Ask the Conservative Defence Spokesman

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Good CO, Mar 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The Conservative Party have asked for your questions for Dr Liam Fox, the party's Defence Spokesman. We'll be taking these proposals via our Yoosk page and Dr Fox will answer the most popular questions - as asked and voted for by you.

Regardless of which party you currently favour this is an excellent opportunity to take the debate that is a regular part of ARRSE onwards and upwards. Do please debate the questions and issues you would like to see addressed in this thread, but you must actually ask the questions via:

the ARRSE Yoosk Page (if you are a registered ARRSE user you will be automatically logged in)

I'll now hand over to the Conservatives:

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This is now live - over to you!
  3. Twaddle. This is going to happen whoever gets into power.

I would like to ask Dr Fox what the focus is in terms of the 'radical overhaul' of defence procurement. Will it be in line with Bernard Gray's recommendations, will it be focused on reducing the number of Civil Servants in DE&S or something else?

Secondly, would a Conservative led defence review be driven by military capability, capacity or cost?
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Good - have you asked those?
  5. :oops:

Note to self - read the thread.

I'm posting them now...
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I have asked a question, probably quite badly about how, if there is to be an SDR, can he at the same time restructure MoD and Procurement? It would appear that SDR would then have to fit into this restructuring rather than MoD and Procurement being set up to meet the requirements of the SDR. As I say I am not very good at asking questions so if anyone wishes to word it in a different, and no doubt better way, please do.
  7. Thanks for this Good CO. It is good to see that things are being sorted for us to have a say. We can argue later about whether this will have any impact.

Seems simple to me - if he thinks another five years would be disastrous for us, what would we have done differently in the previous five from the current Minister of Defence........
  8. I'd like to ask Dr Liam Fox his opinion of the NIMBYS who campaigned against the house for the families of injured soldiers at Selly Oak, and how he thinks he differs from them in his campaign against the building of a road for Bristol City Football Clubs new stadium in his constituency, that Bristol City Council has already been 'minded to approve' and has been approved by the Government Office for the South West .....

but it won't fit in the text box on the yoosk page:)
  9. I think you need to read the scope of the request for questions. I don't see football listed.
  10. It is a comparison with a service issue, a tenuous link true, but about as tenuous a link as the Conservative claim to be a party for the forces after the swathes of cuts in the 90s
  11. Job jobbed!

Here is my twopence worth

"In the event of a future foreign policy-led SDR identifying that our commitments outstrip our manpower and material capabilities will you increase the OVERALL Defence Budget to meet the perceived requirement for such manpower and material rather than playing the Service Chiefs against one another or "revisiting" the Review until it provides the correct answer?"

And my spall chocker would not change material to materiel :twisted:
  12. Which is a crying shame, because clearly the only thing that fucking matters at the moment is the state of Mr Beckhams tendons. Maybe the tories can justify their poor showing in the popularity polls on this and TBD can ask some awkward questions during PMQ's.

"What does the government propose to do about the massive underinvestment in defence and in particular David Beckhams sore foot? We would like to remind the PM that we know he is an overpaid and over-rated fuckwit of a midfielder but he forms an important link between the forwards and the defence and the government should not underestimate the sheer quantity of fuckwits in the UK whose sole purpose in life is to gaze at 22 other fuckwits hoofing a pigs bladder between four sticks for 90 minutes.
  13. Good Q!!!!

My spill chacker is ficked as woll!
  14. I would like to ask dr fox.Who is going to be number 1 this week in the charts and when will i get my start date :D