Rotherham also have a section in Hull. You will have to do your basic build up training in Scunthorpe, as a recruit. Once you have completed your Alpha and Bravo courses you can continue your training on a drill night in Hull.
You’ll just have to go to Scunthorpe or Rotherham for weekends.
Google them and give the recruiters a shout. They’re very helpful and will square you away

I appreciate the positive advice there, Papa (Which will be an odd name to call you, going forward!).

Now I know I'm in the right direction, the next best thing to do would be to make contact!

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
There's an RLC squadron based in Hull, too. Whilst probably not as in depth as REME, routine servicing is done in-house and they're always gasping for reservists to carry out the bigger services that often get left to the permanent staff.

May be worth a gander!

Thanks Bob - Thankfully I'm actually West of Hull, in Swanland, but I still hit that area!

My closest barracks is Calvert Lane, which is arguably a bigger pain to get to, even if it's just 1 mile away. Scunthorpe is a motorway and a few A roads. Longer, more expensive, but both an escape and not a bad drive. Theoretically - I haven't done this yet of course!

I appreciate the positive advice there, Papa (Which will be an odd name to call you, going forward!).

Now I know I'm in the right direction, the next best thing to do would be to make contact!
You can claim travel expenses to get from home to Scunthorpe. Once you’ve passed Bravo, then you’ll be paid Home to Duty travel expenses when you attend

There's an RLC squadron based in Hull, too. Whilst probably not as in depth as REME, routine servicing is done in-house and they're always gasping for reservists to carry out the bigger services that often get left to the permanent staff.

May be worth a gander!
You can claim travel expenses to get from home to Scunthorpe. Once you’ve passed Bravo, then you’ll be paid Home to Duty travel expenses when you attend

Thanks for the info, Papa, and the stellar suggestion Hohenidoom! I'll have a look at both and get in touch.

What a set of helpful chaps!

Rooper

War Hero
Why only when you’ve passed Bravo? They should be paying HDT as soon as you’re attested.

Prior to that there’s a scheme to pay candidates discretionary HDT so there’s no reason to be out of pocket at all.

Why only when you’ve passed Bravo? They should be paying HDT as soon as you’re attested.

Prior to that there’s a scheme to pay candidates discretionary HDT so there’s no reason to be out of pocket at all.
It's definitely worth knowing about. Thankfully, for the benefits of joining, I wouldn't be fussed about paying travel anyway - I was expecting to.

There isn't a reason. He wouldn't be out of pocket. Put me on a weeks ROPs for missing details, I'm ill with flu

Latest Threads