Aspergers Syndrome recruit?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by dickie_out_and_about, Nov 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need someone to give me the chapter and verse on this;
    I have left the forces and work as a Residential Child Care Officer at a school for children with Social, Emotional and Behavioural difficulties. One of the year 11 pupils has Aspergers Syndrome which is a form of autism.
    He wants to join the Army as a bandsman.
    I'm 99.9% certain he can't join due to his condition (think Forrest Gump with a bad attitude and violent tendencies and that sums him up).
    What I need is the black and white saying people with such a condition can't join up.
    Can anyone help?

p.s. He also wants to do the 'look at life' course in Ripon. Is this also a non-starter?

2. Ill try and find it in the new PULHHEEMS 2007 pamphlet on monday for you.

Like you, Im sure its a non-starter, unfortunately

3. would it be covered by mental health disorders? surely there should be something in PULHHEEMS.

4. You could always advise him of to get around this red tape.

5. Right, as you say Aspergers is a form of Autism. The AFCO Form 5, Application to Serve in the Armed Forces Guidance Notes, lists in it's Basic Medical Conditions - Unsuitable Conditions:

"Psychiatric disorders: Ongoing pyschiatric illness. Psychosois. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self harm of any type. Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol or substance dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptons and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia."

It also states:

"Please note that Armed Forces CAs and their office staff are not medically qualified and that all final decisions regarding medical suitablity for entry are made by centre selection staff."

So ask at the AFCO / ACIO and let the Medical Staff do their bit - but be prepared for a negative answer - anything else will be a bonus!

6. Has he considered the RGJ?Sorry couldnt resist. :wink:

7. Its clearly a no brainer. Show him the form and then tell him how to apply if you think he would be suitable.