Asking questions of the Septics

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Bugsy, Aug 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's an interesting survey recently carried out in America. But I'm sure that a similar survey carried out in Blighty would produce results just as alarming. Of course, you're bound to get ignorant people in any country, but it does highlight just how little thought people give to the politicians and other institutions which directly impact their lives.

Placing my new tin-foil hat carefully on my head, I think this is a deliberate move by all gobments to distract from their catastrophic policies.

2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

What a great topic you have started, using, 'Septic,' right off the get-go! This should really all of us Yanks on notice, etc.

I don't know if you Brit's watch or even get the J. Leno show over in GB, however, this comedian, has a segment in his show, where he interviews american people on the street.

It never ceases to amaze me, how stupid, some of these people are. A number of them are in collage, etc. Some couldn't even identify who we fought in WW II. Who were our Allies. Some wouldn't even know Who was buried in Gen. Grants tomb, even if the question was worded that way!

I would be willing to bet, that if he went to London, or someone in your TV industry did this, you would be amazed how uninformed the average person, on the strreet can be, especially the younger generation can be. Although ask them about some 'rapper' or 'rock star, they will have the answers.
  3. If he went to London, he would be bl**dy lucky to stop someone who speaks English.
  4. "Seven Dwarves More Famous than Judges"

I'm not surprised, dwarves are funny, judges are dull. You can't bowl judges can you? Well you probably could, but it'd be shite.

Trip_Wire, relax you're on Brit Mil site (if you hadn't noticed) and Brit Mil use Septic as slang, it's not meant to be offensive, you should know that by now.
  5. It's cockney rhyming slang: 'septic tank' = 'yank'

In the same way that the Navy, Army, Air Force Institiute (NAAFI, a very, very inferior version of AAFES) is known as the 'colonel', which is short for 'colonel gadaffi' and equals 'NAAFI'.

My favourite at work at the moment is to refer to all the Civil Servants as 'strawberries' from 'strawberry mivvi' (a British Ice Cream, beloved of small children) which rhymes with 'Civvy'. They tend not to understand why I am calling them that, but are generally to timid to ask!
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

'Septic?" Yeah, so I've heard Bat_Crab! I'm well aware of the so called non-offensive word; however, I do as a Yank, find it offensive, for the reasons, I have given many times here. (I use a Septic Tank, in my home!) I guess, that no matter what you, or other Brits say here, I don't like the connection. between the use of the term and what it really is, a tank full of $hit.

As you state, it is your Mil board and I'm a guest here, so I'll have to "roll with the punches;" however, at the same time, I can express my opinions of the term, as I see it and let you know, that I don't like its use. Which I have done once again here.

Will my comments here change anything? Doubtful, but if I can influence one Brit here into not using the term for Yanks, I'd be happy! :wink:
  7. Hey, Trippy! Wossamarra wiv ya! Don't turn this into another "Brits versus Septics" thread. It's tedious, y'know?

The point I was trying to make was that people (unfortunately) know much more about thrivial shite than they do about the insidious workings of gobments and their institutions.

Peoples' personal lives are not influenced in any way if Shirley on the late afternoon soap doesn't get her man, or Bill on the show after that goes to jail. But they often fail to exhibit any interest in the very real issues which do affect their lives to a fundamental degree and which are decided by people whose existence is unknown to them.

You also mentioned that if Jay Leno asked his questions on London streets, he'd....... Read the second sentence of my original post, Trippy. That's exactly what I said.

8. Trip... you are happy to be known as a Yank and even use it to refer to yourself, yet the term has a host of different interpretations depending on who is saying it. Even in parts of the States it is derogatory, as it is in the far east, in other places it is neutral (as in the UK) and in other places and situations it is complimentary.

The point I'm making is that sometimes it isn't a word itself that has meaning, but rather how it is used that counts.'ll just have to take our word for it that we don't mean 'Septic' in a derogatory way and as it is our language, I think we have some authority on this. :)

Besides which, if you continue to focus on the word as you have been, I can see it taking on a new meaning....

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

You'll have to thank Bat_Crab, for some of my remarks on the 'word.' Although, I agree with what you were trying to say, about people (Almost Anywhere.) I thought the use of the 'word' in the title was sort of crude and unnecessary to make your point, IMHO.

I have said, what I thought about that 'words' usage and I see no need to keep defending what I said about it here. I expressed my opinion once again, thats all.

So people, lets get back to what the tread addresses, how stupid some people can be, when interviewed on everyday history, etc.
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I was born in a State, where the word Yankee, may be considered derogatory, because of the Civil War. (At least with those Southerners, still fighting that war,)

I don't recall 'Yank' being used in a derogatory way. It was used quite commonly in WW II to refer to Americans in our own media. It is still used by some media and others. Even the ones here and there in the world who hate us, generally use 'Yankee,' go home, etc. (Not Yank.)

I think most Americans, would approve of being called a 'Yank'. I can't say the same about Speptic or SPAM. (I'm not buying that SPAM canned meat stuff either!) :p
  11. How do you feel about 'Limey'?
  12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"How do you feel about 'Limey'?"

I think its a bit outdated, given the basis for it first use!

I wouldn't use the term; however, its not what I think of it, its what a Brit it is used on might think of its use. I prefer to use 'Brit.'
  13. J_D

J_D LE

You bumped into terry from Sydney aswell??
  14. That doesn't bother me, I've been called worse. As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to call me, Limey, Rosbif, Sassenach, Pom etc to your little heart's content - that's as long as it starts with a Capital Letter!

Now back to the topic.