Asking the impossible

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Unknown_Quantity, Sep 29, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Does anyone know of a factual book about the buildup, battle and aftermath of Colloden that does not over romanticise the clansmans plight and is too rabidly anti-English. To find a book that is unbiased would be nice but the only texts I've found on the battle were all written by Scots, for Scots...

And if anyone is ever nearby, the museum there is worth a visit.
  2. U-Q

Try 'Battles of the '45' It was one of the Pan British Battles series of about thirty years ago and written before people got all misty-eyed about those poor clansmen.

Not sure I can remember the authors but, for some reason, Katherine Thomason and Francis Buist springs to mind.

Hope that helps.
  3. Was at the battlefield listening to some dick from the White Cockade Society retelling the battle. He didn't like it when I pointed out that there were more Scots on the Government side of the battlefield than on the Jacobite side.
  4. Unknown_Quantity

There were a good extra thousand Scots by the English lines after the grapeshot, volleys and bayonet work had done their job!

Sartorius, thanks for that, I'll look into it.
  5. And all led by a FAT GERMAN BASTARD.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

But as long as he's killin' Jocks, I wouldnt care if he was Welsh!
  7. I've found a book on the shelf called Culloden and the '45 by Jeremy Black published in 1990. Dunno if its the sought your after as I havent read it.

It says on the inside of the sleeve "This new, informative and absorbing study of the Jacobites and the momentous events leading upto the '45 rebbelion.............." so might be of some help then. There's no ISBN number anywhere on the book but it does have CN 4722 on it if thats of any use, probably not. Its published by Guild Publishing.
  8. Unknown, try the 'search field' at for those authors that Sartorious mentions.
    Also, a must have on this subject is Peter Watkins' brilliant 1964 documentary 'Culloden'. It was hailed by just about everyone as even-handed. It's a weird format: an interviewer talks with the main players, Leaders troops and clansmen; and the action's accompanied by a commentary on types of weapon and their effect on the enemy. The aftermath is well covered too, cant recommend it enough.

Heres a link to the BFI site if youre interested or it might be cheaper at Amazon. Cheers.
  9. Unknown_Quantity

Argus, Jindvik. Cheers for that.
  10. There will be an ISBN number on it. Every book published, even if it's vanity publishing, has to have an ISBN.
  11. Top book by a top bloke, Jeremy Black is a really nice guy and was always good to we military students at the RMA Annex Durham...