Asperger/Autism/ASD within the Forces

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jimnicebutdim, Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I'm posting this thread to try and find out some information relevant to members of the services with any form Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

I was recently told that I probably have Asperger Syndrome by a civvy doc, and the SMO is trying to sort out a full diagnosis at present. I know of one other bloke who also has AS in the RAF, but I was wondering if there were more? If so how many (is it more common than I realised)?

Is there any thing I need to be wary of if I recieve a diagnosis (ie Security Clearances, MedCat changes, etc) and is there any organisations that I can turn to for advice?

many thanks
    Jim

2. Asperger's can be very similar to acute autism or it can be barely noticeable. Symptoms in adults can include depression or schizophrenia, so it's something that has to be dealt with. What happens to you is obviously down to the individual severity and your job. Try the link below for further information on the condition.

Aspergers.com

3. Cheers BZ, in reality I can't see any issues as i've been in 8 years before it was even picked up (and only as a result of my son being diagnosed). I haven't changed, but I'm worried the mob's outlook on me will.

4. The diagnosis of all these spectrum disorders is well dodgy, and once you've been labelled they'll see the evidence for the diagnosis everywhere.

Look at the recent edition of Horizon - the experts, with days of observation and contrived challenges, still couldn't pick out those who (supposedly) had issues.

5. Jim,

Agreed with gobby idiot and bravozulu, it's a spectrum disorder covering a LOT of bases. Some people argue now that all males are mildly autistic and a bit Asperger's.

A lot of people have this 'disorder' and it's undiagnosed and they lead perfectly happy lives. Your story about finding out through your son is one of the commonest I've seen and heard where dads just click and say, 'oh, I used to do that.'

I don't know much about Asperger's in terms of help and support outside of a paediatric context but all I can say to you is don't let yourself be labelled by this 'diagnosis' and you don't have to fulfil the prophecy.

Anyway, hope it all goes well!

6. Being completely serious, I know loads of guys who show classic signs of Aspergers and ADHD and many of them have managed to do very well indeed. Just fight through and use self-management techniques to keep you on track. You don't need to be defined by terms that psychologists make up to justify their own existence.

7. At least if all the live rounds were dropped on the floor you could count them quick smart. Do you count cards?

8. Just to echo what others have said from a clinical point of view, many people display mildly autistic or AS type symptoms and it's on a very broad spectrum. The National Autistic Society is another good source of info and/or advice.

9. *Pendent hat on* Actually most psychologists who work with clients treat on a symptom basis, rather than using labels. One of the guys who appeared on the Horizon program, mentioned above, argues labels are no-more scientific than star signs - which makes his appearance on the show ironic anyway. *Hat off*
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. It's thought that most of the officers in the armed forces have some form of asbergers. It takes many different forms and can be almost invisible and thus undiagnosed.

11. My son has higher functioning Aspergers.
    Aspergers is a specific form of ASD and, if you have had it for a while without noticing, then you will get along fine and the mob shouldnt bother you at all. My lad is what they call "a classic" and displays all the traits associated with Aspergers

I recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0099456761/?tag=armrumser-21

to anyone who has any association with Aspergers and can give you a real understanding of what life with Aspergers can be like. I also recommend getting in contact with the Autistic Society who are very helpfull

12. Challenging, living with Asperger's, eh? But living with any condition, conveniently labelled, as some of us will be, is probably just up to us. Coping skills, awareness, and getting informed support, all help. It's not acceptable any more to discriminate, either. We are not necessarily exactly what our label means, nor would we do everything that the diagnosis says we will do, mate. We are individuals and and it's up to us to manage with what we've been given. Apparently, "Asperger's" gives people a lot of positive attributes that others would love to have. So crack on and good luck mate.

13. As being recently diagnosed through my son I seem to have coped quite well in my reg/ta career however my marriage has gone down the tubes. People with aspergers/autism seem to cope with military life quite well as it is organised and regulated. Its only when you have to think "outside of the box" problems may arise but by the time you reach mid 20's you have adapted and can cope with everyday situations as they arise.
    Drainsniffer is the guru on this subject and can give you some good pointers.
    Put it this way if you've coped so far you have nothing to worry about